Windows 10 Anniversary Update Coming This Summer, Free To Win10 Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallenshell

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It slightly worries me that they have to keep mentioning "free" with their updates...

I believe that is because for so long we have been seeing updates either as patches or big service packs. Then we shell out a small pile of money for the next big version of windows and repeat the process. MS is supposedly doing a more frequent update (yearly) but eventually will probably charge for these but a lesser amount than a new OS would cost. So they stress free so people will just update and not get their hackles up more updates etc.

Anaxamenes

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
It slightly worries me that they have to keep mentioning "free" with their updates...

Well free Windows is still a relatively new concept, since it's only been Windows 10 you haven't had to pay for. They want people to continue to upgrade, and most consumers have been conditioned to "Free" or "Sale" as trigger words to buy something.

G

Private data? Crying like a kid about private data is about 10 years to old now. Get over it. Get a Job and pay for things and maybe you won't be so worried lol.

And when all your industrial secrets are gone to your competition, soon to be followed by your job, maybe then you'll understand the value of data.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

100% Sure. Nice that you know my name. Anything important about me (good and bad) is already known by the people who need to know. So like I said. nothing to hide.

RobtheRobot

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016
The settings are a mess, all over, it's much harder to find stuff and fix it, it's slower, crashes, BSODs.. Full of bugs, bloatware, spyware and unwanted adverts, it's intrusive and it's been made deliberately harder to change the settings from Microsoft's own rubbish. I hate it with a passion. Bring back 8.1

RobtheRobot

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016
Totally underwhelmed, especially as Windows 10 has so far been a lot worse than 8.1.

Please will they just get rid of the spyware and the bloatware and the adverts, tidy up the mess of the settings, and fix the goddamn bugs

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Totally underwhelmed, especially as Windows 10 has so far been a lot worse than 8.1.

Please will they just get rid of the spyware and the bloatware and the adverts, tidy up the mess of the settings, and fix the goddamn bugs

well you could install spybot- Anti beacon it will disable all of that if you are that paranoid . and on that note dont use google or anything cause they do the same thing

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I think "Robtherobot" forgot to log out and into one of his alternate trolling accounts there... Too bad comment sections on tech sites are always ruined by these kind of corporate funded FUD posts.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004

I believe that is because for so long we have been seeing updates either as patches or big service packs. Then we shell out a small pile of money for the next big version of windows and repeat the process. MS is supposedly doing a more frequent update (yearly) but eventually will probably charge for these but a lesser amount than a new OS would cost. So they stress free so people will just update and not get their hackles up more updates etc.

I believe they moved to more of an advertising model similar to Google and Facebook. You, who likes "free", are the product. Hence the free/mandatory updates. I am sure they are aware and actively develop and circumvent (in their labs) whatever the user community undoes with Destroy Windows Spying, Spybot, etc. Be it by giving big updates that reset privacy/data collection defaults, make users go through new setup screens with defaults more cleverly positioned within the GUI, new internal tracking mechanisms all designed to push that threshold of the lowest common denominator (user) in their favor, after all they owe it to the stockholders and advertisers.

spider2k

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
i could care less about private. i want to have control over all the crap i dont want running or the fact that win10 updates drivers to what it wants whether they are good or bad.

i had to revert back to a previous synaptics driver 3 times on my last machine because it kept updating without my permission and the "tool" you can download from microsoft didn't stop it.

Then don't use Windows. You are not forced to use Windows.

A name is nothing private. It is a public record.

That is weird isn't it? However doesn't the free upgrade thing end this summer (July IIRC)? So if a somebody who hasn't upgraded wants it, they will have to pay for Windows 10 whereas for us that already switched, it equates into an update.

spider2k

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

90% of the time i don't. the other 10% i'm stuck because of game compatibility.

thanks for your flippant response.

No it won't "disable all that".

1. Spybot Anti-Beacon primarily provides easier access to settings within windows that you can turn off. It does not provide access to the settings that you can't turn off. The only way to block it all is to never install it and / or block all the IPs that collect the data ... tho it is very easy for MS to change these.

http://techraptor.net/content/microsoft-admits-some-data-collection-cant-be-disabled-doesnt-consider-it-a-privacy-concern

2. If you're not using Win 10 because you care about privacy, you wouldn't use google for the same reason. You are also turning on all of the privacy features of your browser (unless of course it's Google's or MS's as they do not have them) and you hav likely also installed Privacy Badger to eliminate tracking.

https://www.eff.org/privacybadger

With Win10 MS changed its financial model to Google's who has long had oodles of cash rolling in w/o actually selling a product but selling data about you to others. Soon however, MS will double dip, taking in cash a la Google and doubling down and taking your cash for your license / subscription. It will be interesting to see how they marry the "you must install all updates" and "we will now start charging you for updates" models.

Put this in the same category as telemarketers who love it when you click that "unsubscribe" button to take them off their e-mail list. Many do comply with the law and take you off "that" list but immediately place your contact information on another list which they can sell to others at a higher price because the address "has been confirmed" as yours.

And let's also watch as the "free internet" turns into "free TV" where you must sit thru a sales pitch before you have access to the information. It's no coincidence that the growth of "turn off your adblocker for access to the site" popups have become prevalent since the introduction of Win 10.

MS had a 9% adoption rate for Win 10 among eligible Win 7 / 8 users. The fact that 90% had not upgraded as of the end of February is telling in a world of "click me I'm free" auto responders. Expect MS to ramp up the pressure and tricks to for upgrades as those like MarkMonitor who pay millions for access to the collected data are putting pressure on MS to meet their promised penetration rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.