[SOLVED] Windows 10 and new systems

Jan 15, 2022
Hello, I am upgrading my pc almost entirely, other than my HDD (1tb) and ram (16gb). Im getting a b550m-a mobo, 3060ti, r5 5600x, 4000d case, kraken x53, 750W gold v2 fully modular, if this is useful Anyway, my question is how would I go about cloning my HDD onto my SSD with a new fresh install of windows to avoid issues with drivers etc. I am aware of cloning software such as AOMEI, but this is my first build, coming from a prebuild, I would like to know what would I have to do to make this possible if it is in the first place.

Solution
Hello, I am upgrading my pc almost entirely, other than my HDD (1tb) and ram (16gb). Im getting a b550m-a mobo, 3060ti, r5 5600x, 4000d case, kraken x53, 750W gold v2 fully modular, if this is useful Anyway, my question is how would I go about cloning my HDD onto my SSD with a new fresh install of windows to avoid issues with drivers etc. I am aware of cloning software such as AOMEI, but this is my first build, coming from a prebuild, I would like to know what would I have to do to make this possible if it is in the first place.
You don't.

This new system gets a full fresh OS install.
Not a clone from what was on the old drive and system...
Jan 15, 2022

USAFRet

Titan
You don't.

Not a clone from what was on the old drive and system.

Solution
Jan 15, 2022
You don't.

Not a clone from what was on the old drive and system.

so what ur saying is that I cannot keep anything like game save files or anything like that?

Jan 15, 2022
Game saves and your personal files....find all those and save elsewhere and offline.
That is different than the OS and everything else on that drive.

You are going to be doing a full OS install. This includes drivers, applications, everything.
what if i used the same drive and updated to windows 11?

Jan 15, 2022
Also, strongly recommend you get an SSD for this new system. At least for your OS and applications.
i'm getting an m.2 and i was gonna clone the hdd to the ssd then update to windows 11 to dodge any driver issues i was wondering if that would work.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
i'm getting an m.2 and i was gonna clone the hdd to the ssd then update to windows 11 to dodge any driver issues i was wondering if that would work.
Whichever drive, whichever OS....a new install, while it is in the new hardware.

Since you want a new SSD, and Win 11....then that is what you will do...a fresh install in the new hardware.

No clone, no moving it from system to system.

Hello Cyders .... Somebody may be able to explain this better than me but as i understand it each copy of windows is somehow electronically tagged to the motherboard of the system you install it on and the licence key automatically registers itself. If you use the operating system on another mobo the automatic registration may detect it has been used before and stop it from being used. So even though you want to upgrade to windows 11 you may not get chance to do it.

As i say somebody may be able to explain this better than me and i bet it will be USAFRet

USAFRet

Titan
Hello Cyders .... Somebody may be able to explain this better than me but as i understand it each copy of windows is somehow electronically tagged to the motherboard of the system you install it on and the licence key automatically registers itself. If you use the operating system on another mobo the automatic registration may detect it has been used before and stop it from being used. So even though you want to upgrade to windows 11 you may not get chance to do it.

As i say somebody may be able to explain this better than me and i bet it will be USAFRet
Depends on where the license came from.

It can be one of two things:
  1. Either a preinstalled OEM that is tied to that specific motherboard
  2. Obtained otherwise, which is generally linked to a Microsoft account. i.e. You, and not hardware.
Look in your MS account to see what, if any, license is linked to your MS account.

This being apparently OEM, the current WIn 10 license probably cannot be transferred to different hardware. Probably, not definitively.
Being an older system, it also cannot be Upgraded to Win 11.

NOTE: This license thing has nothing to do with the actual operation...booting up in new hardware.

This new system requires a fresh OS install. no matter which version. Win 10 or 11.
It will also need its own license.

Solution:
Sell the old OEM system as a unit. Including its original license.
Apply those funds to the new system, including buying a valid license.

Or just bite the bullet and purchase a new license anyway.