Windows 10 Auto Update Troubleshooting Thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maria93

Commendable
BANNED
Feb 3, 2017
Head to Settings> Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced Options > Defer Upgrades. Open a command prompt as an administrator by typing cmd into the search bar, then right-clicking on the result to open with elevated privileges. When prompted enter sfc /scan now to begin a check that scans the operating system for signs of corrupt files.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pedro Ivo

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I want to install an older AMD driver and this shitty windows keeps reinstalling the latest crimson drivers. These drivers are garbage and keeps downclocking my GPU and I keep getting FPS drops on light games. How do I proceed? And I have already tried disabling the updates on the advanced system settings, didn't work.

MikeLevin

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017
So the only solution for Win 10 Home users is to upgrade it to Professional?
Not so clever step from Microsoft company.

esswun

Commendable
Mar 29, 2017
Whatever steps I took to disable Auto Updates on Windows 10 Home worked too well. I can't even manually update now; it just says "updates available" and hangs at 0% updating.

I changed everything back to normal that I could remember but it still doesn't work. I think I made some kind of registry entry as part of my effort to block the updates but now I can't remember.

Anyone have any ideas what to do? Do I need to reinstall the whole thing or what?

SYED MUBARAK MEHDI

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

If will stop the windows update service, it will work but other inbuilt applications may not work properly, like Movies and TV app...
I believe this is not the best option to go...

ammawatson

Prominent
May 5, 2017
Need Window 10 Support Help? We are here to help you with Various Window Related Issues.Our Experience technicians team are available 24/7 to deal with your Window problems. Call window helpline number +1-888-455-5589 now to get instant Window support with Instantly Solutions.

For window, Activation Issues Call Us 1-888-455-5589

alexander_109

Prominent
May 17, 2017
The company tells affected users to open the Recovery Console and rollback to a previous Windows 10 build or even Windows 7 or Windows 8 if their entitlement still exists. Given the problem stops many users’ PCs from booting correctly, Microsoft offers a solution to do this from Safe Mode:

1. Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power > Restart.
2. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
3. After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode.
4. Open the Settings app.
5. Select Update & security and then the Recovery tab.
6. Under "Go back to an earlier build", click the Get started button and follow the instructions.

RednBlack

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
I just received the new update. After rebooting, Windows detected a driver issue. It was for my mouse which worked fine, but always had a driver issue show up in device manager. I clicked "troubleshoot" and it found and installed a driver. After that, my mouse AND keyboard stopped working.

My keyboard's backlight still lights up. My mouse and keyboard work fine in the UEFI menu, but as soon as I get to the Windows login screen, they don't work. I have tried different usb ports to no luck.

Stephen_Batich

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017
I fixed my problem by re-installing the Creator update. Something funny went sideways with NTFS on several computers on the domain, that was forcing any new domain user profile to immeditally log off. New profile for an existing domain admin would let you log in, but the start menu was non-functional.

MrMario

Honorable
Aug 11, 2015
UPDATE:
I disabled the welcome screen/lock screen. Now when the computer turns on, it goes directly to password input. Faster anyway.

ORIGINAL POST:
I've had a problem with my lock screen since the Creator's update.

Often when I turn on the computer the login screen doesn't respond properly when I try to type in my password.
Pressing any key at the login screen is supposed to take you to the password screen, but it stays at the initial lock screen. Additionally, the text nudges upwards when I press any key.

Eventually pressing some key gets me to the password screen, but I'm not sure what's causing the problem.
Any ideas?

Feb 14, 2018
I had problems that started with the first of a series of updates referencing Adobe Acrobat Readers. I was unable to apply it starting in late November 2017, but a more recent February 8, 2018 patch came out. My system is at the latest windows 10 Release, 16299.214 but the updates applied reports under Windows Update show illogical and incorrect indications of update problems. How can I "fix" the installation log to reflect what is actually there in the list of installed updates that is displayed when you invoke the "Uninstall" option?

Mar 13, 2018
If you place a connection to the Internet in the metered state of Windows 10, Windows will avoid downloading updates when connecting to this connection. Windows 10 will automatically put some connections (such as mobile data connection) into metered status. But you can also set your own connections to the metered state in a limited state. As long as the connection status is limited, Windows updates will not be downloaded. Also, after disconnecting and reconnecting, the connector status remains in the metered mode, unless you reset it from the metered mode.

As a result, if you are using a limited traffic Internet, it is suggested to enable metered status on it. You can disable the metered status from the connection during the late hours of the free download, so that updates can be made.

To do this, first connect to your Internet connection in Windows.

Then run the Settings app.

Go to Network & Internet and click the Advanced options under the list of Wi-Fi networks.

Now set Set as metered connection to On.

As mentioned, this option only affects your current Internet connection and Windows remembers this setting separately for each connection.
After activating this option, if you go to Windows Update, you will see that Windows considers your current connection to be a limited connection and prevents automatic updates. But there's still a download button for downloading updates at your discretion.

Turn off Windows 10 auto-updates through the registry

This method is available through the Windows Registry Editor and is available in all versions of Windows 10 except for the Home Edition.

First press the Win + R combination keys.

In the Run window, type regedit and enter.

In the Registry Editor window, go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows \ WindowsUpdate \ AU
Right-click on the space on the right of the window and select DWORD Value (32-bit) from the New menu.

Name this new value as AUOptions.

Double-click on AUOptions, and in the window that opens, enter the value in the Value field based on one of the following:

1: Notification before downloading and installing updates.
2: Download auto downloads and information before installing them.
3: Download the automated downloads and plan to install them.
 Then click on the OK button.

You can download registry files from the list to change the Windows Update settings here, and download each one to your own.

I had issues recently with the Windows auto-update process trying to upgrade from 1703 to 1803 feature update in a professional environment and thought I'd share the fix. I noticed a lot of PCs would not update and had the same Failed to update to 1709 messages repeatedly listed in the Update history. I ran the staple of usual virus and malware scans.

I went through every step on the microsoft web site:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10164/fix-windows-update-errors

Answered "no" to the "Did that fix the problem?" question until I got to the second to last troubleshooting item:
Run the in-place Windows Upgrade.
Rather than creating the install media, I chose the "Update Now" option.
The update finally worked! FYI - It took around 1.5 hours going from 1703 to 1803.

If that hadn't worked, the last step in troubleshooting the issue suggested by Microsoft was to perform a clean installation of Windows 10!

I had the problem with update failure. The update got stuck at 84%(It took 45min to reach 84% and was stuck for 45min) during restart and system reverted back to previous version of Windows(this took around 1hr). Complete waste of time. I disabled the update and left the Windows on previous version for now.

Dec 9, 2018

I had the hassle with update failure. The update got caught at eighty four%(It took 45min to attain eighty four% and become caught for 45min) during restart and device reverted lower back to preceding version of home windows(this took round 1hr). whole waste of time. I disabled the update and left the windows on previous model for now

I just love when you restart your PC and are presented with a black screen or blinking white cursor at the top left on a black screen. Historically, the cursor at the top left would indicate an issue with the boot process (or an "OH SH17!" moment as we say in "The Biz"). With the most recent Windows update, I found it's just part of the update with zero feedback; not the feature update, mind you, but rather an interim update. I guess Microsoft really knows how to keep things fresh and exciting!?!

Jan 7, 2019

That's exactly my problem, please guide friends

Status
Not open for further replies.