Question Windows 10 BSOD (PFN_LIST_CORRUPT & DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION)

Toms_lee

Prominent
Feb 14, 2021
Whenever I try to play games on Steam (GTA 5 & Verdun), after only few minutes of gameplay game either crashes itself or crashes my system with BSOD.
Over these three days I got 2 different BSOD stop codes, more frequently PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and today DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION.
BIOS, GPU, etc. drivers are all up to date and this never happened before.

14: kd> !analyze -v
  • Bugcheck Analysis *

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL
or above.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000001, The system cumulatively spent an extended period of time at
DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. The offending component can usually be
identified with a stack trace.
Arg2: 0000000000001e00, The watchdog period.
Arg3: fffff800712fa320, cast to nt!DPC_WATCHDOG_GLOBAL_TRIAGE_BLOCK, which contains
additional information regarding the cumulative timeout
Arg4: 0000000000000000

Debugging Details:
------------------
Not very familiar with dump files, so I am hoping for your assistance...
P.s. Not sure if that could be the case, but before this started I remember spilling water over my desk and it may have touched my headset or mouse cables... Noticed that those cables are made out of some kind of cloth(?), not sure how insulated are they

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

include the BIOS version and the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

Colif

Win 11 Master
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

PFN list is used by windows to track physical location of files on storage, so you should run chkdsk on your drives.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Toms_lee

Prominent
Feb 14, 2021
PFN list is used by windows to track physical location of files on storage, so you should run chkdsk on your drives.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
Thanks, here's link, hope it works for you: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArxBDlvSZOCzjwQschOMxfYSZ2ko?e=HrjffB
A little update though, I tried unplugging one by one those cables that were in water, seems like my headset (HyperX cloud 2) is causing this mess, but that is just a guess, I still hope for your assistance... Also I want to add that everything else, even Blender software and videos online except Steam games are working fine with this headset.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/8mfgu6hd/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:120121-8312-01.dmp (Dec 1 2021 - 05:31:13)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:2 Day(s), 12 Hour(s), 46 Min(s), and 55 Sec(s)

File information:112821-8984-01.dmp (Nov 28 2021 - 14:57:29)
Bugcheck:PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (4E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: MBAMService.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 28 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-Elite-V2-rev-1x
You recently updated your BIOS from F62a to F63d.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Reactions: Toms_lee

Toms_lee

Prominent
Feb 14, 2021
Thanks. Motherboard information is correct and yes I updated my BIOS, but I did it after first BSOD.
Still can't find the solution for this issue though

Colif

Win 11 Master

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you keep getting BSOD, supply dumps. they might offer clues.

most BSOD don't tell you cause, its a matter of figuring out patterns. 'Sometimes they do say driver name but not often enough I can rely on them.

dpc errors can be caused by audio drivers, so try updating realtek audio. Newer drivers here - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-Elite-V2-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver
try updating amd chipset drivers, new ones on same gigabyte site above.

Toms_lee

Prominent
Feb 14, 2021
I've got probably only one BSOD this morning (can't seem to find dump file though) and up until now I got few game crashes. Generally speaking crashes and BSOD are acting weird, sometimes when I play games or do something else they don't appear, sometimes they do. What is even stranger that sometimes with the crash follows BSOD and sometimes don't.
So far I've tried:
Updating LAN, audio, GPU drivers
Updating BIOS
Updating Windows 20H1 to Windows 20H2
Running DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth + sfc /scannow (nothing)
Chkdsk.exe & memtest
Even updated and then uninstalled Malwarebytes :D
Tried looking at event viewer. Didn't get much there either, but maybe judging from details that I added below someone could give me more possible solutions...
I could try reinstalling Windows, but because it would take me too much time due to large amount of files and programs that I would need to reinstall, I would really appreciate any other solutions, leaving this as the last step.
Faulting application name: Verdun.exe, version: 2019.4.29.60130, time stamp: 0x6102c4e1
Faulting module name: d3d11.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1202, time stamp: 0x899ced78
Exception code: 0xc000001d
Fault offset: 0x000000000004644a
Faulting process id: 0xf68
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7e85a04af2eee
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\WW1GameSeries\Verdun\Verdun.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\d3d11.dll
Report Id: c9c0731f-38ef-417d-8299-e259b64f12f8
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Windows cannot access the file for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program Verdun.exe because of this error.
Program: Verdun.exe
File:
The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
User Action
  1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
  2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
- It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
- It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
  1. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
  2. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
  3. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.
Additional Data
Error value: 00000000
Disk type: 0
Event ID: 1005

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
reinstalling win 10 is like giving up to me. It might fix it but you never know what cause was.

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor
MB - B450 AORUS ELITE V2
RAM - 16GB G Skill F4-3200C16-8GVKB
GPU - Nvidia something

what is rest of PC? I can only see so much.

Toms_lee

Prominent
Feb 14, 2021
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor
MB - B450 AORUS ELITE V2
RAM - 16GB(8x2) G Skill F4-3200C16-8GVKB
GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8GB
PSU - Corsair CX850
NVME - Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB
SSD - Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
HDD - 1 TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100

Toms_lee

Prominent
Feb 14, 2021
try downloading Magician and running scans on both Samsung drives - https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/
I think Toshiba drives now owned by Western Digital, so try running this on hdd - https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en&p=279
Ran a diagnostic scan on my main NVME drive and all is good (fairly new drive), but I can't run diagnostics on 850 EVO, it says "The selected drive does not support this feature". Updated Magician firmware, but still no luck. About Toshiba drive - software in this link does not detect it either. I can access data on all 3 drives without trouble though. Toshiba is the oldest drive, probably more than 4 years old.