Windows 10 Black Screen After Updating

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DBLXD

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
So, I updated my computer to Windows 10, and when I turned it on, it shows a black screen with only the mouse showing. It shows the Asus logo, then loads Windows, then goes to the black screen.

Please help me, Thank you!

Solution

Try this...
Press Win+p, down arrow, then enter. This switches your active screen.

Monsun

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015

What drivers do I uninstall and how? And how do I reinstall them?
Regards monsun

DBLXD

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
I still have this problem. Luckily I have been able to get back to Windows 8.1 though...

Here are my specs if it helps:
Intel Core i5-4460
nVidia Geforce GTX 750
1 TB Hard Drive
8GB Ram
Idk Motherboard
(ASUS ROG G20AJ)

CherylRae

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015

THANK YOU I-Magin!! While the ctrl+alt+esc didn't work, your suggestion of the HDMI cord did! My son had an issue with his ASUS gaming computer after he downloaded Windows 10 and we had no clue what to do with this black screen with only a mouse arrow that worked, oh and the Analog little circle in the left hand of the screen! You saved the day and us probably a quick $100 (by having NOT to take it to Best Buy). I got the HDMI cord, hooked it up and BAM works again, thank you Video Gods! Too bad I didn't read Tom's Hardware thread before I reset his computer....he had to download all of the games again, but hey, I am happy and soon he will be too!! Thanks again I-Magin!! And Tom's Hardware, you are a bookmark of ours now!

HappyMom

Mrballoonknot

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015

Try this...
Press Win+p, down arrow, then enter. This switches your active screen.

Solution

garhart

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

DingdongJR

Reputable
Sep 25, 2015
Hey guys, I don't know if this will fix your issue but it fixed mine. Check your BIOS, and update it! My issue was not a driver issue but actually a BIOS issue all along. I spent ages trying to replace the drivers when that was not the problem. As it turns out, my BIOS version was dated at 2011, checking the intel website for a BIOS update for my laptop and installing it solved this issue. Check your BIOS. I hope this helps. :p

xtnt

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013
A bit off topic-but does anyone have any notable third party software installed?

I forgot to note that I have been having big problems using some security tools.
They do not always work - a few weeks ago Avast caused windows explorer to go blank, and upon logging out and back in, caused Cortana to stop working, with an error message. It kept showing up upon log in. My start menu interface, such as the menu button and apps would not operate, and my desktop icons could not be clicked on.

Yesterday, Comodo gave me a completely black screen within windows with the cursor also disappearing. They were installed on different occasions, and upon removal (avast has a removal tool), windows started working again. Any heavy security software, or software in general, is probably not a good idea when windows 10 was seemingly such a rushed release. I am now using Bitdefender free and Windows firewall on 10 (with Glasswire, a simple windows firewall program blocking tool)

KelDet

Reputable
Nov 24, 2015
HELP! I updated my Dell laptop and it has the black screen of death. I can get to the point where I need to enter my password. I log on and can see my screen momentarily, then it goes black. I do have a mouse. If I press control+alt+del, I can get task manager. From there I can access my files. I have tried:
updating BIOS
reinstalling Intel driver
pressing ctrl on the blank screen then entering my password then press enter
pressing space bar on the blank screen then entering my password then press enter
Windows Key+p+down arrow then enter
Unplugging my external mouse and restarting without plugging it back in

I used to have Windows 7. Although I can get to my files, I cannot get it to restore back to Windows 7. I have been on forum after forum trying to get my computer back. Am I missing something? I not very tech savvy, but I've tried everything I'm capable of. I really don't want to pay geek squad if it's something simple.

Etienne_1

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015

NOT_PROVIDED_379

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015
I updated my windows 7 to windows 10, and had the black screen after logging in with only a cursor visible. For me, it was because windows thought I had multiple displays and was loading the desktop onto a non existent display. Try holding down the windows key, press the left arrow key twice, and then enter, and let go of the windows key. If this is the problem, your desktop will load shortly. Hope this helps!

KelDet

Reputable
Nov 24, 2015
After a long, useless talk with a windows tech (who did not help in any way) I got desperate and started deleting installed programs. When they were all gone, my computer worked! Maybe it was the anti virus software, maybe the photo editor. Who knows. I haven't loaded anything back on it yet except for firefox and itunes. I'm worried it'll happen again.

traumadisaster

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
My fix was to connect a second monitor.

For months I would start to black screen but could hear win logo theme and my cpu cycle sounded normal with lights and hardware cycling up as usual so I knew it was a signal issue.

Also received many display adapter failed and recovered error messages yet I keep gfx card updated. Display properties however show that it's not been updated to the 2 Dec updates and is showing a Nov driver date. So I may need to remove drivers fully again.

The other way I could randomly get it to work was to switch hdmi and dvi outputs to the tv and restart. that started to not work this week. So I had to unplug system for 5 min and restart, which that after a few min I would lose signal while at desktop.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have had this happen two days in a row and my install is 6 months old now so not a new thing. Both times I have gone into safe mode and uninstalled the Display Adaptor as well as the drivers associated with it, second time I also deleted the Nvidia Geforce Experience program before going into safe mode, just to stop it reapplying the same drivers again when I restarted PC.

I think I caused this by installing a new gpu without removing the drivers. They both Asus Nvidia cards so I figured it should have worked.

I noticed the problem only seems to happen on a fresh start to day, if I hit reset it often loads properly. So today I shut it down and restarted and though it was slow to show a desktop, it did actually load one so fingers crossed it works fine tomorrow. If it reoccurs I have loaded the Guru3d Display Driver Uninstaller to remove any stubborn Nvidia drivers once and for all.

Here are Microsoft's solutions for this problem: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Status
Not open for further replies.