Hi All,

Having some Windows 10 crashes I can't figure out. System:

AMD Ryzen 2400G
Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 Motherboard BIOS F42d
Powercolor Radeon RX 570
16 GB RAM (2 x 8 GB)
WD Blue 3D M.2 SSD

Latest AMD Chipset Drivers installed, Radeon Software 20.2.1

So, several months ago computer was running great. Then, Windows installed the 1909 feature update and the computer became very unstable with random BSOD crashes. Some errors included stuff like:

KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

Plus several others. I did a system restore to previous state which seemed to solve the issue, since I read that 1909 was having problems with some AMD power saving stuff. But update installed automatically again, and the problems started up again. This time I was unable to do a system restore as it kept crashing, so I reinstalled Windows from scratch.

That was a couple months ago and the computer was running well. A couple nights ago, however, I installed Steam to play CS:GO but the first thing it did was install DirectX update. The next day the same sort of crashes started happening as before, without the 1909 update.

I tried a system restore to right after I finished reinstalling Windows, but the problems persist.

Sometimes it crashes when literally nothing is happening, it's just sitting on the desktop. I have been able to run FurMark GPU Stress Test and CPU Burner with 4k video stream for hours on end without crashes, then it would crash later waking up from sleep. I tried PCMark, and sometimes it runs fine and sometimes crashes.

I have done:

Ran Memory Diagnostics - no problems found
Ran CHKDSK - no problems found
Ran SFC /scannow - no problems found
Ran Enhanced SMART check on the SSD - no problems found
Enabled Driver Verification to see if it is a hardware driver - nothing conclusive as latest crash was explorer.exe crashing with win32kbase.sys, so a system driver.
Event Viewer just shows there was a crash but little information about it.

This seems like a memory problem to me, but memory diagnostics say it is OK. But looking at the Windows crash dumps, they do say stuff like:

WRITE_ADDRESS: fffff806437743b8: Unable to get MiVisibleState
Unable to get NonPagedPoolStart
Unable to get NonPagedPoolEnd
Unable to get PagedPoolStart
Unable to get PagedPoolEnd

EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at 0x%p referenced memory at 0x%p. The memory could not be %s.

FAULTING_IP:
win32kbase!SURFACE::vAppContainerOwner+4
fffff95e`7d5320f8 085748 or byte ptr [rdi+48h],dl

So, they so seem to be some memory errors...

So, I'm at a loss on what else to do... But right now I will try:

Updating MB BIOS to latest
Ensure all drivers are up-to-date
Take each stick of RAM out

Other than that, any other things to try?

Solution
so system files seams corrupted then check if os files repair will do something i would aslo use the wd software to test the ssd and your os is a genuine one or a copy .
With errors such as MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, you need to identify your memory via Part Number or link to it.

Descriptions such as 16 GB RAM (2 x 8 GB) are similar to unknown memory - no brand name, no memory speed, no kit size and no Single Module sale listing.

Any memory speed above 2667 MHz is considered an overclock on your motherboard. Try lowering your RAM speed to see if the problems go away.

Support for DDR4 3200(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2667*/2400/2133 MHz memory modules.
* Support for higher than DDR4 2667 MHz may vary by CPU.

mpjohnso

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
Any memory speed above 2667 MHz is considered an overclock on your motherboard. Try lowering your RAM speed to see if the problems go away.

Oof, ya... Running MemTest86 right now, so I'll do that after that is done.

I cancelled the MemTest86 and went to the BIOS. However, it shows:

Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) Disabled
System Memory Multiplier Auto 21.33
Memory Frequency(Mhz) 2133 Mhz

So it seems it was already set to a lower frequency.

CPU-Z in Windows also shows DRAM Frequency 1064.5 MHz

Last edited:

mpjohnso

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020

MemTest86 passed 100% of checks. So memory seems good...

mpjohnso

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
so system files seams corrupted then check if os files repair will do something i would aslo use the wd software to test the ssd and your os is a genuine one or a copy .

All memory tests, chkdsk, ssd checks, system file checks show nothing is wrong. It is a legitimate copy of Windows.

I increased the memory speed to 2667 Tuesday morning. Have pretty much been running PCMark/Furmark GPU/CPU Burner non-stop without crashes.

Is it at all possible too-low memory speeds could have been the cause? I would think not, but not sure what else to explain...

All memory tests, chkdsk, ssd checks, system file checks show nothing is wrong. It is a legitimate copy of Windows.

I increased the memory speed to 2667 Tuesday morning. Have pretty much been running PCMark/Furmark GPU/CPU Burner non-stop without crashes.

Is it at all possible too-low memory speeds could have been the cause? I would think not, but not sure what else to explain...
If you did not have XMP enabled, perhaps your memory timings were the problem.