[SOLVED] Windows 10 BSOD an interesting one

Mar 1, 2021
Here's an interesting one,
I'm getting BSOD with several symptoms.
I am aware that my hardware is a bit dated, Bought 5 Years ago. The MB and RAM are from the 2012-2013 Time frame, bought in 2016.

I left my computer on for one week with out turning off equipment or stopping programs.
Before some of you say I should have done this, Hindsight is a beautiful skill to have. I know now that I will be powering down more in the future. (I have been but the issue continues)

The issue started after leaving my PC on for that week. If I'm running my pc of long enough period of time and trying to do multiple task at the same time, or attempt to use Trainz 12, Google Earth Pro, Gmod, TF2, Portal, Steam Etc.
I even just went through a IRQL_* and Kernel_* while writing this post when my pc cache was trying to catch up with me flipping back and forth between the pages (Thank google for having a restore browsing function on chrome).
I did notice that when these errors occur the frequency increases after each time, and much sooner as well.

The Equipment
Device name DESKTOP-**
Processor AMD A10-7870K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G 3.90 GHz
Mother Board ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ FM2+/ FM2 AMD A88X (Bolton D4) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Mini ITX Mother Board
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (14.9 GB usable) G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB x2 DDR3 SDRAM (Timinig: 10-12-12-31, CAS Latency: 10)
Device ID *
Product ID ***
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
SSD Samsung MZ-76E1T0B/AM
McAfee Antivirus Software was in use at time of issue.

Previous APU and SSD being used when BSOD started occuring
AMD A6-6400k Duo Core Frequency (GHz) 3.5
SANDISK SDSSDA-240GB
Was using two HDD for primary Storage
1st a WD 2TB HDD
2nd a Samsung 460GB HDD

Here are the conditions
I was using the Sandisk to run windows 10 as OS slave
switched to Samsung 1TB SSD after issues began.

I was using four programs primarily, running from a SATA connected HDD previously running Windows Vista 32bit. All programs below in the Samsung HDD are 32bit (The drive was almost full).
Trainz 12 build 61388, Google Earth Pro being used side by side.
Or use of Autodesk Inventor then importing to Autodesk 3DS MAX to import into said Trainz 12 above
During use of Trainz 12 if the computer was processing field of depth with a large number of high poly count objects, the BSOD would occur.
When using high number of browser pages BSOD would occur.

After SSD and APU swap,
Errors persist with the use of Think or Swim on new SSD or using previous software above.
Now if I have the computer running long enough it will still throw a BSOD
I have disconnected the other two HDD and have been going back and forth between the two SSDs, still getting the same errors
I will get these three primary BSOD warnings, I haven't seen any other BSOD warning aside from these.

*KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
*APC_INDEX_MISMATCH
*IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

So far I have been following this video by britec09
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsJeVnx-Hkg

going through I have Run the following on the command prompt

C:\WINDOWS\system32\sfc / scannow (No issues)
C\:WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online / Cleanup-Image /Check Health (No issues)

I did a standard Memory scan using Windows Memory Diagnostic application

I am still going through the video slowly. Life priorities have taken time that would have been used to check myself.
If any one has any ideas or commands I should run (aside from deleting system32, Tumblr-4chan war reference) please let me know.
I am considering running a scan on the Motherboard BIOS
As a last resort I am prepared to attempt a fresh install with a new copy of Windows 10 I just received for use on the Samsung SSD. Otherwise I will slowly being to replace the MB with something newer.

marinemania

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

Open Windows File Explorer

Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump

Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop

Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows

Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder

Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)

Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file(s) through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/trLyd4sh/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:030121-8531-01.dmp (Mar 1 2021 - 22:33:20)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: chrome.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 17 Min(s), and 05 Sec(s)

File information:030121-8437-01.dmp (Mar 1 2021 - 22:14:18)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 07 Min(s), and 06 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/fm2a88x-itx+/
There is a BIOS update available for your system. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
based on age of drivers alone, I suspect the problem is the internet drivers
Mar 31 2013L1C63x64.sysQualcomm Atheros AR8151 or AR8152 NDIS 6.30 Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver http://www.qualcomm.com/drivers/
Jan 28 2016athw8x.sysAtheros Wireless LAN driver (Qualcomm)
May 18 2016btfilter.sysQualcomm Atheros BT Filter driver https://www.qualcomm.com/

ugh is all I can say about Atheros drivers.
Do you use WIFI or Ethernet?
Trainz 12, Google Earth Pro, Gmod, TF2, Portal, Steam Etc.
they all internet related so i am guessing (errors didn't say a driver name so I look at old drivers instead) Chrome crashed which is a clue.

I don't think new BIOS would help, it only adds support for a CPU you don't have. If PC has worked fine for 6 years on current BIOS, updating it generally doesn't help.

Mar 1, 2021
I'm using wifi on this machine.
This is some of the info I pulled from the ASRock website
  • WLAN : 1 2T2R Dual-Band WiFi 802.11n + BT v4.0 Module + 1 ASRock WiFi 2.4/5GHz Antenna

Colif

Win 11 Master
http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Atheros_AR5B22 chipset of the Wi-Fi - i can't see anything newer than the drivers you have.

Now I don't know if it is internet drivers but I have been seeing people with newer Wi-Fi drivers than yours have problems this year so at this point I would normally suggest you use Ethernet but on your PC those are older still. You might need to buy a new WIFI adapter, one that is marked as any one of these 3 as they all mean the same thing - WIFI6/AX/AC2100 - they might cost more but they are the newest standard and won't have driver problems for a few years (most likely, I don't know the future).
make sure to buy one with its own antennae's, I have seen people accidentally buy the ones that go into laptops, they won't work on desktops.

Mar 1, 2021
Hey again, I'm an looking into replacing the WiFi card in the mini pci-e port.

I'm comparing between three cards. All of them include the adapters for laptop m.2 to pc mini pci-e.

The choices are
Fenvi MPE-AX3000 Wi-Fi 6 Wireless Dual Band 2974Mbps

Wireless Mini PCI-E Wi-Fi 6 Intel AX200 Adapter Kit 2974Mbps

Wi-Fi 6E Mini PCI-E Intel AX210 Dual Band 2974Mbps

I'm looking for some opinions.
I will also be trying to set off the BSOD
APC_INDEX_MISMATCH
Will update soon.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't know which of those would be best, they all look the same. Its hard to tell with bottom 2 as they don't have brands
My last 2 motherboards have had Wi-Fi built in, and since last one is only 6 months old I haven't had the need to upgrade them - and I mostly use Ethernet anyway as it is faster as our router has older WIFI version than my WIFI adapter anyway.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/yo7z6j5r/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:032421-9078-01.dmp (Mar 24 2021 - 21:19:39)
Bugcheck:VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR (119)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for amdkmdag.sys
Probably caused by:dxgmms2.sys (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 25 Min(s), and 02 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.