Windows 10 Black Screen

BouncingSquares

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
I recently returned from vacation, and when I turned my computer on yesterday for the first time since I've been back, it seemed to be booting up as normal, but after the screen with the Windows logo, the screen just went black. This seems to be a relatively common problem, but many of the solutions seem to expect you to somehow be able to access the operating system without being able to see anything on your screen. The other solutions have not worked for me.

I have tried:
- Running in safe mode, both with and without networking. I get the same results - black screen.
- Resetting my Windows installation, both keeping my files and deleting my files. It goes 1% and then says, "undoing changes," and tells me there was an error and Windows could not be reset.
- System restore - it says there are no restore points, even though there should be.
- Startup repair - it just says it's attempting repairs forever. I let it go overnight and it was still attempting repairs probably 12 hours after I started it.
- Go back to the previous build - I don't remember for sure, but I think it just said that it could not be done with no explanation or specific error.
- Ran chkdsk and it said that it found errors, but when I ran chkdsk with /F, it said there were no errors.

The timing couldn't really have been any more perfect because I planned to (and did) buy parts for a new build; however I didn't buy storage for it. My OS is on a small SSD with just a few other applications, so reformatting is not a big deal, and I was going to have to do it anyway. But I'm concerned that it's a hardware issue since none of the troubleshooting has worked.

Any ideas?

may be a gpu failure or bad windows update. the last update from ms wiped out peoples personal files. on your pc try and clear the cmos. if there a gpu and your pc has onboard video when the pc blacks out see if the onboard video port is working. if there no output to that port. pull the gpu and in the bios make sure the ipgpu is on. if you think windows got a bad update from another pc download widows media creation tool and with an 8g usb stick make a new bootable windowds iso usb stick. boot from it and then try and roll back windows. if not try installing a clean version of windows see if it boots fine.