[SOLVED] Windows 10 boot errors.

Nixerz

Commendable
Oct 4, 2016
Hey guys,

I've run into a problem, i ordered a new HDD which i picked up today, so i was gonna plug it in but had to move my boot drive (samsung 850 evo SSD) so i unplugged it, moved it and plugged it back in, i was then gonna plug in my new HDD but i had ran out of spots to plug it in, so i wanted to log onto my pc and order a new sata cable and a power cable, but all of a sudden i couldn't boot my pc i was getting the "innaccessible boot device error" so it just continued to restart and fail, and all of a sudden it told me i needed to repair windows. Fair one.

So i made a boot recovery drive through windows, and nothing happened. So then i just decided to make a reinstall of windows. So i formatted the drive that windows was on, and downloaded a installation file of windows. So i ran the installation file through USB external harddrive but then it froze in the middle of the loading, so i cleared CMOS which got me through the loading.

It let me through to the setup of the installation, and then i couldn't select my SSD as boot drive, so i went into commandprompt and cleaned the drive and converted it to a MBR drive, so i could select it as boot drive, it now started to install, and "finished" the installation, but i was still not able to boot. I then ran the "chkdsk C: /f /r" in commandprompt to see if there were any problems with my drive, and it told me that "windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required". So now i'm here, i can't think of anything to do right now. Please help me out.

<mod edit: spacing>

Solution
I would guess win 10 has set this Drive up as GPT instead of MBR as it is the format windows chooses when it sees motherboard supports it. It might be MBR but either way, you shouldn't have gone into bios after install happened, the installer can set the boot order without your help and probably has Boot manager as number 1 choice as it is a list of drives in PC that bios can boot off.

See if this helps fix the windows install:
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
Follow this: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-rebuild-the-bcd-in-windows-2624508

Colif

Win 11 Master
what motherboard do you have?

the 1st inaccessible drive error likely caused because you swapped the drive cable for hdd into another spot before restarting PC. BIOS was looking in another location for the MBR and couldn't find, simply resetting bios here might have fixed it.

Where there any other drives in PC when you reinstalled on SSD?
Is there a choice in BIOS called Windows Boot Manager in the boot order as BIOS might want to boot off it.

Nixerz

Commendable
Oct 4, 2016

Hi,

My motherboard is Asus prime 370-a.

I unplugged HDD when i tried reinstalling on SSD.

Yes when it let me install windows on the SSD it made another "partition" in the boot order called Boot Manager, but i already tried booting from it, which caused another BSOD..

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would guess win 10 has set this Drive up as GPT instead of MBR as it is the format windows chooses when it sees motherboard supports it. It might be MBR but either way, you shouldn't have gone into bios after install happened, the installer can set the boot order without your help and probably has Boot manager as number 1 choice as it is a list of drives in PC that bios can boot off.

See if this helps fix the windows install:
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
Follow this: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-rebuild-the-bcd-in-windows-2624508

Solution

Nixerz

Commendable
Oct 4, 2016
Well i didn't go into BIOS and set boot order at first when it had installed, but then it kept freezing once i tried finishing the installation.

But i managed to get it fixed, i just installed windows 10 home instead of pro, might have been the pro files that were corrupted or something.

But thanks for your time.