Question Windows 10 - BSOD Same Time Every Week

AndrewK255

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014
Hello,

My brother's computer has been crashing on the same day every week (+ or - 8 hours) for a prolonged period of time (6+ months). It started immediately after completing his rig. Here are his specs:

Gigabyte Z370 HD3 Motherboard
Intel i5-8400 2.8GHz
G. Skill Ripjaws V Series (4GB x 2)
MSI GeForce GTX 950
EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold
WD 250 GB SSD

We've attempted several fixes during the troubleshooting process, to no avail. Here is what we've tried so far:

1. Three fresh installations of Windows 10
  2. A completely new SSD (upgraded from a 120GB Intel SSD to the current WD drive)
  3. Tested the computer for a week without a dedicated GPU
  4. Alternated out the sticks of RAM to test for potential RAM failure. Also performed a dedicated RAM test using designated software, which identified no abnormalities.
  5. Command prompt /sfc scannow - No integrity violations identified.
  6. Sent the Motherboard back to Gigabtye in March via RMA. After receiving the board, they labeled the RMA as "BIOS Errors" and apparently did stuff on their end to work on those errors. After putting the rig back together recently, the weekly BSOD errors have once again returned.
These crashes only occur while the computer is idle. For example, if my brother is playing a game on Saturday, the computer will not crash until shortly after he has finished his session. This does not happen on any other day of the week. We did not troubleshoot the PSU at all because his PSU was migrated from his previous rig, which was fully operational. Furthermore, the fact that the crashes are taking place while the computer is idle leads me to believe the PSU is not the culprit, although I could be wrong. No issues or telltale signs of dangerous temperature have been identified, so we don't believe the crashes are temperature related.

I can only believe that the motherboard still has some sort of issue in the BIOS that is triggering a weekly crash. Unfortunately, we do not have a spare motherboard that we could swap out for testing purposes.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what he should try next, I'd greatly appreciate it. This has been a frustrating experience to say the least.

-Andrew

Last edited:

btmack

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
What is the specific BSOD error message that you see? Or is it multiple/random error messages?

Without knowing anything else, if I had to guess there's an automated/scheduled task in Windows that is set to run once per week when the system is idle, and that task is somehow triggering the crashes (possibly due to a hardware problem). However, you've tried doing clean installs and replacing the SSD to no avail, sothe issue may be something else entirely.

Check Event Viewer (help) to look for events or logs that precede the BSODs. You can also use this to give you a summary of the BSOD events, to see what the errors actually are.

TRENDING THREADS