Windows 10 booting to setup screen and not desktop

Squishem

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015
Hi, I need some help. When i turn my computer on, it boots to the windows 10 setup screen. I already tried downloading a windows 10 ISO to a USB and reinstalling windows, but at the last step, I get the error, "windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase". Now I have honestly no idea what to do. After getting off the phone with Microsoft support, I've discovered that it is a system issue and not a windows one. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Squishem

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015

Hi, thanks for the reply, it is set to boot with legacy and UEFI

Squishem

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015

What is M$ailwear? How would you recommend I upgrade to windows 7?

Did you see this compatability note:
Some Intel B85 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Haswell Refresh CPUs.
on the PCpartpicker page you linked to? Did you verify that your current BIOS will support your CPU?

Squishem

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015

Hi, i dont think that should be the problem, I have been using this computer for over a year now. This problem just happened when i turned the pc off during a windows update.

Did you turn it off by accident while the screen said not to turn off the PC?

Squishem

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015

Yes i did, and nowI cant boot to the desktop at all, it just brings me to the windows setup screen. Is there a way I could somehow resume the update from there?

chassmith

Honorable
May 14, 2013
did you make sure to format the drive during set up ? sounds like the update fudged up your system fresh install.

and i was being cheeky about windows 7 personally i love it and think win 10 is garbage so i recommend you just install 7 and forget 10 but to eath there own (as for how to install you need to "Buy" windows 7 and install it)

At this point, you might have to do a clean format and install.:bounce: There is a reason the "Do not turn off your Computer" message is displayed during updates.:ouch::(

Squishem

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015

Hi, i did format the drive. Do you have any other ideas by any chance?

chassmith

Honorable
May 14, 2013

sorry i am fresh out .... may haps another will take it up :(

When you formatted the drive, What system did you use GPT or MBR?

Squishem

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015

MBR

chassmith

Honorable
May 14, 2013

for Win 10 do you not use gpt? I thought mbr was only on older windows now as 8 did away with it ????

You really only need GPT to format large(>2TB I think, maybe 4) hard drives.

TRENDING THREADS