Question Windows 10 BSOD After Replacing Most Components

asian_tempation

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
Hey, about two months ago, my computer started to BSOD to recovery mode with no recourse. I tried reinstalling windows several times to no avail. I eventually replaced the CPU, MOBO, RAM, and SSD (each of which were old with the CPU being an FX-8350 and the ssd being questionably bought off of craigslist). I figured one of these old parts was causing the problem as my GPU is an R9 390 which still kicks . However, I finished building my new system last night (equipped with an r5 3600x, 16gb DDR4, a B550 mobo, and a 500gb nvme ssd) and got the exact same BSOD as before while installing radeon drivers. The only constant is the R9 390, but I don't understand how a GPU can corrupt windows. I popped in an old radeon hd 5770 into the system and it works fine now; no BSOD.

Also, with the R9 390, there's a graphical artifact where a multi-colored bar goes from top-to-bottom on the left side of the screen. This was present in both the FX-8350 and R5 3600X config when in BSOD , but I figured it was due to drivers and not a hardware problem. I think it is very likely that the GPU is causing the BSOD and windows corruption, but how is that even possible? Any solutions other than hardware replacement?

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
CPU - r5 3600x
MB - B550 mobo (who made?)
Ram - 16gb
Storage - 500gb nvme

You get same graphical error on 2 different systems using same GPU and you wonder if its drivers... no, its likely going to be hardware Especially if the older card doesn't show same errors. Could test GPU on a 3rd PC to make sure.

What PSU are you using? you didn't mention that and it too could be cause. Anything you didn't replace could be cause still.

GPU is more likely at this point but without knowing more of build, I don't want to jump to conclusions.

asian_tempation

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
CPU - r5 3600x
MB - B550 mobo (who made?)
Ram - 16gb
Storage - 500gb nvme

You get same graphical error on 2 different systems using same GPU and you wonder if its drivers... no, its likely going to be hardware Especially if the older card doesn't show same errors. Could test GPU on a 3rd PC to make sure.

What PSU are you using? you didn't mention that and it too could be cause. Anything you didn't replace could be cause still.

GPU is more likely at this point but without knowing more of build, I don't want to jump to conclusions.

Thanks for the reply! The mobo is Gigabyte B550M DS3H and the PSU is 750w EVGA 80+ gold.

Some more info about the BSOD:
  1. The system with the R9 390 is able to get to the windows home screen consistently, but seems to restart after less than a minute of use.
  2. After restarting a few times, I eventually get to the BSOD where I am alerted that windows did not load properly and I am given the option of restarting or going straight to windows.
  3. Regardless of whether I restart or go straight into windows, the system begins to restart in a loop again until I reach the same BSOD.
side note: after getting radeon drivers installed using the HD 5770, the graphical artifacts using the R9 390 disappeared.

So, if the R9 390 is effectively dead, is there anything I can do with it (eg. scrap it for metal)?