Windows 10 black screen without cursor after logo after bios update

kurzag

Commendable
Mar 19, 2017
Hi,

After completing my new system I am having some problems with windows 10. My system is,

CPU:: Intel i5-7600k
Mobo: Gigabyte Z270 Gaming K3
GPU:: ASUS GTX 1060 Dual 6GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 3000MHz
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB
SSD: Sandisk 120 GB

Everything was ok at first, I put all of them together and installed windows 10 from a USB flash I created with the media creation tool. I downloaded my drivers and everything, all seemed fine, games were working and windows had no problems restarting itself etc. But then I updated my bios to F5 from my mobo's website and windows wouldn't boot after that. POST screen with gigabyte shows up, then the windows 10 logo and the wheel turns for a second or two and the screen goes black with no cursor.

I have since tried the following:

- Unplug all USB and try boot
- Unplug the HDD so only SSD (with OS) remains
- Clean install of windows 10 --> when I do, windows starts for the first time, I install mobo and graphics drivers and restart again but encounter the same problem
- Clear CMOS
- Try with 1 ram stick in each slot --> In one of the tries, windows managed to get its repair going, I could access the troubleshooting menu, It said it was resetting my pc but black screen came once again after I reboot

I guess the only thing I haven't tried is to flash an older BIOS version. Not even sure if I can do it, but if I can could that be a solution? Is there anything I'm missing? Do I now have to install a windows 7?

kurzag

Commendable
Mar 19, 2017
I managed to boot into windows after I loaded optimized defaults on the BIOS but that was the only time, once I restarted the same problem persists. One thing I realized, all the failed windows boots happen after a post screen with a strange resolution, where DEL: bios setup and END: qflash writings dont fit in the screen. After the optimized defaults for the first time the post screen was its natural resolution but it only happened one time.

I couldn't find any info how to use dual BIOS, and I can't downgrade my bios version to F4 now, I tried and it says its not the most updated version. Should I try F6, the newest version? It says here it prohibits updtaing to earlier bios versions, but I can't manage to do it with F5 anyways

http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z270-Gaming-K3-rev-10#support-dl

kurzag

Commendable
Mar 19, 2017
That I've done as well, removed the graphics card and tried with onboard DVI but nothing appeared on the screen not even the POST screen. I'll give the lastest F6 version a try now and see if it does anything.

kurzag

Commendable
Mar 19, 2017
I tried the onboard DVI output once again after I removed the graphics card and it doesn't seem to work. Does this mean the mobo is faulted? Could this be the reason why windows won't seem to boot or it does but I can't see it, even with a separate GPU? Everything was working just yesterday, I played Overwatch and Far Cry Primal for some 2 hours with no problem at all, or even just an hour ago when I first loaded optimized defaults on the BIOS I managed to boot into windows with true resolution and seemingly everything working fine.