Question Windows 10 at Start suddenly extreme slow

caylean

Reputable
Apr 13, 2019
Hey guys,
I am having trouble in finding a solution to my problem, that wouldn't end in reinstalling Windows 10, but maybe you have one?

So I have a HP Omen 17-an102ng Laptop.
i5-8300H
GTX 1060 6GB
8G Ram
128 SSD + 1TB HDD
Windows 10 10.0.17134

It started like a week ago when I had opened my Laptop after I came back from work and the laptop showed the desktop, but when I launched Final Fantasy 14 and Discord, the Laptop seemed to be frozen. The Fan had started for a moment, then went slower until it seemed to be completely off. I could move the mouse, click and open other apps, well, from the looks at least, but nothing opened. Ctrl+Alt+Del ... Nothing.

So I made a forced Reboot, some Seconds Power Button until off.

Restarted the Laptop, Fans spinning, Windows 10 Login Screen and..... Fans went slower and Off AGAIN.... I was freaking at that moment.
Power Button Reboot again. Pulled Powercord and checked if that would change a bit. But nothing. I was waiting, and waiting, but it seemed to be to no avail. When I was about to give up, I plugged the cable back in and BOOM, there was Fanspin, Loading, everything worked like always.

No Problems for the next hours, playing, watching Movies and Internet was like normal.

Next day, same problem! This time a bit more patient, I had waited.. and waited... and BOOM, after like 40-60 Seconds, the System started working. After this, no more Issues... Until I did a reboot.

Today I had now the first time, that the Computer made the same thing again, but not after a reboot, but after I had stopped playing and wanted to check a website!!! Really nothing fancy at all.

Do you guys have any idea what could be causing this? Did someone ever encountered something like this and found a solution to fix it?

I would be more than happy to have my little Maschine working properly again ....

Kind Regards

Colif

Win 11 Master
reboot or restart? I hate these terms, did you shutdown/startup or use the restart button in power menu of start?

Try a clean boot and see if its same - read instructions carefully and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or win 10 won't boot right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if that fixes it, the cause is likely a start up program. Slowly (over a few restarts) add the programs you stopped back to start up, try to isolate the cause

have you run the HP Support assistant? https://www8.hp.com/au/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html

caylean

Reputable
Apr 13, 2019
reboot or restart? I hate these terms, did you shutdown/startup or use the restart button in power menu of start?

I extra tried to make sure that it was clear with the "Power Button Press" that I had shutdown the Computer. I had even waited a bit to (re)start it again.
Menu Restart wasn't working, as no Menu was showing up. Taskmanager and everything else also didn't showed up.

Try a clean boot and see if its same
Will do that, thanks.

have you run the HP Support assistant?
Will do that too.

Just as a sidenote. To write this comment, I had just opened my Laptop, just like the first time when it occured... and everything worked just fine.

By the way, I usually not actually turn off the Laptop once I am done working. I just close the Lid, wait a moment that it actually .. I guess .. hybernates and then I leave. With waiting I mean that I check that the RGB LED on my Mouse stop working. I had in the past on rare occasions that the Laptop seemed to NOT hybernate when I closed the Lid, as the Mouse LED's were still on.

Thanks for the two points I shall check them out as soon as possible.

caylean

Reputable
Apr 13, 2019
Okay, I have actually found the solution.

Hibernation deactivation: No Effect, still same Problem.
HP Support Assistant: No Issues shown.
Clean Boot: Didn't tried it actually, would have proberbly shown that it works, as long as the Virus Scanner was not started, because....

Avira Antivir was causing the issues. It somehow got bloated like a bad Capacitator, bad automatic update perhaps?
When I had last encountered the issue (today), I was able to see in my Tray, that the first thing that popped up, after like 90 Seconds waiting was my Virus Scanner and after that everything was like normal at full speed. So when I had checked installed Software, I found that Avira had instead of its expected size of maybe like 300-500MB a whopping 2GB of size.

As I am using my Laptop for Gaming and Netflix, am aware of proper Internet/Link usage, I am pretty sure that Defender should do for now the trick.

Kind regards and Thanks for the Help

As I am using my Laptop for Gaming and Netflix, am aware of proper Internet/Link usage, I am pretty sure that Defender should do for now the trick.
Although your laptop is plenty capable of handling it, Defender is one of the most resource hungry AV applications for Win 10. Avira is fine, Avast! or AVG may treat you better as far as free AV programs go.

In any case, glad to hear things are back to normal. :)