Question Windows 10 brand-new HP Laptop will not recognize my slightly older USB Plug-in HP Laserjet Printer and a Fujitsu Scanner.

Mar 7, 2019
Windows 10 will not recognize my slightly older USB Plug-in HP Laserjet Printer and a Fujitsu Scanner. I have installed updated drivers for both. They worked well with my previous WIndows 8.0/8.1 laptop which was upgraded to Windows 10, but only after several Microsoft updates. Microsoft Windows techs informed me that the updates allowed the devices to access Windows 8.1, because Windows 10 was an "overlay". I have spent hours online and on the phone with MS WIndows, Fujitsu and HP, and with my Antivirus provider, but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any insight? All of the online chat "fixes" are several years old; WIndows 10 has since changed its Settings/Drivers & Devices/Control Panel streams so much that the online help is no longer valid.

Mar 7, 2019
Printer: HP Laserjet P2015dn;
Scanner: Fujitsu Fi-5110c.

Both manufacturers' reps verbally told me that both units are Windows 10 compatible. Both pointed fingers back at Microsoft. Fujitsu, however, did say that the 5110c is no longer "supported". I believe the unit is 7-8 years old.
Also, based on various blogs, I've turned off my laptop's USB power savers, have uninstalled and reinstalled the USB drivers.
The laptop was purchased, new, last August. It runs 4 year old flashdrives and my wireless Logitech keyboard/mouse combo effortlessly.
Thank you for responding.

Mar 7, 2019
Again, thank you!
I DO download the HP driver from that site. Their presentation of available drivers confuses me, I must admit. I use the section for USB Plug ins. For these drivers, HP does not confirm successful installation, or even let the user know that the process is ended. HP has actually confirmed to me that some of their driver downloads do not provide this information. I have a real concern that the driver is not fully installing. Can you provide any insight into what to look for, and where to locate the indicators for successful installation on current versions of WIndows 10?

For the Fujitsu scanner, the driver download always appears to be successful. After the initial download, one must open up a folder titled "DISK 1", (found in "Download"), then seek and open a setup.exe file, which activates a wizard. Again, it is not always clear that this process completes successfully. This is why I contacted my antivirus provider, Trend Micro, to make certain that their product was not preventing the installation, even though it prompts an alert "Are you sure you want this app to make a change to your PC?". Trend Micro showed me how to temporarily deactivate their software, just in case, but to no avail.

FYI, one thing I didn't mention is that the WIndows 10 laptop will OCCASIONALLY recognize the scanner, (but not the printer). The scanner will appear in the Setup/Devices & Printers listing, under 'imaging devices". As soon as I try to use it, though, it will disconnect, and I cannot repeat the successful recognition. Once, when the laptop DID recognize the plugged in scanner, I tried to use MS's "Scanner". It recognized the scanner, but when I tried to actually scan a document, an error window, "Something went wrong. Try Again" appeared.

I will look into the hamrick site, but since you and others have been able to successfully install and use older devices on WIndows 10, I would appreciate any insight or suggestions. Please be reminded that this problem only occurs on my brand new WIndows 10, only, laptop. I've had it tested at the store for mechanical issues, of which there were none; and they had no answers otherwise. I am able to use both devices on my older ASUS laptop, which started as WIndows 8, then 8.1, then 10. Microsoft told me this was because 10 was simply an overlay; they provided several updates which enabled the older devices to communicate with the Windows 8 programming underneath. Finally, and again, Microsoft said that the devices should be WIndows 10 compatible and they couldn't understand why I was having this problem

I think your question, are the HP drivers and Twain drivers successfully installing, hits the nail on the head. I am not computer savvy enough to really be certain.

Again, my thanks.