[SOLVED] Windows 10 BSoD - can I fix and reboot?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

netrate

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
Here is my situation with my windows 10/window 7 dual boot (two separate SSD's)

Windows 10 stopped booting. It has been working for approx 1 year.

I have tried multiple ways to get it to boot, nothing is working at present that I have tried. Windows 10 is partitioned on a 500 gig SSD Samsung EVO drive

Here is what happened:
Sunday, booted to windows 10 from my dual boot drive (win 7/win 10) -- I am using EasyBCD

Windows 10 :
Desktop Icons did not appear, task manager did not work, task bar did not appear
Rebooted several times, with the same result each time

What I have tried :
* NOTE : I have unplugged my win 7 drive during these attempts *

1. Booting to win 10, I managed to get to the Advanced Options, Troubleshooting and tried a the advanced options REPAIR - didn't work
  2. Used the Media Creation Tool, booted to it USB and tried a MCT REPAIR - didn't work
  3. Tried using cmd from Troubleshooting - fixboot, fixmbr etc in the command prompt - successful in the CMD, but did not fix the problem, will not boot
  4. Tried using the Advanced Option RESTORE drive using the MCT - using the option to keep my personal files - went to 47% before failure, reverted changes
  5. Using the Advanced Options/ Troubleshooting, I have tried uninstalling recent updates - didn't work
  6. It will not let me use F8 and boot to SAFE MODE in advanced options/troubleshooting - does not work
  7. Stop code 0xc000021a - BSOD
  8. The integrity of the drive is 99% according to Crystal Disk Info
  9. There are no system restore points (I have learned my lesson now)
  10. It has been suggest that I run chkdsk /r , but after reading this article, I am afraid of doing that without backing up the entire drive first
www.datanumen.com/blogs/4-top-risks-when-you-run-chkdsk-on-hard-drive/#:~:text=CHKDSK%20is%20able%20to%20check,unrecoverable%20damage%20to%20your%20drives.&text=Windows%20has%20a%20native%20disk,is%20misused%20in%20some%20cases.
11) To repeat - I cannot boot to win 10 so I cannot execute any programs or command inside the OS. I can only use CMD.

I am at a loss how to proceed. As you can see, I have not been idle and I have done some searching on how to repair this, but nothing I have tried seems to work. Wondering if anyone has another idea or two or three?

I have been posting on a couple of forums trying to get to the bottom of this because it is my work computer. I apologize if that upsets anyone. I don't want to come across as pushy or ungrateful, I just really want to get this fixed.

Reactions: skojo67
Solution
Nothing seems to work.

well, that leaves formatting the various system partitions BUT NOT THE windows partition or the data partition.
then attempt the various fixes (bootrec.exe commands)

like in this Fixboot: Access Denied in Windows 10 – Solved [5 Methods Included] (diskpart.com)

-------------
only time I have seen access denied is when the action is being applied to the wrong drive and the drive had been write protected
so they don't mess up the wrong partition. ie during a window upgrade install that fails and leaves your windows drive write protected.

in this case you would use diskpart.exe
then
list volume
select volume 0
attrib volume

and you might see it as being read only

help attrib volume
shows...
from disk management image.
Disk 0 looks ok

disk 1 drive d: is wrong Should not have a drive letter or can have any other letter except (c, d, e or what your DVD is assigned to)
drive f: is wrong Should be drive D:
drive g: is wrong Should be drive E:

if you are now booting off of disk 0, you should be able to reassign the drive letters in the disk management utility.
or you can still go into diskpart.exe and make the changes.

also, after you get proper mapping of drive c: d: and E: then all of the standard repair tools should start working again (just FYI)

attempting to boot with the wrong drive letter settings should not hurt any thing. you just might end up creating pagefiles on the wrong drives and have programs looking for their data on the wrong drive. example the shadow copy service looking on drive e: when your old drive E: was mapped to drive G:
(these problems will be corrected when the drive assignments are corrected)

after you get the system booting normally, you can then do cleanups on the drives to free up file space if you still need to.

netrate

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
I have updated the drive images so it is easier to see what is going on. My laptop is old and the cache is not updating, so forgive me for the multiple replies as I did not see JohnBL reply when I updated.

I have finally managed to use MR to back up both my C and D drive, but still cannot:

1. Boot to win 10 - repair does not work
  2. Boot to USB MCT - repair does not work
  3. chkdsk - no problems
For some reason I cannot upload the new pics or use urls. IT tells me "Something went wrong contact admin". Going to try with my brave browser next.

Here it is only the Win 10 drive
Chkdsk screen 1 : https://pasteboard.co/JEOfHZ2.png
Checkdsk screen 2: https://pasteboard.co/JEOi0gq.png
Diskpart updated (after some more work on it) : https://pasteboard.co/JEOijCK.png

Last edited:
I have updated the drive images so it is easier to see what is going on. My laptop is old and the cache is not updating, so forgive me for the multiple replies as I did not see JohnBL reply when I updated.

I have finally managed to use MR to back up both my C and D drive, but still cannot:

1. Boot to win 10 - repair does not work
  2. Boot to USB MCT - repair does not work
  3. chkdsk - no problems
For some reason I cannot upload the new pics or use urls. IT tells me "Something went wrong contact admin". Going to try with my brave browser next.

Here it is only the Win 10 drive
Chkdsk screen 1 : https://pasteboard.co/JEOfHZ2.png
Checkdsk screen 2: https://pasteboard.co/JEOi0gq.png
Diskpart updated (after some more work on it) : https://pasteboard.co/JEOijCK.png
your drive letters are still assigned incorrectly
you have drive c: assigned to a 579 mb volume
This is way too small for windows and can not be the correct windows location)

drive d: is set to a 116 GB volume. This either your windows 7 or windows 10 ( I would guess it is windows 7 )

drive f: is 348 GB drive( should be your data drive or your windows 10 . I am not sure)

so,
assign your 579 mb partition to any letter other than c,d, e, or G:
assign your 116GB partition to drive c:
assign your 348 GB partition to drive d:

any partition that has a size in MB is too small to have a windows root directory on it. so they should not have the drive assignments of C, d, e or G:
you want c to be one version of windows (7)
you want d: to be another version of windows (10)
you want e: to be a data drive (if you still have one)
you want G: to be your DVD drive

chkdsk does not need to be run again.
the system should just boot if you have these drive assignments correct.
so after you make the changes in diskpart you want to list all of the drive assignments and confirm them before you attempt to reboot.

the crazy thing is when you boot from the usb thumb drive, it can also force the drive assignments to get reset. All your data is still there just not in the spot the boot loader is looking.

Last edited:

netrate

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
Update : I tried to do what you said
I assigned C drive 579MB to R drive
I assigned D drive 116GB to C drive

Rebooted and it didn't boot.
Next, I booted back to Diskpart, windows reverted everything back to what it was before.

NOTE : this is an update of diskpart after the above was tried.
I went into disk part, selected the volume, assign letter =r
and then I selected a different volume, assigned that to c
https://pasteboard.co/JEP6Xys.jpg
REbooted.
https://pasteboard.co/JEP4HZH.jpg

Last edited:
Update : I tried to do what you said
I assigned C drive 579MB to R drive
I assigned D drive 116GB to C drive

Rebooted and it didn't boot.
Next, I booted back to Diskpart, windows reverted everything back to what it was before.

NOTE : this is an update of diskpart after the above was tried.
I went into disk part, selected the volume, assign letter =r
and then I selected a different volume, assigned that to c
REbooted.
https://pasteboard.co/JEP4HZH.jpg
make the drive assignments, then list them out again, then exit the diskpart.exe
and then go back into diskpart and list the volume drive letters and see if they are still correct. we need to know if they are getting saved correctly.
if they are correct after you go back into diskpart, then exit and reboot.
after the reboot, go back into diskpart and see if the drive letters have changed.

netrate

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
ok will do right now
EDIT :
It is exactly the same. Here are the two pics. I have highlighted the one so you can see where I exited diskpart and then went back in. Then rebooted, BSOD and then advanced options to the command prompt and then disk part again.

Exit and re-entry to disk part after assigning letters:
https://pasteboard.co/JEPa8rK.png

Reboot and back into cmd disk part:
https://pasteboard.co/JEPaoG1.png

Last edited:
if the drive letters are getting re assigned on boot, then the intel rapid storage driver is making the change.
you would have to tell the system not to use the driver, this might be a bios option for the sata controller
you would have to go into bios, find the settings for the sata controller and change it
from something like RST to AHCI
then windows will attempt to boot without the intel controller driver.
but this would assume that the microsoft windows AHCI driver has not been disabled.
and you would have to run diskpart again to confirm the drives letters are in the correct assignments.

biggest problem will be if the AHCI driver is disabled. then you might get
STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE

normally you enable the driver before you remove the intel rapid storage driver.

Is doing that going to cause more problems? Am I still going to be able to boot? I'm trying to find it in the BIOS (AMD, not sure if that makes a difference) and can't find it.

EDIT : is this it?

https://pasteboard.co/JEPfBOk.png
yes that is the setting. problem is you are in IDE mode.
this is a mode that people have not used for a long time. IDE should be a subset of AHCI so give it a try.
it should not cause any problem. if you can not boot then you would just change it back.

AHCI should be much faster than IDE.

netrate

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
You aren't going to believe this, but it reverted it back, even after I switched it in the bios.

So to be clear. I am not using AHCI
Went into the CMD, changed the C to R and then D to C.
Rebooted. BSOD
Rebooted into advanced options CMD / Disk part

The c drive is still the 579mb drive

Trying it again, see if I did something wrong...

EDIT : yep, it reverted it back again. Nothing seems to stick.

Last edited:
sorry, at this point boot up to a cmd prompt and run
bootrec.exe /scanos
bootrec.exe /rebuildBCD
in the hopes that the scanos will find your copies of windows and make the assignments correct and rebuild the boot info
I am just not sure what it will do with your dual boot configuration.
(running all 4 of the commands from below should not hurt anything either, I would try it before I gave up on fixing your dual boot)

---------------
if that fails to work, you will have to remove one drive at a time and run these commands on a single drive to get it to boot.
bootrec.exe /fixMbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot
bootrec.exe /scanos
bootrec.exe /rebuildBCD

at least you will have two drives that can be plugged in one at a time to boot.

Use Bootrec.exe in the Windows RE to troubleshoot startup issues (microsoft.com)

I

netrate

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
Before I do that, what does this look like to you? I was going to try the Macrium Reflect repair disk : https://pasteboard.co/JEPuz9d.png

Does this have the potential to work? I don't know which to select, because there are no size/vol listed...

EDIT : there is only one drive in here - only has been the win 10 drive. The second drive (win 7) has not been hooked up to the computer.

sorry, at this point boot up to a cmd prompt and run
bootrec.exe /scanos
bootrec.exe /rebuildBCD
in the hopes that the scanos will find your copies of windows and make the assignments correct and rebuild the boot info
I am just not sure what it will do with your dual boot configuration.
(running all 4 of the commands from below should not hurt anything either, I would try it before I gave up on fixing your dual boot)

---------------
if that fails to work, you will have to remove one drive at a time and run these commands on a single drive to get it to boot.
bootrec.exe /fixMbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot
bootrec.exe /scanos
bootrec.exe /rebuildBCD

at least you will have two drives that can be plugged in one at a time to boot.

Use Bootrec.exe in the Windows RE to troubleshoot startup issues (microsoft.com)

I

you should also check the time and date that is in bios. if the battery backup on your motherboard dies, it is very common for the bios to revert to a default of IDE mode and the system runs much slower. the only thing people will notice is that the time and date also revert back to some default date.
motherboard have a small dime size battery that backs the info up. they look like this:
battery backup of cmos - Bing

netrate

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
This is being run from the win 10 advanced options. NO USB

x:windows/system32
bootrec.exe /scanos

And it says "Total windows installations : 0"??????
_
Booted using MR USB :

I tried using Macrium Reflect repair kit.
It seems to work, but when I booted again, I got this :

https://pasteboard.co/JEX58lH.png
__
Then I booted to the MCT USB:

bootrec.exe/ scanos

again and got this :
https://pasteboard.co/JEX9rdx.png

Nothing seems to work.

well, that leaves formatting the various system partitions BUT NOT THE windows partition or the data partition.
then attempt the various fixes (bootrec.exe commands)

like in this Fixboot: Access Denied in Windows 10 – Solved [5 Methods Included] (diskpart.com)

-------------
only time I have seen access denied is when the action is being applied to the wrong drive and the drive had been write protected
so they don't mess up the wrong partition. ie during a window upgrade install that fails and leaves your windows drive write protected.

in this case you would use diskpart.exe
then
list volume
select volume 0
attrib volume

and you might see it as being read only

help attrib volume
shows the commands to change the read only state
the command would be
(select the volume then)
attributes volume clear readonly

____