[SOLVED] Windows 10 black screen after sleep mode

Dec 30, 2019
I have quite strange issue.

My PC updated recently on windows 10, i had windows 7 earlier. At the same ssd disk was installed on my pc, i have also old hdd on my pc. My pc is desktop pc.

When i put PC sleep mode, it wake normally if sleep is really short, like im back on my pc couple of minutes. But if the sleeping time is more longer when im trying to wake PC i can see really fast flashing picture on display (maybe desktop, it is so fast that it is hard to see) and then screen goes black. Only way i can get display working again, is to force shut down PC and take power cord off display and then put it back, then i can start PC normally.

More strange this same happen if i have shutted PC, and when starting it again, i can see fast motherboard name flashing on the screen and then black screen, the only way start it normally i must do those same things like i wroted upper.

I have tried to fix it this things: on cmd powercfg -h off. I have also visit device manager and there check USB ports -> properties ->power management-> and disable "allow pc save power shutting down this", i did this all those usb ports that i could. Also im checked that my keyboard and mouse allows wake PC.

Any of those dont change that proplem at all, so im quite confusing.

I try give more details if that help: on the display is white power light when power is "on", and orange when power "sleep", and no light when it is power at all. If i try start PC the light goes white, and stay white even i must force shut down PC becouse of that black screen on display. Only taking power cord off makes the display light go black, and when returning that cord, then it is orange light. This just detail, im not sure would this help.

Im also thinking would it be that way my screen is going broke, but strange if that happen just when im updating my windows.

Edit: They updated win 7 -> win 10 on local PC and maintenence store, and installed that SSD. On my old HDD is all my files, there is also program files x86, on the SSD is also program files x86, so im thinking is it ok if there is two same name folders.

My PC has it own monitor on DVI cabel, and then television is also connected on PC via HDMI. I have maked PC monitor the main display. Just wondering would those two monitor cause some of those black screen issues.

Solution
So im wondering could be that they have disappeared when i runned that "powercfg -h off" command.
probably... thats 1 less easy fix.

well, your intel graphics driver is from 2015. You don't really need this unless one of the screens is attached to motherboard out and not GPU?

this is a newer wifi driver - https://support.killernetworking.com/download/killer-drivers-installation-64bit/
intel smart connect is from 2014, wonder what it does
Intel® Smart Connect Technology is designed to update programs by periodically waking your computer from sleep/standby mode for a short time. This function works with applications that automatically get their data from the Internet, such as Outlook* and Windows* Live Mail...

Colif

Win 11 Master
note: if you wondering why this post disappeared and you had to remake it and it disappeared, it went into a spam filter since you edited it. I have deleted your 1st post since its essentially this one again.

If you edit this again, it likely go into same list and we just enable it again :)

Is this a brand name PC or custom made? If brand name, what make/model? If custom, what parts have you got?

dit: They updated win 7 -> win 10 on local PC and maintenence store, and installed that SSD. On my old HDD is all my files, there is also program files x86, on the SSD is also program files x86, so im thinking is it ok if there is two same name folders.

the folder names might be same but drive paths will be different, that is fine.

Can you right click start
choose disk management
this opens another program, can you take a screenshot that shows all the columns and follow this to link a picture here - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-post-images-on-the-toms-hardware-forum.3555760/

curious what it looks like as I wonder if they took hdd out when they installed onto ssd.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019
Ah thanks Colif!
I was really wondering why it disappeared, so thanks that! :)

This is custom made PC, and it has work fine, until that W10 update

Dec 30, 2019
The Parts i have, umm, that is good question, becouse this is quite old (6 years if remember right)

Intel i7-3770K
Ram 16GT
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
Evga geforge gtx 1070 ti
Power is xfx 550w, those wats im not sure, so 500-600w i think

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would turn fast startup off, it might help the blank screen at startup - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html - what fast startup does is, instead of turning PC off at shutdown, it hibernates it instead and saves a copy of open drivers + kernel into ram. So on startup, half of the drivers already loaded and meant to speed up startup on hdd. Downside is drivers that aren't written for WIn 10 new power schemes can crash.
On a Z77 board, I would say you might have something like that. This isn't a fix, its just a work around.

If you have an ssd, you don't need fast startup.

Sleep is likely drivers as well. Everything here is from 2015, good chance Win 10 has loaded newer drivers - https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77 Extreme4/#Download

can you download and run Driver view - all it does is shows currently running drivers.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

When you run it, go into View Tab and set it to hide all MIcrosoft drivers
, as it will make list much shorter
Can you take a screen shot showing from (and including) Driver name to (and including) Creation date. Upload same way as I showed before. I look to see whats running and see if I can find newer versions.

Dec 30, 2019
Okies!

Here is that disk management, or at least i try send it. It is on finnish, so feel free ask, if need those translated.

Also, im trying to search those specs that you ask, drivers etc

Dec 30, 2019
Not wasted time at all, it is good to know that is ok:)

Driver list, so you mean those motherboard, cpu, gpu, etc drivers?
I will try get them on the device manager, so just a sec

Dec 30, 2019
So here is drivers that i think are important, feel free ask more if there is something that i didint understand to pick :)

Intel cpu I7 driver: 10.0.18362.387
Gtx 1070 ti driver: 26.21.14.4166
Intel HD graphics 4000 driver: 10.18.10.5069

If i understand right, that cpu driver is really, really oldish. You suggest i update it? It is better update it on device manager, or manually download drivers?

Dec 30, 2019
Wow!

Thats ultra friendly you Colif, i really appreciate your help.

Here is driver list you asked.
xbmY5NG.jpg

Dec 30, 2019
I tried that fast startup guide option 1.
Looks like there is only "Sleep" and "Lock" showing, even i pressed that change setting that is currently unavailable. I add photo.

I remember i have visited here before, when im trying to change those hibernate settings, then there was that hibernate and fast sleep options too. So im wondering could be that they have disappeared when i runned that "powercfg -h off" command.

I could also trying that option two to shut down that fast starup, or try "powercfg -h on" to see if those options come back then.

Dec 30, 2019
Oh the, photo, forgot. So it looks like this.

gjLuTAq.jpg

Edit:
I used at cmd that "powercfg -h" on, and those settings are back again, so i checked hibernate and fast start up off.
GbzoYZc.jpg

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
So im wondering could be that they have disappeared when i runned that "powercfg -h off" command.
probably... thats 1 less easy fix.

well, your intel graphics driver is from 2015. You don't really need this unless one of the screens is attached to motherboard out and not GPU?

this is a newer wifi driver - https://support.killernetworking.com/download/killer-drivers-installation-64bit/
intel smart connect is from 2014, wonder what it does
Intel® Smart Connect Technology is designed to update programs by periodically waking your computer from sleep/standby mode for a short time. This function works with applications that automatically get their data from the Internet, such as Outlook* and Windows* Live Mail.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005632/technologies.html
makes me go hmmm... sleep? a 2014 driver was made before win 10

Appears its not on win 10 -
Intel® Smart Connect Technology
Date: 08/25/2014 Version: 5.0.10.2850 (Latest) OS: Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7*

Do you have it showing in Apps list? can you uninstall it?

no newer wiDI drivers, yours are from 2015 and it seems INtel no longer uses it - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26793/Intel-Widi (its wireless display anyway, I doubt you use it)

Everything else is fairly recent

I assume you have bios 2.90

Solution
Dec 30, 2019
Thanks Colif, you are assuming right, i have bios 2.90

That intel smart diagnostics is odd, cant find that on apps list.

I have now close my PC, but i will be back those solutions after couple of days.
So i continue then fixing this thing.

Thank you for your help :)