Windows 10 Black Screen After Updating

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBLXD

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
So, I updated my computer to Windows 10, and when I turned it on, it shows a black screen with only the mouse showing. It shows the Asus logo, then loads Windows, then goes to the black screen.

Please help me, Thank you!

Solution

Try this...
Press Win+p, down arrow, then enter. This switches your active screen.

[strike]Ctrl Alt Delete > Task Manager > If task manager doesn't show up use (WITHOUT CLICKING ANYWHERE FIRST)> Windows Key + Left or Right arrow keys to get it to switch monitors > use Task Manager to force explorer.exe to run.

Also try clicking the black screen, it may just be a blank lock screen. Also try entering your password and pressing enter, ect.[/strike]

Maybe ignore this.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
Is it still updating the install? I heard that the upgrade process will reboot upwards of 3 times with the process sounding similar to what you're experiencing atm. I haven't done the upgrade yet myself, but plan on it once I get home.

He's right, I forgot the update may take 30mins to an hour to finish.

FlesbSoup

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
My computer's doing the same thing and I've waited two hours with nothing else happening other than a black screen with just my cursor. Good job Microsoft. I appreciate you killing my computer :D

daniielrp

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
I had the same thing - after login just black screen with cursur. No solution yet but I was able to open task manager and then get into settings and downgrade back to Windows 8.1 for now.

Apparently a big bug patch has been released so going to try 10 again later today.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
It probably explains why when I got home yesterday my computer is still giving the "we'll notify you when it's ready" message. I must not have been part of the first group; although I've been on their list for months and was beta testing it as well (virtual machine).

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
Just got upgraded to Windows 10 last night. The process went pretty smooth overall. I did notice a couple things through the upgrade process that might help people.

Upon the first reboot, my bios screen stayed up for about 10-15 minutes; looking like it had locked up. It had eventually continued the process.

During the actual install (with the circle filling and the percentage in the center), at one point my screen did flicker off and did not come back for about a half hour, after which about another 50% of the install finished when the screen came back.

The desktop came up fine, but one thing I had noticed was that my AV was disabled (Bitdefender) and required a repair. I did its repair. The machine was rebooted and I ended up with a blank screen only with mouse showing. It did resolve itself once I had '3 finger saluted' the machine, ctrl+alt+delete, to bring up the task manager. Another update was ran on Bitdefender, with another reboot, and now everything runs fine. I'm thinking those stuck at the blank screen stage may be due their antivirus interfering with it.

Finally, my raptor desktop app informed me right away that there was a driver update for my AMD card. Ran the installer, rebooted. Everything works great.

jeffq314

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015
Please help me, Thank you!

Windows may think you have another monitor attached. Try plugging your computer into another monitor (PC, HDMI, etc.) You should see a fancy new login screen somewhere.
- Jeff H.

Ranjha Singh

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015

how can you be part of beta testing and not part of first group i did not beta test i was able to get it on 29th

xtnt

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013
My own laptop installed and finally ended on a similar black screen and mouse cursor.
In my case I hit ctnl+alt+delete, chose to log out and back in again, and the system was finally working. The issue in my case was possibly down with the laptops intel integrated gfx drivers not being compatible, not recognising the new operating system, as I was given an on screen intel pop up message after logging in again, stating if I changed resolution from what was default, I could damage the hardware. Resolutions that my system or monitor cannot handle, are currently not blocked out and are still showing in software that allows me to change the display, so if I choose a resolution too high, that could result in problems damaging the pc.

Compatibility is poor at the moment when it comes to some popular hardware. So far on various forums third party firewalls, old hp printer drivers and graphics cards of just about any era seem to be on top. Whether intel will bother to update my generic drivers for windows 10 compatible ones (on a two year old system) remains to be seen.

What are your specs? What operating system was installed before the update? Do you have integrated or (most likely) dedicated graphics? Googling 'black screen cursor asus windows 10' gives up similar issues but from what I can see no real solutions.

You might still be able to go back to last known config, or try a repair, or boot from a previous image eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N28hQCmzY0

if anyone has a black screen (only) and dedicated gfx, it may be a case of non compatibility and or integrated gfx set back on. it might be solved by plugging in your displays hdmi or gfx cable into the integrated gfx port of your system instead of the dedicated gfx to get an image, then disabling the integrated display drivers within windows, setting dedicated gfx device drivers to automatic, then attempting an update after the next restart. for a laptop, try connecting to another device eg tv or monitor using a display cable that both are both capable of, such as rgb or hdmi

SuperJoe21

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015
I am having the same issue, but not getting a log in screen. It just goes to black screen with mouse pointer. I managed to get into the bios and now my screen doesn't work. What do I do?

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

That's what I was confused about as well. It rather pissed me off... lol. Oh well, I just ended up downloading the upgrade tools right from Microsoft's website and did the upgrade that way. I also followed an article on forbes that showed me how to view my activation code for Windows 10 in case I ever have to reinstall it from scratch. I even downloaded a flash image of 10 with the tool just in case.

Outside a couple minor issues (gigabyte easy tune software messed up and was reinstalled, antivirus needed repaired, acceleration turned off on Chrome), everything went pretty smooth with the upgrade process.

RIOUXGRANDE

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
I don't even have a mouse or logo....just a pure black screen. I let it sit over night and nothing changed. My only option is to clean install windows 8.1 again in which I'll lose all my SSD data....fortunately it's only a few games and such

SuperJoe21

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015

Unplug any monitor and use a hdmi cable. It's a phantom screen. Once the hdmi is plugged in it will show up. After that uninstall driver and upgrade it. Change the display so your monitor is the primary screen. Hope that helps. I was on the phone with my tech guy for 1 hour.

RIOUXGRANDE

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
I am using a Dell UltraSharp 2007WFP 20 inch screen with an HDMI cable. I tried unplugging the cable and had no success. So maybe a different sequence of steps could help but as far as I know it won't make a difference.

G

Re: SuperJoe21,
same problem here, I did use only HDMI cable although my LCD has two connections, the other one is for the TV cable box, I don't know if this was the problem. Will try again later.

Goatly

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015
Hello. I had this same issue with an ASUS HDMI monitor. After updating my Windows 7 to Windows 10 I was unable to see a mouse pointer and the screen would remain black. I left my screen set for over 7 hours before I couldn't take it anymore. Through looking, I found several suggestions about holding the Windows logo key and P. Pressing down, down and Enter. This did not work. Some people also suggested if you password your computer to wait till it has loaded and then press space once and enter your password blindly and press enter. This failed for me.

I found my SOLUTION:

If your monitor is anything like mine it will have a button on the front of the screen that swaps it from HDMI, VGA and DVI. I unplugged my HDMI first (I didn't need to, I was testing something else) and found when I swapped to DVI I was able to see the Windows 10 fixing errors on my C drive. (Probably from holding my power button to restart it.)

After letting it repair the errors I was able to successfully go through the setup and get Windows 10 installed and video card drivers UPDATED. I have reverted back to my HDMI cable and everything is running okay. Restarted and it turned back on successfully!!

SuperJoe21

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015

I did get mine working. So after an hour and half talking to Tech Support, finally got Windows 10 working. Here is what you need to do if you get the Black Screen with just a mouse pointer: First thing is unplug your DVI-D monitor cord and plug in a HDMI cord to either your TV or Monitor. Once that is done it should show up on your screen. After you are able to LOG IN there are a few steps to take to do this: 1. Uninstall drivers and reinstall them. 2. Change your Monitor select screen to make sure your Main monitor is set to PRIMARY. 3. Restart your computer and plug in your DVI-D cable and unplug the HDMI cable. With this it should work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.