Windows 10 black screen randomly - Version 1607

Sejersen

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2013
Hey guys,

Recently, as in within the latest week, I've started getting these random "black screens" where I'm not able to use any applications or close anything.

As soon as I use any windows function (Such as Ctrl - Alt - Delete) the screen goes dark and it's like everything is greyed out (I can't click on anything, nothing responds). The only thing that works is rebooting my computer. But having to do that each time I want to try something else than playing a game or browsing the internet, is a bit annoying.

Any ideas as to what this might be?

Solution
Sometimes Windows gets too fragmented on the Hard Disk/SSD or gets corrupted. When this happens, sometimes it's repairable, sometimes not. Sometimes it's something else like bad ram or the ram needs to be re-seated (re-installed; cleans the contacts in the slot).
Try this first. Go into Computer> C: drive, right click the icon which pops up the C drive window> find Properties (usually at the bottom of the window) > In Properties click Tools>click Error Checking > scan the disk and let it run.
This will check for disk errors and corrupt windows files and try to repair them. It doesn't work for every application but it's worth a try. If it fixes the problem, run the defragmenting tool (defrag) to get the disk in order. Even if it doesn't...

Sejersen

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2013

Yea, I saw that - The thing is my windows update stops at 75%.
- Is it possible to update windows any other way? Like an ISO file?

Furthermore, I seem to be able to use apps such as Microsoft Edge and the Microsoft Store... But the app-bar in the bottom is non-responsive, apps won't open nor close.
Alt - F4 doesn't respond either and Ctrl-Alt-Delete just blackens the screen, except my cursor.

Usually it happens after 10 minutes or so...

Rexer

Distinguished
Sometimes Windows gets too fragmented on the Hard Disk/SSD or gets corrupted. When this happens, sometimes it's repairable, sometimes not. Sometimes it's something else like bad ram or the ram needs to be re-seated (re-installed; cleans the contacts in the slot).
Try this first. Go into Computer> C: drive, right click the icon which pops up the C drive window> find Properties (usually at the bottom of the window) > In Properties click Tools>click Error Checking > scan the disk and let it run.
This will check for disk errors and corrupt windows files and try to repair them. It doesn't work for every application but it's worth a try. If it fixes the problem, run the defragmenting tool (defrag) to get the disk in order. Even if it doesn't fix the problem it doesn't hurt and is worth running these tools. Use the 'disk cleaner' to get rid of temp files which do nothing but clog up the computer.
I recently fixed a computer that became saturated with a virus that downloaded malware and spyware throughout the computer. Yeah, it was a real pain. I first had to run an anti-virus program (like Windows Defender), the clean-up tool (to get rid of possible infected temp files), an antispyware program and an anti-malware (to rid of possible malicious downloaders or back door programs). Because Windows was fragmented and was almost hosed, I ran the Error Checker and defrag tool then the clean up tool to get rid of protected virus residuals. It took a whole day to fix and clean but it's running fine. Windows has many of the tools built in or you can find them online. I doubt this is your problem but if you've never run tools for hiding viruses or malware it wouldn't hurt to run them.
Hope this helps.

Solution

Rexer

Distinguished

Notice you have Cougar Turbine fans. Love to know from hands on user. Heard they push huge amounts of air. Not too concern about db noise. I have corsair 140mm. quiet but only medium push (about 65 cfm). Not happy.

Rexer

Distinguished

Wow. Pretty impressive fans. Thanks for replying.
Two months ago, I purchased a Vega 64 with a blower fan and I cannot keep the temps from rising through the roof. Blower fans are known to move out more air than they can take in so I fashioned a scoop over it to catch air from the front case fan blowing in. Believe it or not, it brought the temperature down 7c out of the mid 80's. So my next hope is replacing a slow 90mm with two 120mm fans. I never thought buying fans would lead to a serious search. I'm finding out some fans have better blade dynamics than others.
In spring, I plan on buying a water block for the Vega. But for now I think your Cougar Turbine fans look to be the big ticket. Thanks for the tip.

Rexer

Distinguished