[SOLVED] Windows 10 BSOD when playing games

Hep

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2013
Hi guys/gals, was hoping someone could help me narrow down why this BSOD has popped up when playing multiple games, so far I have not had this issue when idle or browsing the web. The first time I had an issue, the game I was playing completely locked up and I was unable to cntrl alt delete to task manager and had to power down. Upon restarting, my PC started for 3 seconds then shutoff over and over again repeatedly. I let it sit for about 15 minutes then it booted up fine. The next few times, after playing again for a bit, I got the BSOD's. Each time this happens, the powerup shutdown cycle continues until I let it sit for a few minutes. I assumed it must be an overheating issue so I started monitoring the temps up until the next BSOD. CPU Temps were 60-68 Celsius and the Graphics card was around 75 Celsius at the time of the crashes. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Error Code:

On Tue 3/19/2019 4:48:05 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\031919-7984-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tcpip.sys (0xFFFFF80821B3A5CD)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80821B3A5CD, 0xFFFFF4846F4A6198, 0xFFFFF4846F4A59E0)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: TCP/IP Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

System Specs:

Windows 10
Intel I7-4790k
MSI Z97-A Gaming 7
Dominator Platinum 16g
Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080
PSU Corsair 1050 Watt
Thermal Take Water 3.0 Extreme

Minidump:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vy7ymqr3laaf1bf/031919-7984-01.dmp?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kdpxdozrupycfva/031919-223656-01.dmp?dl=0

Last edited:
Solution
Update the BIOS if necessary.

Update the drivers if necessary.

In both cases, "necessary" will be determined by if there ARE newer drivers available OR if you have never actually manually installed the manufacturer supplied drivers and simply have been riding on the Microsoft supplied drivers which is generally not the best idea unless it's very old hardware and there are no other drivers available aside from what MS can offer in terms of built in support. Usually that's not the case.

So, temperatures could FOR SURE be an issue, and I don't know what you are using to monitor or check them, but there are a lot of well known utilities out there that are commonly used that aren't worth squat. Use Core Temp or HWinfo, and don't confuse...
Mar 19, 2019
I did a bit of research and from what i could find out, the most ocmmon cause of this particular issue seems to be related to faulty drivers or sys processes. Might try updating your drivers (especially graphics) and see if that helps any.

That looks like a network driver error to me, offhand. I'd go to the product page for your motherboard model and download, then update, all of the drivers for network adapters, audio, chipset and storage controllers, regardless if you think you already have the latest or not. Often, windows 10 decides it has a better one and installs it automatically which tends to bork things up in a lot of cases.

I'd also make sure you are on the LATEST motherboard BIOS version, and if you are not, I'd update.

Here are the first steps to take when trying to solve these kinds of hardware problems. If you have already tried these steps, all of them, exactly as outlined, we can move along to more advanced solutions.

If there are any you have NOT done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First, make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second, go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

The last thing we want to look at, for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Here are the full instructions on running the Display driver uninstaller and CLEAN installing new drivers.

Hep

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2013
Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it. I'm a bit limited in time tonight to look at all the drivers and such but I did just give the PC a good cleaning and will look over the drivers tomorrow morning. I'm not even really a electronics guy, more of a mechanical guy and from my experience in that field I tend to really focus on the environment in which something breaks in my attempts at troubleshooting. Being that after a BSOD the PC seems to need a few minutes before It can boot again, it leads me to believe it's a temperature problem despite the software telling me I'm in the average range these chips can handle at the time of the errors. None the less, updating the drivers will be my next step as suggested. One question that also crosses my mind is, could this also possibly be a PSU issue?

Update the BIOS if necessary.

Update the drivers if necessary.

In both cases, "necessary" will be determined by if there ARE newer drivers available OR if you have never actually manually installed the manufacturer supplied drivers and simply have been riding on the Microsoft supplied drivers which is generally not the best idea unless it's very old hardware and there are no other drivers available aside from what MS can offer in terms of built in support. Usually that's not the case.

So, temperatures could FOR SURE be an issue, and I don't know what you are using to monitor or check them, but there are a lot of well known utilities out there that are commonly used that aren't worth squat. Use Core Temp or HWinfo, and don't confuse HWinfo with HWmonitor. COMPLETELY different set of elves behind the curtains.

If you use HWinfo, choose the "sensors only" option when you start it up after installation and UN-check the option next to "summary".

Core Temp should be self explanatory.

PSU could certainly, ALWAYS be an issue, regardless of the type of problem or what it might "look" like the problem is. Anything that is hardware, can be PSU. It can mimic any kind of hardware failure because all hardware relies on the PSU to supply clean power in ample capacity. When it doesn't, or if there are problems with the internal filtering that allows excessive ripple or wild voltage fluctuations that go outside of spec, problems from minor to major can occur.

Knowing the EXACT model number of your PSU and roughly how long it's been in service would be helpful in that regard.

Solution

Hep

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2013
@Darkbreez,

Well it looks as if it was indeed a temperature issue after all. After cleaning my overall temps dropped about 15c or so and I gave it some good loads over the next few days. It's still running fine and I went ahead and took your advice and ran a few updates as well in an attempt to correct some future issues from popping up. Thanks for the replies earlier and the support, I really appreciate it!