[SOLVED] Windows 10 and 2 Independent Boot Drives

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
I have installed AOMEI Partition Assistant 9.9.0 and it has the ability to copy/launch the Window files to an alternative drive. Does anyone like another prodcut better? Is there one that is free?

I installed Windows on an Samsung Ultra II SSD drive (not shown below) because the Samsung EVO 970 (original C Drive) would not accept a Windows install. I have since eliminated the original partitions on the Evo.

Can I copy the urrent Windows load on the Ultra II to the Evo? Am I able toggle between the two drives even if they will never be synched after the initial copy?

Will it cause any problems with the installed Programs? What about Data stored on a seperate disk?

Solution
Yes. I am trying to see if the Evo is 'hosed'. Like I said, I couldn't load Win 10 on it but I could on the Ultra II. I couldn't kil the original partitions. I can now! Any idea of a Utility to test the M2 and detrmine if there truly is a problem so I don't waaste anymore time with a Clone? Thanks.

I'd want to know what, if anything, is "wrong" with the EVO.

If it is so hosed that you can't clean install Windows on it (for some unknown reason), it may be so hosed that you wouldn't want to run Windows on it after a clone.

Can you better describe what happened during the EVO install?
Can I copy the urrent Windows load on the Ultra II to the Evo? Am I able toggle between the two drives even if they will never be synched after the initial copy?

Yes you can clone your Win 10 installation to other drive.

Please make sure that your system allows you to select which drive to boot from so that you can toggle between the two Win 10.

Will it cause any problems with the installed Programs? What about Data stored on a seperate disk?

No problem with the programs you installed previously, they will work normally but the changes you made will only be saved on the current drive.

There is no way to sync the changes made to Windows between the two drives, but you can manually sync some of your user data using cloud or USB flash...

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
I use Macrium Reflect for cloning.

Is there a specific reason you want a (moslty) identical OS on 2 drives?
Yes. I am trying to see if the Evo is 'hosed'. Like I said, I couldn't load Win 10 on it but I could on the Ultra II. I couldn't kil the original partitions. I can now! Any idea of a Utility to test the M2 and detrmine if there truly is a problem so I don't waaste anymore time with a Clone? Thanks.

If it is so hosed that you can't clean install Windows on it (for some unknown reason), it may be so hosed that you wouldn't want to run Windows on it after a clone.

Solution

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016

I do not remember the error message but the Windows install flat out cancelled. One time it almost completely finished then aborted the load. I created an Install thumb drive as prescribed using the MS tool. It worked on the Ultra II SSD but not the Evo.

I am still Blue screening so I am not sure what is happening. That is why I asked about a Utility above to ID or rule out an Evo problem. I will test the memory next.

Are there any Logfiles that explain what is causing a Blue Screen. Is there a local tool or one on the Web to determine if the M.2 is damaged?

Thanks.

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
You are blue screening with the hosed EVO totally disconnected?
I do not attribute the Bluescreening to the Evo since it is a dormant drive. If it is defective, I will pull it out of the MB. If it is fine, I will format then clone and use it since it is newer/faster than the Ultra II. I forgot about the Samsung Magician listed above.

Aside from the Evo, I need to determine if the problem lies in the Memory, MB, GPU or the Power Supply. Is this the sequence of events you would go with?

Is there a Logfile in Windows that shows a code that can be cross referenced to see what caused a a Bluescreen event?

Thanks again.