Windows 10 and gaming issues. Are they as likely on a fresh install of Windows 10?

electrickn

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
I've been reading a lot about people having issues with games crashing and not working after they upgraded to Windows 10.
Do you think this is more of a result of them upgrading from a previously optimized version of Windows 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10; vs loading said games on a fresh Windows 10 install?

Solution
I didn't have any issues beyond one issue. I did clean installs following an upgrade. I never actually used the upgraded install, but when Windows 10 first released, you had to do the upgrade before you did a clean install to get the digital entitlement. They've since made it so that you can go straight to a clean install. Anyway, I did a full back up of my STEAM install. Once I had Windows 10 all installed, I did an install of STEAM, then shut STEAM down and overwrote the STEAM folder with my back up. There was of course the typical having to install the prerequisite software the first time I launched a game (like Visual C Redistributable, .NET stuff, etc), but most games launched once STEAM had downloaded and installed these...

bitwright

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
I haven't had any specific or significant issues running games on Windows 10. At least none that I could blame on Windows itself. I clean installed though, as I have never had much good luck with in-place upgrades. That's probably the cause of most people's problems too.

I didn't have any issues beyond one issue. I did clean installs following an upgrade. I never actually used the upgraded install, but when Windows 10 first released, you had to do the upgrade before you did a clean install to get the digital entitlement. They've since made it so that you can go straight to a clean install. Anyway, I did a full back up of my STEAM install. Once I had Windows 10 all installed, I did an install of STEAM, then shut STEAM down and overwrote the STEAM folder with my back up. There was of course the typical having to install the prerequisite software the first time I launched a game (like Visual C Redistributable, .NET stuff, etc), but most games launched once STEAM had downloaded and installed these. There were a few games that had problems that I had to do a game cache verify to fix. I had maybe one game that I had to delete the local content and re-install from scratch. However I didn't have a single game that didn't work after these steps were taken.

My one son had a game (Brutal Legend) that had some weird artifacting that I couldn't fix after installing Windows 10. However he recently upgraded his system and when I installed it on his new system (also Windows 10) it worked fine. So I'm not sure what happened there.

Solution