Question Windows 10 black screen on boot.

Melvin_6

Honorable
Mar 30, 2016
So I have a asus mobo an sudenly got a warning from the bios. "Asus anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply". And I couldn't boot to windows anymore(only got a black screen).

Then the following stuff with no success:

• Disable Asus anti-surge.
  • Run chkdsk c: /r on safe mode. I could boot on safe mode though.
  • Push clear_cmos button on my mobo.
Then I tried doing a complete reset but I got a black screen mid instalation. Then tried downloading windows into a bootable drive and doing a clean install. And while in the instalation process (Keyboard settings, privacy setting etc) I still got a black screen. I though maybe it was my ssd ( is like 5 years old) so I tried installing on my second one (Like 3 years old). After that I still got the same problem. Idk what else to do TBH. I would like to know at least what is failing so I can replace it. :(

My spec are

CPU: Skylake Intel® Core™ i5-6600K Processor
Motherboard: Asus maximus 8 hero
Ram: 16 Ram Ballistix Sport DD4
SSD/HDD: Two 850 EVO SATA SSD 250GB
GPU: Nvidia 980 ti
PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold + (80 plus gold)

I created windows instalation media using their tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 )

Update:

I removed GPU and I was able to boot windows (with integrated graphics card). Also noticed that my GPU was really hot when I removed it. This means is the GPU right? Or it could still be the PSU?

Last edited: