[SOLVED] Windows 10 BSOD during game

DustinKU

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
I am having a hell of a time with BSOD's when playing 7 Days to Die. I have tried to get it to happen during other games but so far 7DtD seems to be the issue. It's just a little confusing as to what is going on because I am getting various errors (below). I have updated all of my drivers as that seems to be a popular culprit, but that didn't really work. I'm pretty much at the point where I say screw it and just don't play 7 Days to Die. I validated files, as well. I even reapplied thermal paste to the CPU because I noticed it spiking in temps. Ran memtest and all four passes turned up zero errors.

My system is i7-8700K, GTX 1080, 16 gb DDR4 RAM

I don't really know. I ran into an issue with this system several months ago that made me have to replace the motherboard and CPU... now this is happening. Maybe I should just reinstall Windows? Would CPU temperature spikes cause this? Failing hard drive? I'm at a loss.

On Mon 4/29/2019 6:43:45 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\042919-9046-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1AA0A0)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF71FA4BCF3A0, 0x2, 0xFFFFF802505046AA, 0xC)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 4/29/2019 6:43:45 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!MmProbeAndLockPages+0x12E9)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF71FA4BCF3A0, 0x2, 0xFFFFF802505046AA, 0xC)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 4/28/2019 11:07:12 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\042819-6671-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF803AB8CEB7C, 0xFFFFD508A6216C90, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

On Sun 4/28/2019 10:47:25 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\042819-6031-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x7DC0FF8D, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8007DC57045)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.

On Sun 4/28/2019 2:12:30 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\042819-6312-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xF7 (0xFFFFF30BF20C5914, 0x9E6CF20C5914, 0xFFFF61930DF3A6EB, 0x0)
Error: DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER
Bug check description: This indicates that a driver has overrun a stack-based buffer.

On Sun 4/28/2019 12:08:59 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\042819-8437-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hardware.sys (hardware)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC000001D, 0xFFFFF803BE5F1ECA, 0xFFFFFE052965EEA0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: hardware.sys .
Google query: hardware.sys SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Solution
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/k31S.html

File information:050119-7281-01.dmp (May 1 2019 - 20:01:20)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: 7DaysToDie.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 23 Hour(s), 32 Min(s), and 24 Sec(s)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z390-H-GAMING/
There is a BIOS update available for your system (version 2401). You currently are using version 1202. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you go to C:\WINDOWS\Minidump
copy the files in folder to another folder
upload copies from new folder to a file sharing website and share the link here, I will get someone to convert dumps

All Whocrashed is blaming is the windows kernel which is what crashed but it was pushed. ntoskrnl & ntkrnlmp are both Windows kernel files.

what are the rest of specs of PC?

Did you fresh install windows after replacing motherboard/CPU?

DustinKU

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
I guess I didn't have dumps configured properly so I don't have the ones from before, but I just ran 7DtD again and created another BSOD, dump file downloadable here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvyzayxy6u53dtn/050119-7281-01.dmp?dl=0

I did not do a fresh install of Windows after replacing the motherboard and CPU.

Specs of PC:
ASUS ROG Strix Motherboard
i7-8700k CPU @ 3.70GHz
Bios version 1202 12/7/2018
RAM: 16 GB DDR4
EVGA GTX 1080 GPU
480 GB SSD from PNY (where Windows is)
1 TB Samsung SSD (where games are stored)
Wireless Network PCI card

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/k31S.html

File information:050119-7281-01.dmp (May 1 2019 - 20:01:20)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: 7DaysToDie.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 23 Hour(s), 32 Min(s), and 24 Sec(s)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z390-H-GAMING/
There is a BIOS update available for your system (version 2401). You currently are using version 1202. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
do you use wifi or lan?

Update Wifi drivers here - https://support.killernetworking.com/download/killer-drivers-installation-64bit-3/

LAN drivers are this year.

Your VPN drivers are from 2013

Bios update could help as your version of Intel Management Interface Engine is newer than your BIOS and could be sending requests the old one cannot support.

scroll through this to page 3-28 which shows how to update bios via internet connection - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../E14867_ROG_STRIX_Z390-H_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

DustinKU

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Thank you both for the support. I believe it was the BIOS. I updated to 2401 and started up a game of 7DtD and the first map was successfully created with the same seed I was trying before.

Latest posts