Windows 10 and G3258

hornirl

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014
Hi,

Anyone else (here) have trouble overclocking the G3258 with Windows 10 (Build 10240)?

See here (and further links in that post) for more details.

I have an ASUS H81M-PLUS but it doesn't seem restricted to that board alone, more a G3258-specific issue.

This is just to raise more awareness (here) than anything else- it's been raised/flagged elsewhere, but the launch is a few days away and no solution in sight.

P.S. Also see this post.

hornirl

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014
LoL, no, there is a fix until MS/Intel get around to a permanent 'sort':

Caveat: If you don't understand any of this you probably shouldn't try it at all, at least not without help, or wait for MS to fix.

Instructions:

If you are using an overclocked G3258 CPU and haven't yet updated to Windows 10, perform steps 1 and 2, save the settings as in step 3 (your machine will restart in Win 7/8/8.1), then perform the update, then continue with steps 4+. If you have already updated to Windows 10 and are having boot problems, follow instructions 1-8 exactly as here:

1. Get into your BIOS settings via your UEFI (hit F2 or DEL at boot screen).
2. Disable overclocking by setting multiplier on BOTH cores to 32 (stock 3.2GHz speed).
3. Save settings/exit/reboot- your machine should start OK in Win 10 with BOTH cores at stock 3.2GHz speed. You can check this is so in Task Manager or using a utility like CPU-Z.
4. Rename C:\Windows\System32\mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll to C:\Windows\System32\mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll.bak (and change permissions to be able to do so- on this single file only). To change permissions use this and this to get rights to rename and then restore rights back to TrustedInstaller on this single file only.
5. Reboot. Check it all works OK with CPU at stock 3.2GHz speed with the mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll file gone (actually not gone, just renamed but Win 10 doesn't process the file now).
6. Restart/reboot again- this time get back into your BIOS settings again via your UEFI (hit F2 or DEL at boot screen).
7. Enable overclocking again by changing multiplier on BOTH cores back to previous values (whatever you were using before step 2).
8. Save settings/exit/reboot- your machine should start OK in Win 10 with BOTH cores at previous overclocked values. You can check this is so in Task Manager or using a utility like CPU-Z.

Notes:

(a) On 2- You can disable only one core and leave the other at overclocked speed but what I'm suggesting I think is easier/'cleaner' (to debug++) as eventually you re-enable overclocking on both cores again anyway.
(b) On 4- You probably don't need to restore rights back on the bak file but I do for completeness so everything in the C:\Windows\System32 folder continues to have TrustedInstaller as owner). You can probably change rights on entire containing folder instead also (System 32 or Windows) but I prefer to be as specific as possible, so just the single file.
(c) If your UEFI allows, you can of course save your BIOS settings to a file BEFORE you change them in step 2, then load them back from this file in step 7.

Credits:

To the best of my knowledge first AVQPP from ASRock Forums and/or CarlosM Torres P at MS Forums

Good work.

I could not get my 4.5Ghz G3258 higher, even with the D15S. It needs too much voltage.