Windows 10 Blue screen

DardaniaLion

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
HI all,

First of all a bit THANKS goes to all of you who is going to help me or try to help me in solving this problem that I have for months.

I have installed Windows 10 on my PC and everything is fine but sometimes I have this blue screen at start and then PC restarts and gets back to desktop. Here how it happens. I format my Hard Disk, install windows 10 then install all the drivers and updates. The PC will work fine. No problem or blue screen but then the next morning when I turn the PC on BANG the blue screen comes. Then I restart my PC many times, the blue screen does not come. I have a feeling it only happens once when it is started for the first time.

File name when blue screen comes is: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

When I ran this software called WhoCrashed this is what it is saying.

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer name: DESKTOP-EML1LIC
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 17134
Windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: All Series, ASUS, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., SABERTOOTH X99
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5930K CPU @ 3.50GHz Intel586, level: 6
12 logical processors, active mask: 4095
RAM: 17086488576 bytes total

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Wed 06/06/2018 06:23:58 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\060618-10015-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: fltmgr.sys (FLTMGR+0x28060)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF801DABB40E1, 0xFFFF918AFFE5A228, 0xFFFF918AFFE59A70)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a file system driver. Since there is no other responsible driver detected, this could be pointing to a malfunctioning drive or corrupted disk. It's suggested that you run CHKDSK.

On Wed 06/06/2018 06:23:58 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: fltmgr.sys (FLTMGR!FltGetFileNameInformation+0x3A6)
Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF801DABB40E1, 0xFFFF918AFFE5A228, 0xFFFF918AFFE59A70)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
The crash took place in a file system driver. Since there is no other responsible driver detected, this could be pointing to a malfunctioning drive or corrupted disk. It's suggested that you run CHKDSK.

I did searched internet about this blue screen with this name SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED but people are reporting many type of problems. Hopefully my mini dump file shows more information.

My System specs are as follows:

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X99

CPU : Intel I7 5930K

GPU : Asus Nvidia GTX 1080 TI

RAM : 2X8GB = 16GB

HD : SSD Kingston 256 GB

PSU : Thermaltake 1500 W

Monitor : Asus PG279Q

The strange thing is I have another SSD + 8 TB hard disk for offline games and it does not happen on that other system. On that System I have windows 7 pro installed. I use to have windows 8.1 and the same problem happened. I feel that windows 8.1 and windows 10 have this problem with the blue screen.

I was able to upload the dump file on this website. It can be downloaded from this link.

https://expirebox.com/download/561c296533e56b8d1176d5cfa7c8ea30.html

Thanks all.

Colif

Win 11 Master
We can't access your hard drive so can you go to C:\Windows\Minidump folder
copy the minidump files to Documents
upload the copies from documents to a file sharing web site and show a link here

I will ask someone to convert the files so we can see what driver might have caused the error

DardaniaLion

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
Hi and thanks a lot for your reply.

I have opened a thread on another website. Here is the link. In there I was able to upload the dump files. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/678673/windows-10-blue-screen-crash-on-startup/

I have saved both pages to my google chrome and I am checking both if people are replying.

Thanks

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/jY7u.html

File: 060618-10015-01.dmp (Jun 6 2018 - 01:23:58)
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 8 Hour(s), 37 Min(s), and 26 Sec(s)

The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

BIOS information was not included in the dump file. This can sometimes mean you are using an outdated BIOS. See if there are any updates. Note: Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

I can't help you with this. Wait for additional replies. Good luck.

DardaniaLion

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

Hi and thanks for your reply.

Yes I do have the MSI to speed up fans once the GPU temperature goes above 50C. I actually ran a memory test and and it did not find any errors. I have changed slots many times but the blue screen always happened. I'm not doing any OC on the system at all. I have the latest bios. I have updated them few months back. I have MSI on the other hard disk too but it is not causing any problems. The thing is the system wont even go to desktop. As soon as the PC starts it ends up in the blue screen or sometimes the blue screen goes away so fast that I can't even see it. I only hear the pc beeping once then again after 5 seconds, this means it ran into blue screen but did not show it for long time.

What is weird is that it only happens when I leave pc off for long time. If I restart the pc again as many times as I want, it will not have any blue screens.

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully others can see more in the dump file.

DardaniaLion

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

Zone Alarm is the firewall and from ESET I have Antivirus. I have been running them for like 10 years. I have a laptop from MSI that has them but never causes me any problem. The ESET NOD32 Antivirus is so light that my PC will bot straight away into desktop. Zone Alarm Firewall is also super light.

If they would cause issues then honestly my laptop too will have blue screens. My laptop is on Windows 7. I have a feeling it has to do with either Windows 8.1 or 10 because that's when this problem started to come, when I moved this gaming PC to Windows 8.1 and now 10. Plus my brother has this Asus laptop and it's also running with Zone Alarm Free firewall and Eset antivirus. Before I installed these two security programs I did multiple testing to see if they are compatible with each other. I can say that none of them block each other or have conflicts between each other.

I am not so good at understanding these blue screen errors. I am just thinking it could be SSD or maybe some hardware drivers that were created badly and when I am installing them, they might cause the crash. On a forum, someone said it could be the ssd might have bad sector. I did check SSD many times and have never found any bad sectors. I also see people going to device manager and removing nvidia drivers then reinstalling them. To me that makes no sense because I always install the latest drivers from nvidia.

Today, the blue screen did not come. I turned PC and no blue screen at all. Very confusing.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I saw this running and just thought I would ask
Mar 11 2017 - vsdatant.sys - ZoneAlarm Anti-Virus http://www.zonealarm.com/

That BSOD you got can be software or hardware.

You don't want BSOD, so them not happening is a good thing. It may never happen again...

I didn't suggest any fixes as I was waiting to see what Bleeping computer found in that file you gave them.

DardaniaLion

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

It will happen here and there but it does not happen that much. I am just confused what it could be. I use this software called bluescreenview and when I right click on the file and google search for bug and driver, all what I see makes me confusing because it's like many things can cause this blue screen. People say high temperature, well my pc never goes above 50c, the others say driver update, well I do have the most up to date drivers. Some say it could be registry cleaner, I don't really use them.

I am thinking it could be Windows 10 and 8.1. I am thinking to Install windows 7 and go online with it. See if it happens. I am sure it will not because the gaming ssd and 8tb hard disk never gave me any blue screens but it's not online. It's only offline.

I am very thankful that you guys are here to help.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Bluescreenview just shows you what crashed but not why. Very rarely will it show you the actual cause, often like above it blames part of Windows and leaves you scratching your head. fitmgr.sys = Microsoft Windows file system filter manager file.

Do you have this installed? https://www.kingston.com/en/support/technical/ssdmanager - use it to check ssd. The one search I found for that error and that file lead me to bleeping computer as perhaps that will answer you soon.

DardaniaLion

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

Hey again,

Downloaded this software you asked me but it did not have anything to check the hard disk. I searched the internet and found out that KingstonSSDToolbox does that and it ran for like 1 hour and at the end it actually did not find any errors.

SSD and ram have been fully tested. The graphics card has no problem at all. I play many games and it works very nice. Now Maybe power supply, monitor, keyboard or mouse. I'm not sure. I have good keyboard from logitech and also the mouse is from logitech.

Not sure what to do or search for.

DardaniaLion

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

I just checked Asus website and they have released a bios but it is beta. I don't think I should put a beta bios. I have the 3801 which is from 2017. I also have the latest chipset drivers. I ran this software and here are the screen shots of it. Does it say anything?

Here is the link that you can check the picture: https://snag.gy/ovr5M7.jpg

Thanks for your interest to help. I really respect this.