[SOLVED] Windows 10 Blue logo on start up?

Solution
UEFI and GPT

Before 2009 all PC used legacy boot method.
With legacy, the drives are formatted as Master Boot Record (MBR) and the boot partition is always the 1st partition on the drive. It has draw backs, the biggest being mbr drives can only be max size of 2.2tb

In 2009 UEFI was released to fix and modernise the BIOS so it could be more future proof.
UEFI = Unified Extensible Firmware Interface
UEFI supports both Legacy and a new boot method, named after itself.
UEFI boot method supports MBR as well as GPT

GPT drives main advantages over MBR are fact you can have up to 256 Partitions on a drive (MBR only supports max of 4 without tricks) and max drive size is 18.8 million TB which will take us a while to reach.
On...

Colif

Win 11 Master
can try running start up repair
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now
this loads windows into a blue menu at startup
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

another fix is to make sure you have newest drivers for motherboard as it might be PC is just waiting for a device to answer before he gets to login screen.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are specs of the PC? you might want to run some scans on boot drive and check its okay
Try running scans using HD Tune or HD Sentinel and see what SMART score your drive is showing.

do you have an ssd or hdd?

open command prompt with admin rights
if you have an ssd, type chkdsk C: /f and press enter
if you have a hdd, type chkdsk c: /f /r and press enter
2 paragraphs will pop up, type Y and press enter to agree to run it at startup
restart PC to let it run.

The most consistent fix I have found for srttrail.txt errors is a clean install. Although thats no fix if you just did it. Makes me think there is something wrong with boot drive

how new was installer you used to install windows? if its recent, you can try a repair install - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

coneil3822

Prominent
Nov 1, 2019
Intel i5 9600K
16gb ram
Windows 10 pro
GPU Gigabyte 1070 ti

I have done clean install of windows 3 times now and still the same. Im using hdd and ssd. I wiped my hdd and installed windows on the ssd.
I will run the programs you recommend when i get home from work.

Colif

Win 11 Master
was hdd in pc when you installed on ssd? If so, windows could have put its boot partition on the hdd and that might be causing the slowdown at startup
Can you show us a screenshot of Disk management?
right click start
choose disk management
open next window to show all the columns
take screenshot and upload to an image sharing website and show a link here

Colif

Win 11 Master
I see motherboard set up as legacy boot since both drives set us MBR.

It shouldn't make any difference but you don't have a boot partition, since your C drive is just 1 partition. Windows will create a 2nd partition when you install next version update - I know as my 1st install of win 10 only had 1 partition as well. A normal win 10 install has at least 2 partitions

If you want to have (recommended) the 450 MB (UEFI-GPT) or 500 MB (Legacy BIOS-MBR) System Reserved partition in addition to the Windows C: partition on a HDD or SSD after installation, then you would need to make sure that all partitions on the drive have been deleted until it is only unallocated space. Next, select the unallocated drive to install Windows on. If there are no partitions on the disk, you will get the System Reserved partition.

If you do not want to have the 450 MB (UEFI-GPT) or 500 MB (Legacy BIOS-MBR) System Reserved partition and only the Windows C: partition on a HDD or SSD after installation, then select a formatted partition or drive to install Windows on. If there are any partitions on the disk, you won't get the System Reserved partition.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

is the 1tb hdd showing in boot order? it shouldn't since it has no install on it but might slow down boot.

coneil3822

Prominent
Nov 1, 2019
I just installed Windows using a USB I don't know what you mean by legacy or UEFI. I just booted from the USB and installed Windows. The 1 tb HDD is showing in the boot order even though it is empty. I just wanted the OS on the SSD, I didn't want a partition on the HDD as I wanted Windows to be faster. Why cant the partition be installed on the SSD? Is it because it is too small.

Thanks for all your replies your being very helpful :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Remove hdd from boot order, it doesn't have the files the bios is looking for and it is only slowing down boot.

When you install windows, do you do an upgrade install or a custom install? if the 1st its likely using the partitions that already exist and it explains why you only have 1 partition.

SSD has the boot files on it, they are all on C drive. The partition marked as System is the boot partition, in your PC it is the ssd,

Its late here, I need sleep. I will look in here in a few hours once my brain works again :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
UEFI and GPT

Before 2009 all PC used legacy boot method.
With legacy, the drives are formatted as Master Boot Record (MBR) and the boot partition is always the 1st partition on the drive. It has draw backs, the biggest being mbr drives can only be max size of 2.2tb

In 2009 UEFI was released to fix and modernise the BIOS so it could be more future proof.
UEFI = Unified Extensible Firmware Interface
UEFI supports both Legacy and a new boot method, named after itself.
UEFI boot method supports MBR as well as GPT

GPT drives main advantages over MBR are fact you can have up to 256 Partitions on a drive (MBR only supports max of 4 without tricks) and max drive size is 18.8 million TB which will take us a while to reach.
On Machines using GPT, the boot partition can be anywhere, even on network drives. It is a lot more flexible, it doesn't need to be 1st partition.

You don't need to know any of this, as your drives aren't big enough to warrant swapping

Solution
When you are ready to do a fresh install of Windows, do the following (make sure all data is backed up):
  1. In the BIOS, for SATA mode, make sure AHCI is selected (I am not sure if this board has anything beyond this and RAID, so just making sure).
  2. For the Boot order, or your USB drive is listed twice (once with EUFI), choose the EUFI option as the first/selected option.
  3. Unplug your hard drive.
  4. During the Windows 10 install process, when it shows your drive, tell it to delete the partition and click next. Don't worry about creating a new one. Windows will do that for you.
  5. After the install completes, reattach your hard drive and install all drivers from the Asrock website.