GPU: Aorus RX 580
MOBO: Aorus Gaming 7
RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR4 16GB (2x8) 3000mhz, 16GB (2x8) 3200mhz
PSU: Thermaltake Smart RGB 700 Watt 80+
FANS: 4x120mm(2 in, 1 out)
SSD: 2 SSD 120gb, 250gb
HDD: 2TB Seagate

I keep getting the bsod driver_irql_not_less_or_equal
After long gaming sessions, how do I fix this??

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
So they just aren’t compatible? It seems to be working fine when I use blender but then when I go to gaming after about 40 mins it just freezes but can hear sound for a few seconds then it either come back and freezes (then repeats this) or it bsod.
I’ll try take the ram out to see if it’s the issue

So they just aren’t compatible? It seems to be working fine when I use blender but then when I go to gaming after about 40 mins it just freezes but can hear sound for a few seconds then it either come back and freezes (then repeats this) or it bsod.
I’ll try take the ram out to see if it’s the issue
Yes it is easy to see if it is the problem. Don't forget to ground yourself by touching something metal connected to ground like the powersupply

This does seem to fix it, well I’ve not had the issue today. But now I’ve have extra ram laying around. Is there no way to cap the faster ram so I can use all 4 sticks?
That's not how it works. When you had all 4 sticks in there is no way 2 were running at 3000Mhz and the other 2 at 3200Mhz. Unless you went into the bios and manually set the speed they were probably running at 2133mhz or 2400Mhz

There is a reason they sell ram in matched sets, if you want to run 4 sticks you need to buy a set of 4

Ok that looks like a good price. But I’m just wondering why you haven’t gone for a 3600mhz one? Does it make such a difference?? Thanks
I was looking for a kit that is on the QVL support list which is here:
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_z370-aorus-gaming-7_180420.pdf
Because the motherboard is not new some of the kits aren't available to buy anymore or are silly money. Also, some of the new memory kits aren't on the list as presumably, they weren't on the market at the time the board launched.

Perhaps I am being over-cautious as Intel chips aren't as picky about memory as AMD chips and just because a ram kit hasn't been tested it doesn't mean it won't work.
I will have a look through the list again for some faster ram though.

I was looking for a kit that is on the QVL support list which is here:
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_z370-aorus-gaming-7_180420.pdf
Because the motherboard is not new some of the kits aren't available to buy anymore or are silly money. Also, some of the new memory kits aren't on the list as presumably, they weren't on the market at the time the board launched.

Perhaps I am being over-cautious as Intel chips aren't as picky about memory as AMD chips and just because a ram kit hasn't been tested it doesn't mean it won't work.
I will have a look through the list again for some faster ram though.
There is this one if you want 64GB:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/G-SKILL-F4-3600C17Q-64GTZ-Trident-PC4-28800-Channel/dp/B01N6JM2HA
Not cheap though
Or a Corsair kit:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMK32GX4M4B3600C18-Vengeance-Performance-Desktop/dp/B01AKWV600

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-Predator-HX433C16PB3K4-32-Black/dp/B072QBDQK6?th=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Skill-Trident-3866Mhz-PC4-30900-Channel/dp/B01N7RLUU5

I think 64gb is a bit overkill for my use :LOL: but does RAM affect gaming/work station use much? and what is stopping me from buying another 16gb (2x8) of my 3200mhz ram?
Gaming? No 16GB is enough, workstation depends on the software but usually yes.
Buying another 2x8 kit is a gamble, it might work or it might cause random bluescreen errors, restarts or other issues. For stability, you must use ram kits that have been carefully selected by the manufacturer to work together.

Reactions: Colif

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
Ok, well I’ll try get some of the same speed and see how it goes. But currently the BSOD have stopped but now I’m getting monitor flickers when gaming and they turn off but I can still hear sounds but have to restart my computer

Ok, well I’ll try get some of the same speed and see how it goes. But currently the BSOD have stopped but now I’m getting monitor flickers when gaming and they turn off but I can still hear sounds but have to restart my computer
bsod driver_irql_not_less_or_equal
is a driver violating the windows device driver interface rules, this can happen if you have mis matched memory modules that result in memory corruption but this would cause different drivers to fail on different boots of the system. Something you would have to look at the various memory dumps to determine.
by looking at the memory dump you might find that you have a more common problem of a bad driver or driver/bios mismatch that would be fixed with a bios update an updated drivers. Common for killer network drivers if you are using certain features to change network packet delays for games.

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
Changing the memory out seems to work for me but I'm getting a GPU issue now but that's for a different forum which nobody seems to be helping me on. but anyway my bios was updated and I don't really understand what you mean on the last sentence: Common for killer network drivers if you are using certain features to change network packet delays for games.

Changing the memory out seems to work for me but I'm getting a GPU issue now but that's for a different forum which nobody seems to be helping me on. but anyway my bios was updated and I don't really understand what you mean on the last sentence: Common for killer network drivers if you are using certain features to change network packet delays for games.
basically if you use a killer network driver you must look for driver updates since they generally have so many version of the drivers with bugs.
the bugs become more common if you use any of the bios network extensions to change the network processes the various packets. it is common to use this feature in first person shooter games so that other players miss you when they shoot at you in the game. killer driver try to delay network packets that show your position in a game and advance the timing of the packets that show where your opponent is located. This way you can score a hit and they would score a miss.

Colif

Win 11 Master
basically if you use a killer network driver you must look for driver updates since they generally have so many version of the drivers with bugs.
Since Intel took over the people who made Killer Drivers in the last year, they seem to have stopped supporting all the old chips they used to and only have drivers for the chipsets made by Intel. It was a sad day I found that out.

having said all that he appears to be one of the lucky ones, newest drivers here from Oct - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-7-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-lan