Windows 10 booting super slow

mouseclickclick

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015
I have a lenovo y50 laptop with some decent specs:
(i7-4700HQ, 8 GB Ram, Gtx 860m, 1TB HDD + 8 GB SSHD [Potential Problem Cause]). The HDD is WDC WD10S21X-24R1BT0-SSHD-8GB

I recently did a fresh install of Windows 8.1 and updated to Windows 10. My boot times were already bad but when I upgraded to Windows 10 the boot time prolonged (1-2 min). Not only the boot is slow but laggy. First I get the Windows circle loading, then I get the circle loading again but with jerky/laggy animation, then I get a black screen for a couple of seconds and then Desktop is loaded slowly. I found out that enabling Fast Boosting reduces the boot time to 45-80 seconds but then the shutdown takes about 2 minutes to complete (The fan stays on, HDD light does not flash). If I put my ear to the spot where the HDD is located I can hear a crackling sound. The HDD does this for as long as I remember. Sometimes I can hear it making a noise loudly and my transfer rates were never greater than 30 mb/s. I would like to know If I have a faulty HDD or the problem is with the software. Thank you.

Go back to Windows 8.1, is causes to much trouble to be worth it as the OS has so many none issues at the mo.

I never understand why people upgrade OS when they don't need to, I'm still on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit and everything loads super quick

You don't 'need' Windows 10, 8.1 is totally fine.

P.S a HDD really slows down the boot time, my old HDD use to have the Windows 7 on and it took 1-2min to boot then I moved it to a Samsung EVO 850 250GB now pc posts - boots - logs into Windows 7 in about 5-10 seconds.

Go back to 8.1

mouseclickclick

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015

I don't really agree to your answer. My performance on Windows 10 is pretty good compared to 8.1. Windows 8.1 wan't bad but now my PC runs much faster and I can run stuff as soon as the desktop is loaded. Before I would have to wait 2 minutes or more before the Disk usage dropped from 100% so I could do anything. Thank you for your reply.

mouseclickclick

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015

I did that, I also have Bitdefender helping me troubleshoot at the programs that impact startup, that doesn't seem to be the problem. It's probably the HDD being bad, I saw a guy on youtube who has the same laptop and his started in 30 seconds.

mouseclickclick

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015

I stopped the services it mentioned but it didn't affect my boot time. Thank you anyway my friend :)

mouseclickclick

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015

With the things I updated / tweaked now it's even worse and overall performance is down. I can't do a system restore because it says an antivirus is blocking it, although I disabled mine. Things keep getting worse and worse lol.

mouseclickclick

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015
I enabled back some services I disable earlier (Superfetch and Windows Search) and now the boot times are better. Last boot was 40 sec which i'm very happy for. The shutdown still takes longer than normal. In the end I didn't fix my problem, a SSD will probably be the solution. Thank you so much why_wolf and Wayfall for your support. If anyone finds a solution, reply here. (Thanks Microsoft lol)

No problem, thanks for the appreciation.