May 17, 2019
So, I recently built a new PC with a:
Ryzen 7 2700X
RX 580 8 GB
Aorus B450 Pro
16GB HyperX Predator
250GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus
2TB BarraCuda 2016
And a temporary Be Quiet! E5-550W PSU (I bought an EVGA 650W Bronze which had some weird sounds so I sent it back)

I get the 0xc0000428 error everytime I turn off the PSU after shutting down. I have to mention that everytime I manage to get into Bios after the error shows up, the Windows boots and works perfectly fine. Anyone has any idea why this is happening? Thanks a lot!! 😁
*Also, when I turn the PSU off and on again, the lights on the MB flash for a second.
**PROBLEM SOLVED WITH A BIOS RESET, seems like the problem asa the XMP profile for the RAM. Altough it crashes with XMP @3200MHz, it works when I set it through Gigabyte's EasyTune @3200MHz without turning on XMP.
Thanks all for your help!!😁

Last edited:
Do you get the same error after a Restart? If not you may want to uncheck the Fast startup box in Power and Sleep> Additional power settings> Choose what the power buttons do>Change settings that are currently unavailable. A possible reason entering the BIOS solves the problem is with either Restart or entering the BIOS, Fast startup is disabled.

Last edited:
May 17, 2019
Do you get the same error after a Restart? If not you may want to uncheck the Fast startup box in Power and Sleep> Additional power settings> Choose what the power buttons do>Change settings that are currently unavailable. A possible reason entering the BIOS solves the problem is with either Restart or entering the BIOS, Fast startup is disabled.
I get the error only when I turn the Power Supply off, if the PC is only turned off it works just fine.

What you are doing is the is same a cold boot; unplugging your CPU and pushing the start button to drain the remaining current, stored in the PSU (disconnecting the CPU would do the same thing). The cause could be an old bootmgr on your hard drive, that fails to boot, but a new bootmgr is automatically loaded when you you go into the BIOS first. There are numerous fixes in this link.. https://www.windowstechit.com/18373/bootmgr-0xc0000428-error-fix-in-windows-10/

Last edited:
May 17, 2019
What you are doing is the is same a cold boot; unplugging your CPU and pushing the start button to drain the remaining current, stored in the PSU (disconnecting the CPU would do the same thing). The cause could be an old bootmgr on your hard drive, that fails to boot, but a new bootmgr is automatically loaded when you you go into the BIOS first. There are numerous fixes in this link..https://www.windowstechit.com/18373/bootmgr-0xc0000428-error-fix-in-windows-10/
I tried to boot without the HDD and it gave me the same error...

I tried to boot without the HDD and it gave me the same error...
Make sure you have disconnected your other hard drives and USB drives. Windows is booting from some drive or you would get a "no bootable device" error. What ever the device, the 0xc0000428 error often means windows can not properly identify the winload.exe file to load windows. It would seem going into the bios, changes the boot order and points windows to the correct drive. You may also want to replace your CMOS battery just to rule it out.

Reactions: AllanGH
May 17, 2019
Make sure you have disconnected your other hard drives and USB drives. Windows is booting from some drive or you would get a "no bootable device" error. What ever the device, the 0xc0000428 error often means windows can not properly identify the winload.exe file to load windows. It would seem going into the bios, changes the boot order and points windows to the correct drive. You may also want to replace your CMOS battery just to rule it out.
I will try the methods you suggested first about bootmgr and I will also try replacing the CMOS, but since this is a brand new MB it's pretty unlikely...