[SOLVED] Windows 10 Boot issues

loadedgun28

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
I have just upgraded my PC and installed a new Mobo, CPU & RAM.
First boot was successful and my old copy of windows was working (not activated).
I shut it down and boot in to windows a second time and everything was fine. Opened command prompt and the machine then crashed and I got a blue error screen.
Since then I have not been able to boot in to windows again but I can get in to the BIOS.
It now seems to be stuck in a loop of getting to the mobo logo screen giving me the option of opening BIOS it then goes to boot windows but instead shuts down and then restarts.
I have tried to put a fresh install of windows 10 on to the SSD but I get the same results. I select the boot drive as the USB drive and it starts the same loop again.
As far as I can tell it’s not a hardware issue. When I go in to BIOS it detects both my CPU and RAM.

Any suggestions or help are very welcome.

Solution
Some piece of hardware is bad.

I would try replacing the PSU first and go from there.

And THAT is the problem with thinking you can get away with not doing a clean install, as you have seen already. Unfortunately, now you probably don't have the option of backing up anything you didn't already have backed up elsewhere prior to DOING a clean install, unless you're willing to put the whole thing back the way it was before the upgrades and even that might not work if Windows has borked itself during reconfiguration.

Regardless, in the end, this is what you NEED to do.

And hopefully, you have ALREADY done this, at some previous point in the past, otherwise it will likely be a little more complicated if you haven't already previously attached your Windows 10 license to an MS account or have your product key if you didn't upgrade to 10.

loadedgun28

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
Hi thanks for replying?

The plan was always to do a fresh install.

I have backed up my C drive so wiping it is not an issue. The version of windows that I was using was an OEM version so I won’t be able to pass it across so I had always planned on either buying another OEM code or buying a retail version of windows 10 going forward.
I have windows 10 ready on a USB but can't get it to boot from the usb drive as it will always go in to the same loop.

Yes, you can actually use the OEM version to do a clean install. Is this a prebuilt PC with a Windows 7 product key sticker on the case somewhere? Or do you have the Windows 7 product key. If so, you can simply plug that in when it asks for the product key during the Windows 10 installation. We have yet to see ANY valid Windows 7, 8 or 10 product key be rejected during a Windows 10 installation UNLESS it has already been used to upgrade or do a clean install on another system. In some cases, not even then, but it will invalidate the activation on the other system IF that system is attached to YOU by way of a Microsoft account.

I'd at least try it before assuming it won't work. Everybody else who has done so that I know of has been successful despite there being a number of articles saying that the OEM keys won't work. They work, at least in every case I've seen.

Worst case, if you can't or won't do that, then you can try going into the BIOS, and enabling/disabling CSM (Compatibility support module) to see if that makes any difference on being able to boot from your USB drive. Also, might check to see that "OS version" is set to "8/10" rather than "Other OS".

If that doesn't help, then I'd create new installation media AND perhaps try a different USB thumb drive. Or a different USB port. On some systems it's necessary to use a USB 2.0 port rather than a 3.0 port as some older systems did not have native USB 3.0 and would not recognize drives attached to USB 3.0 ports until after Windows drivers were loaded into memory.

loadedgun28

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
It's a custom build PC that I built and the original window install was Windows 8 that was then upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade.
I will try the activation code I have once I manage to install windows 10 successfully.

I have now reset the CMOS and tried to reinstall windows again, I can get the window icon to appear and get the spinning dot circle then the machine powers down and resets and start the loop again.
I have also tried uninstalling the SSD and just using the USB drive as well as using another HDD, and I get the same results.

The only conclusion I can come to is that either there is an issue with the mobo or an issue with the USB boot disk.

I am going to use another USB and create a new USB Boot Disk and try again.

Do you think it could be a mobo issue?

Last edited:
What was the PRIMARY reason you did this upgrade? Were you having issues before the upgrade that led you to buy the new hardware?

If so, what problems WERE you having?

Try different installer media and recreate the installation media. Follow the directions in my guide exactly as outlined. How you make the media can sometimes be a factor.

Might also try doing a complete reset of the BIOS, AND, it might be a good idea to check for an updated BIOS version for your board before you go any further. If there is one, it might be a good idea to update. I've seen problematic BIOS firmware cause similar issues before. Not often, but once or twice.

What are your FULL hardware specifications? Please include ALL model numbers, including the EXACT model number of your memory kit, motherboard and power supply.

loadedgun28

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
I was having no issues before. I upgraded as I tend to use it for gaming and wanted better performance.
Okay I have now used official windows install DVD and swapped the motherboard out and still am getting the same results. I get the windows logo for 30/60 secs then the CPU fan stops and the system shuts down and restarts.

My Specs are below

CPU- Ryzen 5 3600
RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz (CMW16GX4M2C3200C16)
Mobo - Aorus X570 Elite
GPU - RX480
SSD x 1 500GB
HDD x 2 2TB
PSU -550W

loadedgun28

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
It is a Cooler Master GX 550W '80 Plus' Power Supply.
I have had for a while.

I was thinking it could be the PSU or the RAM.
if it was the PSU would it let me get it to Bios.

When you are installing Windows, do you have ONLY the drive you are installing Windows ON, attached? No secondary drives attached?

Has your other drive EVER had Windows installed on it? If so, try booting to Windows, after doing a clean install, without any other drives attached to the motherboard. Sometimes if a drive has had Windows on it in the past it will have a hidden EFI or boot management partition that conflicts with the one on the existing current boot drive and that can cause problems.

Do you have the MOST recent motherboard BIOS version installed? If not, update.

If your GX550 is more than four years old, I'd probably replace it. Those were HALF decent when they were new, but that was long ago for most of them.

loadedgun28

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
Yeah, I only have the SSD attached.
Yeah, it has windows installed on it from my old build. That's where the trouble started, I managed to load into Windows then got a blue screen crash about 5 mins in and since then I get this loop.
My other drives do not have windows installed on them.

Ok, try this.

Do NOT select the USB drive as the primary boot drive. Instead, find the option for a ONE time boot bypass to the USB drive and run your installation.

Do NOT install the way you probably normally do. Instead, READ the CLEAN install tutorial that I posted a link to in my first post and follow the instructions on removing ALL existing partitions on the SSD, ALL, when you get to the part of the Windows installation where it asks you where you want to install Windows. Remove ALL partitions on the drive until there is only ONE listing, which will be for unallocated, unpartitioned space. Then click on THAT listing, and then click "Next".

Windows will create ANY and ALL required partitions and perform any formatting that is required, based on the settings in the BIOS. Which brings us to another issue that you want to check for BEFORE you actually perform the Windows installation.

In the BIOS, make sure that the OS type is set to "Windows 8/10", NOT "Other OS". Also, make sure that CSM (Compatibility support module) is set to either Disabled or Auto. It is usually recommended that you Enable Secure Boot. These settings will ensure a GPT full UEFI installation, rather than an MBR legacy installation.

After Windows installation has completed, go back into the BIOS and make sure that the primary boot device is "Windows boot manager", not any specific drive.

loadedgun28

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
I have updated the bios to F11 and I have done a boot bypass with your suggested bios settings and I am still in the same loop.
I can't get as far as clear partitions.
once I pass the Aorus logo I get the windows logo for about 30 seconds then once the dotted circle starts it resets.

Some piece of hardware is bad.

I would try replacing the PSU first and go from there.

Solution

loadedgun28

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
I have a new CPU arriving tomorrow and if that does not fix it them I will order a new PSU.

This be a silly question but if the PSU is bad would it be able to boot to Bios?

Sometimes. Often, full featured drivers cause hardware to use way more power than when they are in generic basic modes as when in pre-windows environments like the BIOS. That's why sometimes a graphics card will work fine prior to windows booting but the minute it loads the full featured drivers, poomp, PSU can no longer handle it.