[SOLVED] Windows 10 boot on different drive than rest of Windows 10

USERNAME111356

Reputable
May 14, 2020
Note: This happened mid December and I got really tired and am dealing with it now.
I decided to rebuild a lot of my PC and was going to switch from a SATA SSD to an M.2 to reduce the amount of wires in my case. Before I cloned my SATA, I backed up everything important onto an external harddrive to insure that if it all went wrong, I'd be able to recover. The first attempt to move my drive went wrong. The M.2 had saved all of the data, but it could not identify the Windows files. I decided that I would then clear the M.2 and start a new OS on it. I decided to keep the SATA plugged in after the OS was complete to move over some games and programs that I didn't want to spend all day reinstalling. After that, I went to unplug the SSD and I rebooted the PC. The PC now said something along the lines of Windows 10 missing boot drive, but when I replugged the SATA in, it no longer gave the error during bootup.

From this I have determined that somehow while installing, some of the boot/other windows files got pushed onto my SATA, while the rest are on the M.2. I now own a second M.2 and want to try to move the SATA files onto the second, new M.2. My reason for being here is, what is the safest way to do this without ruining all of my data like last time and does anyone know why this happened in the first place?

Solution
As SkyNetRising states...physical disconnection of all other drives is the best and easiest way forward with an install.

The first part of this speaks to how to prevent issues.
what is the safest way to do this without ruining all of my data like last time and does anyone know why this happened in the first place?
Have only single drive connected, while installing windows. This is necessary to prevent bootloader ending up on one drive and windows on another drive.
Connect old drives only after windows install is done.
Then move/reorganize data between drives as desired.

USAFRet

Titan
As SkyNetRising states...physical disconnection of all other drives is the best and easiest way forward with an install.

The first part of this speaks to how to prevent issues.

Solution