Nov 18, 2020
So, to try and make this short i have been having issues with the known BSOD for about 3 months now... It started out of nowhere which is normal i guess. The first time my computer blue screened it just did a restart and everything looked fine. Not long after while loading back into a game it blue screened again, except this time it was a blue screen loop. I was unable to boot into a flash drive as when i tried even then it would blue screen before i could get to it to reinstall windows. Brought it in to GeekSquad and they said it was a bad hard drive. Waited and replaced the hard drive. The computer ran completely fine for about 2 days then again, blue screen loop after a couple blue screens. Brought it BACK up there and this time they said it was my motherboard. Got my motherboard RMA'd as the computer is under a year old. MSI "repaired" the product but when shipped back there was no info on what they repaired or if the motherboard was bad (Which they said would be in with the motherboard on arrival). So, built the pc again and had a fresh install of windows. This time the computer ran completely fine for about a week, week and a half. Then again, blue screen loop. At this point im starting to cut things down to what it could be, but every time i get something new or replaced it runs fine then blue screens again. The parts i have replaced - Hard drive, RAM and motherboard("repaired"). It's quite difficult to point out what exactly is wrong since i am unable to access the computer due to the blue screen loop. I've read hours of posts trying to figure out what could be the issue but it seems no-one has had a problem like i have at the current moment. I tried unplugging the gpu, and it worked, so i tried plugging it back in because i thought hey i might've just sat it wrong in its socket. When i plugged it back in the computer was fine. I played RUST with a buddy for about 2 hours, then when i got off it ended up blue screening. So i then unplugged the gpu again, and this time even with the gpu unplugged and removed it still blue screen looped. One thing that i noticed this past time is about 5 minutes before the blue screening occurred while on YouTube and at desktop, my screen flashed black twice and seemed like it sort of reloaded the desktop if you understand what i mean. This is quite frustrating to deal with since this is my first ever build and I'm not the smartest when it comes to troubleshooting. My GPU temps are completely normal and i never thought about tracking my cpu temps because this was never a problem but when i get into bios they seem normal too (around 30 or 40 degrees C i believe). At this point i don't know what it could be, it seems like everything that i look up can cause a blue screen and since this is my first build i don't have parts laying around to throw in to see if that was the bad component. So to anyone that is experienced with troubleshooting please offer some advice or knowledge so i can try and get this figured out, thanks.
[SPECS]
I7-9700k
EVGA 2070 Super
MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
500gb SSD with 2TB hard drive
EVGA 750+ Gold Series PSU
16GB TridentZ 3200MHz

[Some error codes that the blue screens have spit out]

Page_Fault_in_Nonpaged_area

KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

INTERNAL POWER ERROR

Whea_Uncorrectable_Error

[Notes]
While geek squad was looking at the pc, they tried installing windows onto the hard drive instead of the ssd and even with it installed on the heard drive it still blue screened.
The computer is very well kept. I have it elevated and it does not have any issued with dusk or any signs of overheating.
I have updated and reinstalled the GPU drivers as well as checked if all drivers in device manager were up to date before the loop and all drivers were up to date.
Ran memtest and 4 errors came up.
(Error codes from memtest)
Test 6: Addr: 55DFA3E8 Expected: 00000000 Actual: 20000000 CPU: 6
Test 6: Addr: 57DFA3C8 Expected: 00000000 Actual: 20000000 CPU: 6
Test 9: Addr: 314CDC04C Expected: DC48D961 Actual: 23B7269E CPU: 6
Test 9: Addr: 35445ED48 Expected: A5270964 Actual: 5AD8F69B CPU: 6
This was before replacing RAM

Last edited:
Solution
no, intel turbo boost isn't new, its been around around since 2008. You shouldn't need to touch it. Makes me wonder about CPU, if the crash after the intel test had been a WHEA error I would wonder even more, but Driver Irq errors should just be drivers.

I wonder if a clean install of win 10 might fix some of the bsod, as if the last motherboard was the cause, there could be settings that don't match the new motherboard and reinstall would force windows to grab all new drivers. Might also fix that turbo boost thing.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c...

Colif

Win 11 Master
So you replaced
Hdd (or was it the ssd?)
Motherboard
Ram

Try running this on CPU - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Test 6 [Block move, 64 moves]

This test stresses memory by using block move (movsl) instructions and is based on Robert Redelmeier's burnBX test. Memory is initialized with shifting patterns that are inverted every 8 bytes. Then 4mb blocks of memory are moved around using the movsl instruction. After the moves are completed the data patterns are checked. Because the data is checked only after the memory moves are completed it is not possible to know where the error occurred. The addresses reported are only for where the bad pattern was found. Since the moves are constrained to a 8mb segment of memory the failing address will always be less than 8mb away from the reported address. Errors from this test are not used to calculate BadRAM patterns.

Test 9 [Modulo 20, Random pattern]

Using the Modulo-X algorithm should uncover errors that are not detected by moving inversions due to cache and buffering interference with the algorithm.

https://www.memtest86.com/tech_individual-test-descr.html

wonder if it was ram. I know any fail in memtest means bad ram normally but last part of test 6 could mean its possibly another part of the memory system, the CPU.

[Some error codes that the blue screens have spit out]

Page_Fault_in_Nonpaged_area

KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

INTERNAL POWER ERROR

Whea_Uncorrectable_Error

Most of those could be drivers but not when the system keeps BSOD after you replace parts/motherboard.

All but WHEA error are mostly data errors meaning we likely looking at memory. Parts of PC that deal with memory
SSD - you tried hdd and get same problem
RAM - You replaced it and get same problems
Motherboard - only as its involved in everything - and you replaced it already
CPU - has memory controller
PSU - Only as if its not supplying clean power, everything in system will suffer

Nov 18, 2020
So you replaced
Hdd (or was it the ssd?)
Motherboard
Ram

Try running this on CPU - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

wonder if it was ram. I know any fail in memtest means bad ram normally but last part of test 6 could mean its possibly another part of the memory system, the CPU.

Most of those could be drivers but not when the system keeps BSOD after you replace parts/motherboard.

All but WHEA error are mostly data errors meaning we likely looking at memory. Parts of PC that deal with memory
PSU - Only as if its not supplying clean power, everything in system will suffer
Yes, i replaced the HDD, RAM and got the motherboard repaired. When i got the motherboard back it had some sort of liquid looking substance on it, im guessing it could've possibly been the glue that they used to repair it but i would think they would clean that up. It was excessive enough that it was very noticeable as soon as you look at it, it was kind of spread out everywhere. I got into contact with MSI to ask about it and they said to send it back to have it replaced which is what i'm waiting on right now. Once it gets in i will hook everything up and see if it has the same issue. I just found it weird that i got the MB repaired and the computer ran fine for about a week then the same error occurred again. I don't know much about how hardware failure works but i would guess that if it wasn't the motherboard the problem would come back immediately after installing and building again. So really what i'm confused on is if it was another component and i built everything again would a failing component let the computer run for about a week and a half before spitting out blue screens again?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wouldn't think they repair motherboards, I would have thought they simply replace them. Never heard of liquid on motherboard before, but i don't deal with many hardware problems, normally stick to working out windows ones. Maybe its something they do at Geek squad

Maybe we wait for new motherboard before seeing if problem needs fixing :)

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I wouldn't think they repair motherboards, I would have thought they simply replace them. Never heard of liquid on motherboard before, but i don't deal with many hardware problems, normally stick to working out windows ones. Maybe its something they do at Geek squad

The Geek Squad does not repair motherboards. Sounds like errant thermal compound.

Nov 18, 2020
The Geek Squad does not repair motherboards. Sounds like errant thermal compound.

Sorry, might've come off wrong. The liquid that was on the motherboard came back from MSI after they repaired it. So whatever is or was on the motherboard was left on there by them.

Nov 18, 2020
wow, once again... i repeat myself - I wouldn't think they repair motherboards, I would have thought they simply replace them.

Especially MSI. Makes you wonder if they running low on stock.
I apologize, i though you were talking about geeksquad repairing stuff. Yeah i'm not sure because i sent it to them the first time and they said they'd repair it and when i called the 2nd time they confirmed that the MB i had was the same MB and that they had repaired it. This time they said they would be replacing it so i guess we will see.

Nov 18, 2020
So you replaced
Hdd (or was it the ssd?)
Motherboard
Ram

OKAY. So, i got the motherboard back. Hooked everything up and it ran completely fine last night as i played DayZ for about 3-4 hours. Today about an hour ago i blue screened, since then i have gotten SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED, KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED, AND DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL. I got the last one (driver irql not less or equal) after doing the intel processor diagnostic for the second time. As soon as i finished my second time through and it said it passed i got that blue screen. Pretty confident with the new MB it is no longer in the equation. Any recommendations? Im going to try running memtest again even with brand new RAM to see if anything appears.

I have ran memtest. while running it i got a couple of errors before the program freezing, so i took one slot of memory out and the other stick ran till the 4th pass about 50% in before the program froze again with no errors. After that i thought maybe the brand new RAM i bought may be bad. I got a couple of blue screens while restarting and checking stuff so i decided to give it a fresh install of windows. -This is currently where i'm at.

[POSSIBLY SOLVED?]
After taking a close look into my BIOS, i realized that intel had its turbo boost enabled. I did a lot of experimenting with their diagnostics tool. When the turbo boost was enabled after the diagnostic would finish it would blue screen (my guess is because it has something to do with the voltage?). I then tried disabling it, and after 2 runs it did not blue screen. Re enabled to test again and after running the diagnostic again, it blue screened. Then i tried turning on XMP to see if that had any effect. By me doing this i was unable to boot into windows, and was stuck on a BSOD loop. after going back and disabling both XMP AND intel turbo, i booted up completely fine the first attempt. So, is the intel turbo boost something new? because i don't think i had ever enabled it, at most when i first build my pc i had enabled XMP but ever since the BSOD everything has said to keep it off to test stuff so i had not enabled it since before all of these errors.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
no, intel turbo boost isn't new, its been around around since 2008. You shouldn't need to touch it. Makes me wonder about CPU, if the crash after the intel test had been a WHEA error I would wonder even more, but Driver Irq errors should just be drivers.

I wonder if a clean install of win 10 might fix some of the bsod, as if the last motherboard was the cause, there could be settings that don't match the new motherboard and reinstall would force windows to grab all new drivers. Might also fix that turbo boost thing.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. copy that file to documents
  2. upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site,
  3. and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Solution
Nov 18, 2020

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. copy that file to documents
  2. upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site,
  3. and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem
I believe a couple of them did happen to be Whea errors as well as kernel security and system exception errors as well. - I will try to get you those dump files shortly, thanks for the responses. As well as all of this intel turbo testing i've done has been after the fresh install of windows. Currently, i've only gotten the Whea error as well as Kernel security , system thread exception and Kmode exception.