Windows 10 And Nvidia GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zkool

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015
Hye guys so I read some website saying Windows 10 is killing gpus from NVidia I have a gtx 750 and I have windows 10 installed but I didn't install updates so will it do anything and plus I have the final version not the preview

Solution
Odd since my GTX 980 Ti works wonderfully in Windows 10. Make sure when reading boards you pay attention to the build that they are referring too. NVidia did push a newer version of the Windows 10 driver through Windows Update. An earlier version of that drive was a little buggy but certainly wasn't killing GPUs. They have updated to again newer driver via Windows Update that seems to work just fine.

NVidia is offering an older driver on their webpage right now then you can get from Windows Update.

Again to make sure it's clear. The driver being delivered through Windows Update is a driver written by NVidia, not Microsoft.

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Odd since my GTX 980 Ti works wonderfully in Windows 10. Make sure when reading boards you pay attention to the build that they are referring too. NVidia did push a newer version of the Windows 10 driver through Windows Update. An earlier version of that drive was a little buggy but certainly wasn't killing GPUs. They have updated to again newer driver via Windows Update that seems to work just fine.

NVidia is offering an older driver on their webpage right now then you can get from Windows Update.

Again to make sure it's clear. The driver being delivered through Windows Update is a driver written by NVidia, not Microsoft.

Solution

Fineus_

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

Kyllien,

I'm going to be building a new system in the next few days based around a GTX 980Ti and Windows 10.

What you posted made sense - but which source would you advise getting my graphics card driver from to ensure a working build: nVidia's page or Windows Update?

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

Either source is fine. If you install the driver from NVidias website Windows update will update it.

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Both articles refer to driver version 353.54. I guess that mine is working extremely well because I have driver version 353.62. Also most of the complaints are with SLI configs, which according to the NVidia forum they have been having problems with for a while.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Very misleading clickbait headline, read the article it doesn't say anything about it killing graphics cards. There are some problems with the drivers especially with sli setups. But it wont harm the hardware of your graphics card.

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
'Kill', really. There are some serious idiots who get to write on the internet. It just confuses people who don't know much about computers. Thats all i'm gonna say on that issue.

Make sure your nvidia drivers are up to date before you upgrade. Then update them again once you have. Nvidia experience does it for you in one click. Most people having issues probably haven't updated any of them for a long time.

If anyone is interested, my GTX 980 runs just fine under windows 10.

Kernowarrior

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
I'm not even getting past the info box where you reserve a copy....it just says that windows won't update to 10 because of nvidia mera sound and nvidia. My friend has same rig and is all good??

Status
Not open for further replies.