[SOLVED] Windows 10 black screen with flickering white tasbar

Sevolox

Commendable
Aug 26, 2019
As the title suggests, I updated windows about a month ago and it has caused a black screen with a flickering (or reloading?) white (normally black/grey) taskbar. I am currently up to date on Windows.
I have an RTX 2060S graphics card which is up to date on drivers so I don't think that would be the issue.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Solution
is that all you get for a desktop or is it just something you see on way to win 10 starting?

can you share some screenshots as then I know what you seeing

if its desktop, have you tried safe mode?
from the logon screen/pin entry screen,
click the power button in bottom right
while holding left shift, click the restart button
this restarts PC in a blue menu

choose troubleshoot

choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

Colif

Win 11 Master
is that all you get for a desktop or is it just something you see on way to win 10 starting?

choose troubleshoot

choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.

Solution

Sevolox

Commendable
Aug 26, 2019

choose troubleshoot

choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
I would send some screenshots but my PC is effectively unusable whilst it's in that state. The best way I can describe it is the homescreen is completely black with just the taskbar on the bottom which is all white other than the start menu icon on the left. The taskbar disappears and reapers repeatedly in a one-second cycle, which goes on for a random amount of time before my PC finally loads normally and allows me to use it.
I can use Ctrl+Alt+Del and use those options but that's it, with the task manager flickering if it's open. I'll give safe mode a try but the problem still seems odd to me that it's happening.

Dec 21, 2020
Did you manage to solve it? If so, how?

@Colif I'm having the same issue as described, so rather than creating a new post, will ask for help here. The screen looks like the video at View: https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/gpdmyw/windows_10_blackscreen_with_flashing_taskbar_pc/
- it doesn't happen every time I boot up, and affects multiple users of the PC. I tried using Device Manager to locate drivers for devices which are no longer in my PC, and uninstalled their drivers. It happens maybe 80% of the time when I boot up, but Startup Repair fails when I try to run it. If I just wait it out (45-60s) then the machine is seemingly fine. When I boot into Safe Mode so far I haven't been able to replicate the issue, so feels like a driver issue, but not sure how to track it down - do you have any tips?

TIA!

As the title suggests, I updated windows about a month ago and it has caused a black screen with a flickering (or reloading?) white (normally black/grey) taskbar. I am currently up to date on Windows.
I have an RTX 2060S graphics card which is up to date on drivers so I don't think that would be the issue.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Dec 21, 2020
Update. I may have found a cause / solution. I had Virtual Super Resolution enabled in the Radeon tool (even though monitors were still set to their native resolutions). I've since disabled that, and in 3 boot-ups haven't had the issue reoccurring 😬.

Sevolox

Commendable
Aug 26, 2019
Update. I may have found a cause / solution. I had Virtual Super Resolution enabled in the Radeon tool (even though monitors were still set to their native resolutions). I've since disabled that, and in 3 boot-ups haven't had the issue reoccurring 😬.
Hello! I don't know if you're still having this issue since it's almost a year later, but I managed to fix the issue I was having (as well as the same issue my brother coincidentally had). It seems it was a faulty secondary HDD which after its removal fixed the problem.