[SOLVED] Windows 10 BSOD KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE on x64 computer ntoskrnl.exe+3f5e40

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AholicKnighter

Reputable
Dec 3, 2020
0KrK7Gs.png

After my computer has been BSODing over and over I have restored my computer from a backup, and for some reason, the BSODing is happening again. I have uploaded the memory dump for anybody to look at:

Memory file dump download: https://ufile.io/sewmi1m9

Solution
if you have done memtest while still getting BSODs with memory corruptions
run aida64 stress test with cpu+ram selected, 30minut stress test should be enough, if you get hardware error detected, try increase ram voltage a little bit (by +0.05volts) or reduce ram speed and repeat test
if ram stress test passes (either ram was ok or you changed frequency/voltage),
then run driver verifier
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/driver-verifier
next BSOD should be with driver in report (if its driver issue)

AholicKnighter

Reputable
Dec 3, 2020
Did you enable driver verifer? if it is on, its not showing you any errors or driver names
It is actually always running but in its default settings it shouldn't have any effect on windows.
It just seems odd you get a file system error turning it off, as we have tested ram & storage so there aren't many other parts involved.

try running Prime 95, it checks CPU & RAM
https://www.mersenne.org/download/
Prime 95 how to Guide: http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

Sorry for not further explaining, me getting NTFS BSoD's has always occurred, and I have no idea why it keeps happening. I am going to see if my computer crashes again after I uninstalled vanguard as driver verifier said that was the driver causing the problems.

AholicKnighter

Reputable
Dec 3, 2020
It appears that the ntoskrnl.exe crashes has stopped, but the next driver that is causing problems is NTFS.sys, which was causing other errors on Page 1.
oZsK5Jt.png

The most recent crashes were caused by the NTFS.sys driver, and they have been both zipped up for anyone to view. You can download it here: https://ufile.io/fhxd40c7

Colif

Win 11 Master
So it seems this crash on 9th of June - link - was actually the GPU drivers But those have been fixed since. or replaced at least.
this is two of the NTFS errors - link

Did you run Prime95 like I suggested before?

ntfs - new technology File System. its been used by every version of windows since Windows XP. Its not going to be cause of error, more victim. It, like ntoskrnl is what crashed. It only likely did that because something asked it to

can you run this for me, i might be able to find something via it that isn't showing up other ways. It will create a zip file, if you can upload to same place as dumps, I will see what I can find. https://www.sysnative.com/forums/pages/bsodcollectionapp/

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/qt80b74k/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:071621-12984-01.dmp (Jul 16 2021 - 12:06:43)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 20 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 41 Sec(s)

File information:071621-12671-01.dmp (Jul 16 2021 - 12:47:39)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 10 Min(s), and 36 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

AholicKnighter

Reputable
Dec 3, 2020
So it seems this crash on 9th of June - link - was actually the GPU drivers But those have been fixed since. or replaced at least.
this is two of the NTFS errors - link

Did you run Prime95 like I suggested before?

ntfs - new technology File System. its been used by every version of windows since Windows XP. Its not going to be cause of error, more victim. It, like ntoskrnl is what crashed. It only likely did that because something asked it to

can you run this for me, i might be able to find something via it that isn't showing up other ways. It will create a zip file, if you can upload to same place as dumps, I will see what I can find. https://www.sysnative.com/forums/pages/bsodcollectionapp/

Prime95 has been installed, is there any settings I should use or should I just run it right away and for how long should I run it for?

AholicKnighter

Reputable
Dec 3, 2020
5sfH2G1.png

Prime95 may have found the root cause, when doing the stress test using 12 workers, it stopped with a FATAL ERROR, which was a Hardware failure.

I'm guessing that the CPU is faulty or starting to die?

gremlinkurst

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
You really should have only a single third-party malware suite installed on your machine. With the virulent digital infections swarming the internet these days, it is (not accusing, just saying to anyone) the height of foolishness to depend upon a number of freeware applications to safeguard your security. You could get away with that fifteen years ago, but not today. There are God-knows-how-many malicious jerks cooking up all kinds of deviltry on their Ubuntu machines (which, incidentally, are almost impossible to infect, unless the administrator is the sort of rocket scientist that blindly goes OK-OK-OK-OK through all root permissions dialogues) for no other reason than they hate Microsoft or Apple or both. Personally, I favor Webroot. Twelve years ago I had a terrible virus I couldn't handle with all the freeware I had installed. Then I tried paid protection, and here's the list of all the "guys" that not only couldn't fix the problem, but couldn't even detect the nasty infection:
Bitdefender
Norton/Symantec
Kapersky
McAfee
Avast!
AVG
Malwarebytes
TrendMicro (this is an Evil Empire product, by the way...Luke...I am your father...)
ESET

There were a couple of others, but I can't recall them at the moment. Long story short: Too many cooks in the kitchen may not only spoil the broth, but ruin everything else, too. Pick one guy, not just a cook, to manage your "kitchen," but a chef. If you have to pay someone to work for you, then pay a guy who knows WTF he's doing.

AholicKnighter

Reputable
Dec 3, 2020
you can disable it in bios settings

I think I disabled it but what I also did was bump the voltage of the CPU + RAM up and that seemed to stop the BSODs for now, maybe it wasn't getting enough voltage and was the reason why it crashed, the computer has been up for 2 days now and no BSOD, will post again if it does not crash or crashes.
ICh4o9U.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Colif

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think I disabled it but what I also did was bump the voltage of the CPU + RAM up and that seemed to stop the BSODs for now, maybe it wasn't getting enough voltage and was the reason why it crashed, the computer has been up for 2 days now and no BSOD, will post again if it does not crash or crashes.

rounding errors can be fixed by giving the ram more power.

No point looking at BSOD if you have rounding errors.
note: what I mean above about not looking at BSOD means the results. If ram is not behaving right, any BSOD results can't be trusted.

lets hope that all it needs :)

AholicKnighter

Reputable
Dec 3, 2020
note: what I mean above about not looking at BSOD means the results. If ram is not behaving right, any BSOD results can't be trusted.

lets hope that all it needs :)

Maybe the voltage stopped the crashes because the computer has been up for some time now and no crashes whats so ever, maybe it was a voltage problem all along.

Reactions: Colif