Windows 10 and UEFI get caught in INACCESSBLE-Boot-Device after installation and Windows Boot Manager

quwerty

Reputable
May 8, 2015
Fresh install of Windows 10 Edu with a new computer.

In the first try I had SSD and HDD at the same time but for the same problems as with the HDD now I wanted to clone/shift Windows later with some tools to the SSD.

Anyways, I have CSM and Only UEFI activated for my motherboard (Asrock Fatality K4) and after switching boot device the installtion works, I had to switch the partition style of the HDD (GPT error and such + Shift+F10 and some commands) and I started after a second formatting of the HDD.
Installations works like a charm, PC needs to reboot, starts again and I´m greeted by the Inaccessible Boot Device error. Restarting PC I see the HDD now listed with Windows Boot Manager, the UEFI DVDRAM (where the installation disk is) and the SATA connection of the DVDRAM.

When I switch to the Windows Boot Manager and start again the error is still there, DVDRAM will bring up installation again.

What to do?

Solution
did you get inaccessible drive error on the ssd or just the hdd? I know you got the gpt one but not sure about the other one.

I am running out of ideas, its not normal for the same error to occur on 2 drives.

try this:
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
We need to use the Bootrec.exe tool. Click on command prompt and type in the following commands, one after the other:
bootrec /RebuildBcd
bootrec /fixMbr
bootrec /fixboot
Exit

Now go ahead and reboot your system. In some cases you may need to run some additional commands.
bootsect /nt60 SYS or bootsect /nt60 ALL

you...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Judging by manual having CSM on is recommended

Enable to launch the Compatibility Support Module. Please do not disable unless you’re running a WHCK test. If you are using Windows 8.1 64-bit and all of your devices support UEFI, you may also disable CSM for faster boot speed.

but not really essential for win 10. It shouldn't make any difference.

what did you do when you got the GPT error? What you should have done is deleted all the partitions and let Windows 10 create them itself.

quwerty

Reputable
May 8, 2015
I started the installation once again like your recommended, the CSM setting was enabled (I think but when I deactivate it the HDD wont even show up).

Installation went clean as usual but boot still crashes into the same error. I deleted all partitions and let Windows create them.
However the HDD wont show with an UEFI tag in the boot order (unlike the optical drive where the installation disk is)

Here are some pics of the most relevant settings, I tried some things out but it still will crash into the same error. This time the HDD didnt show up as another tab as Windows Boot Manager either

Colif

Win 11 Master
Where doesn't the hdd show up if CSM disabled?

I am curious what the HDD partitions look like, I wonder if its set it up as MBR. Try turning secure boot off and have hdd as top in boot order... only cause you had CSM turned on.

one possibility is its the windows installer you used. The edu version has problems and you lucky to avoid one of them, perhaps the advice here will help: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3363547/fix-windows-complete-installation-error-installing-windows-academic-version.html

quwerty

Reputable
May 8, 2015
Like in the second picture or the main UEFI screen, the HDD wont show up if I disable the second option in the sub menu of CSM.

I can select multiple Windows version that shall be installed (Pro/Home/Edu)

Colif

Win 11 Master
is the 2nd option Launch PXE opROM Policy as I don't want you to touch that. That is for network booting I think.

You should be able to click on CSM and enable/disable it If that is menu you mean, I don't know what it includes as manual doesn't tell me)

have you tried to install to ssd? I wonder if problem might be the hdd?

quwerty

Reputable
May 8, 2015
http://imgur.com/LmCo6KE

Like that, if CSM is disabled the HDD wont show anywhere, no in this picture where it is one top or anywhere else in the other pic you see in the album.

I tried what you suggested prior but the error remains, Windows logo comes up with loading circle and crashes back into IBD

I tried to install it to the SS first but I didnt work, thats why I switched to the HDD to install Windows. The SSD had the error with the wrong partition style (GPT or how its called)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its not going to be both drives, you would think.

One thing it might be, which I hadn't thought of until now, is ram. Try running the free version of memtest86 on your ram sticks, one at a time. Any errors means ram stick is bad. It makes a bootable USB so you don't need windows to run it.

Do you have latest BIOS? (I wish all companies included their instructions like Asrock do) You need the instant flash version to do it from in bios. None of them mention win 10 installs but its one of the constants.

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you get inaccessible drive error on the ssd or just the hdd? I know you got the gpt one but not sure about the other one.

I am running out of ideas, its not normal for the same error to occur on 2 drives.

try this:
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
We need to use the Bootrec.exe tool. Click on command prompt and type in the following commands, one after the other:
bootrec /RebuildBcd
bootrec /fixMbr
bootrec /fixboot
Exit

Now go ahead and reboot your system. In some cases you may need to run some additional commands.

you shouldn't need to do this but maybe Windows Boot Manager has a record of the ssd for some reason and is looking for it to boot off.

Solution

quwerty

Reputable
May 8, 2015
OK, after flash I started again but booting from HDD crashes again. I used your commands and after a restart I started installation again. I added the SSD again and left the UEFI settings.
Multipe partitions showed (Recovery/MSR), I tried to delete them and after I coudnt format the SSD or HDD, and installation showed that it coudnt proceed to the next step. restartin the installer showed only the prior deleted partitions again. I restarted and booted again from SSD but somehow an installer came up again.
Somehow my installation CD copied the installation files to the SSD when I wanted to install Windows in the first case. Should I just use the installer that is now on the SSD?

quwerty

Reputable
May 8, 2015
Ok I went to take a look inside the installer from SSD and I see multiple partitions (with MSR/Recovery).

When I select the SSD, I get thet note that I cant be used on this disk(SSD) because it is in GPT partition style

quwerty

Reputable
May 8, 2015
It worked, the installation cd moved windows to the SSD, I started it as primary boot and went once more into installation. With cmd before starting installation

bootrec /RebuildBcd
bootrec /fixMbr
bootrec /fixboot
Exit

After restart I went the same way only to hit cmd again and configure the SSD as MBR, installed it after and was greeted by an working OS