Question Windows 10 boot error 0xc000014c registry file missing auto repair could not correct

Jun 23, 2019
On laptop with Windows 10 I did a hard shutdown. Seems I messed up the EFI boot partition; now it lists as RAW and hidden on diskpart.

Luckily I have another recent drive a few months old clone, but I would prefer the latest drive.

Tried doing bootrec /fixboot but got access denied.

Do I need to try and recover the EFI boot partition files or will I not lose anything by recreating it/formatting to Fat32?

Note I am running the latest ver of windows 10 Home ..ver 1709 or later. and my USB does not seem to boot on the laptop. I was able to get to the troublshooting screen and command prompt., but now just a blank screen with a cursor. I can swap my other drive or plug it in on a usb caddy. May also be able to boot via dvd....verifying.

With my good drive running I can read the drive data fine on the drive that will not boot.

Thanks for any advice in advance.!

Mark

Jun 23, 2019
Onespeed, thank you!

That was the path I was taking, but the efi partition will not allow me to select it (get i/o error)

or format it (gets stuck at: formatting, 0 percent complete...i stopped it after 12hrs)...

Next going to try to delete efi partition from diskpart... or else use a utility like partition assistant...hope those work?