Windows 10 App Save Location Grayed Out

Mechonis

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014
As the titles suggests, the area where I can modify an app's location in my Windows 10 Pro installation is grayed out. Using the winver command, I have determined that my version 1511 and the build is 10586.164. I thought version 1511 added the feature to change storage for apps. I've tried running Windows Update, chkdsk, and Fix Problems with Windows Update to try and resolve the issue. Windows Update found nothing new and both other methods claimed nothing was wrong.

I'm really at a loss here, as I don't want to be writing big game installs to the default C drive location.

It's also worth noting that going to "Apps and features" page and trying to select a Windows 10 app results in the page closing and nothing happening. Choosing a regular program on the page opens the options to "Modify" or "Uninstall" (with "Modify being grayed out on certain programs). Some regular programs also show up as "Unavailable" yet they are up to date and run fine.

Solution
Had Microsoft help me through their online Help Desk chat. They had a heck of a time figuring out what was wrong, but eventually found out that certain components of the Windows 10 install were massively corrupted.

Using the Windows 10 installation tool, they reinstalled Windows (keeping all settings, file, and programs). This seems to have done the trick. I now have access to control where Windows 10 apps install and the apps & features page no longer closes when a Windows 10 app is selected.

Mechonis

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014

The issue is with Windows 10 apps. Other programs can just be installed via their own installer to any location without any trouble.

USAFRet

Titan

And the system is fully up to date with patches?

Mechonis

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014

Windows Update just found a new update and installed it. My current build is now 10586.218. Still no improvement in the areas mentioned previously. Manually checking Windows Update again results in no new updates being found.

Mechonis

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014
Had Microsoft help me through their online Help Desk chat. They had a heck of a time figuring out what was wrong, but eventually found out that certain components of the Windows 10 install were massively corrupted.

Using the Windows 10 installation tool, they reinstalled Windows (keeping all settings, file, and programs). This seems to have done the trick. I now have access to control where Windows 10 apps install and the apps & features page no longer closes when a Windows 10 app is selected.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts