Windows 10 BSOD with multiple errorcodes after upgrading to Ryzen, B350, G.skill Flare X and 960 Evo

simon47_12

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017
Hi community!

I have recently upgraded from an old i5 2500k setup to a setup with Ryzen 1600x, MSI B350 Tomahawk, 32gigs of G.skill Flare X 2400mhz and a 960 EVO NVMe SSD - and a TP Link AC1900 Wifi-card . The rest of the setup is my old EVGA GTX970, a Crucial MX300 750gig SSD-storage, the old 750 watt PSU and same case.

Since then I have experienced multiple BSOD's with Windows 10 - I did a fresh install of Windows 10 Education (since I work at a university), and they come from multiple sources - so far I have experienced at least five different ones, some of which are, for example:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (What failed: ndis.sys)

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Other than these random BSOD's, the system seems "stable" - I have done a Memory Diagnostics twice, with no errors, since that was what a few guides suggested could be wrong, I have done chkdsk multiple times on all disks, I have stress tested CPU and GPU multiple times (with good results), I have all drivers updated (updated GTX970 driver multiple times), I have done a B350 BIOS update etc. etc.

I am a fairly gigantic nerd, so I know that the setup is assembled correctly - the odd thing is that I assembled a setup for my girlfriend, that is pretty similar to my setup, also with Windows 10 Edu, and there is no problems with her setup... She has Ryzen 1600, Asus B350, 960 EVO and 1050ti..

I'm stumped.. I have no idea what the issue is, and how to debug. The system seems okay until it just randomly crashes, and I have not yet found a pattern in why it crashes..

Hope you guys can help!

Solution

Hmmmm.... I know I ran into a similar situation when I did the same thing you just did...

iS_tech_geek

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

Did you reformat the spare 750GB SSD when you built the new rig? More often than not; switching from Intel to AMD (or vice versa) can cause instabilities within windows due to a totally different base. I know it sucks losing everything, but; try a fresh install of windows formatting ALL storage.

Hope that helps!!

simon47_12

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017

Thanks for your reply!

I did do a fresh install on the 960 Evo, with the Crucial unplugged, and then formatted the Crucial once the 960 Evo was up and running Windows

It did however boot the computer on the Crucial Windows installation the first time I turned it on.. But that shouldn't make any difference, I guess? :)

iS_tech_geek

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

Hmmmm.... I know I ran into a similar situation when I did the same thing you just did. Went from an old Intel to a Vishra. I kept my old OS drive unplugged and reformatted and installed the OS on a new drive. After I plugged in the old one; I got constant BSOD's until I reformatted the old drive.

Let me do some digging and I'll see what I can come up with.

Solution

iS_tech_geek

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

Also; try running a driver cleanup on the old drive... There may be a conflict with older drivers on said drive.

simon47_12

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017

Awesome of you! Thank you so much!

Would it make sense to do a fully clean install now, after the old SSD is cleanly NTFS-formatted?

iS_tech_geek

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

That's usually the best bet - in most cases.

Before you do that, though; try doing a driver cleanup. This here is a pretty decent one and I've had very good luck with it.