[SOLVED] Windows 10 bootloop and unsuccessful reinstall

LexyV

Honorable
Aug 17, 2015
Dear Tomshardware community,

I am having trouble (and a real bad day because of it) with my laptop. I had windows 10 installed on it, but after a recent windows update it appeared to freeze on occasion, to which the only answer was to hold down the power button to turn it off. Today I had to resort to it once more, causing the laptop to not boot anymore. It was stuck endlessly on the spinning loading circle.

My solution to this was to reinstall windows on the 1st drive (SSD) as I could not even get into the recovery media; I just got a black screen with a cursor where ctrl+alt+delete and shift+f10 didn't work when windows tried to get to it.

Using a borrowed usb drive with the windows 10 installation media on it I tried to wipe and reinstall windows on my SSD, but that didn't work. When trying to boot from the external drive all I got was the windows logo for a second and a blue/purple screen afterwards. Shift+10 does pull up the cmd but diskpart doesn't seem to work. I tried changing a range of settings in my BIOS, and several other things that would help according to other threads, but none did.

I do not mind losing the data on the SSD as all my important data is on a second HDD drive, but it is fairly urgent as I need the laptop for uni.

The laptop in question is an MSI GL62M REX.

I do have to note that this laptop was bought second hand and I have had issues with it before.

Could anyone please help me resolve this?

Solution

I am having trouble (and a real bad day because of it) with my laptop. I had windows 10 installed on it, but after a recent windows update it appeared to freeze on occasion, to which the only answer was to hold down the power button to turn it off. Today I had to resort to it once more, causing the laptop to not boot anymore. It was stuck endlessly on the spinning loading circle.

My solution to this was to reinstall windows on the 1st drive (SSD) as I could not even get into the recovery media; I just got a black screen with a cursor where ctrl+alt+delete and shift+f10 didn't work when windows tried to get to it.

Using a borrowed usb drive with the windows 10 installation media on it I tried to wipe...

Using a borrowed usb drive with the windows 10 installation media on it I tried to wipe and reinstall windows on my SSD, but that didn't work. When trying to boot from the external drive all I got was the windows logo for a second and a blue/purple screen afterwards. Shift+10 does pull up the cmd but diskpart doesn't seem to work. I tried changing a range of settings in my BIOS, and several other things that would help according to other threads, but none did.

I do not mind losing the data on the SSD as all my important data is on a second HDD drive, but it is fairly urgent as I need the laptop for uni.

The laptop in question is an MSI GL62M REX.

I do have to note that this laptop was bought second hand and I have had issues with it before.

Could anyone please help me resolve this?
I would love to try and help you for starters is the bios up to date? If not this can be one issue.

Two please before movong forward if able to remove the second drive the hdd so as to not lose any important info on it.

Three if not able to remove second drive please make a note of which drive it is so as to not have any accidents in the future as we proceed.

Four are you using a single stick of ram or 2 sticks of ram if two is dual channel enable on this device if not theres one key problem the device is having.

Five are you sure none of the drives are failing hdd/ssd.

Solution