Windows 10 cannot boot correctly after updating drivers

csandreas1

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017
I need to enter bios and choose the HDD windows is installed to enter windows. Otherwise i get a black screen and keyboard & mouse don't work. This happened after updating some drivers with driver booster 4. (gpu driver as well)

Solution
1) First of all, don't use that Driver tool.

ONLY use drivers from the motherboard site, NVidia/AMD or other hardware site that owns the product. Most of the Intel stuff will be done automatically via Windows 10.

You should also NOT change drivers if there's no obvious reason to. In general, once they've been installed you only occasionally need the NVidia or AMD drivers for your gaming video card (for newer games, but sometimes Windows fixes or added features).

You should always make a BACKUP IMAGE or at the very least set a RESTORE POINT prior to any major change like drivers.

2) Second, you have a few options to repair things:
a) the BEST option, if possible, is to rollback to a recent RESTORE POINT (System Restore). It gives...
1) First of all, don't use that Driver tool.

ONLY use drivers from the motherboard site, NVidia/AMD or other hardware site that owns the product. Most of the Intel stuff will be done automatically via Windows 10.

You should also NOT change drivers if there's no obvious reason to. In general, once they've been installed you only occasionally need the NVidia or AMD drivers for your gaming video card (for newer games, but sometimes Windows fixes or added features).

You should always make a BACKUP IMAGE or at the very least set a RESTORE POINT prior to any major change like drivers.

2) Second, you have a few options to repair things:
a) the BEST option, if possible, is to rollback to a recent RESTORE POINT (System Restore). It gives you the option to list what programs were installed since the last Restore Point so write those down.

Actually, you should set a RESTORE POINT right now so you can rollback to it in case you make things worse. (type "restore" into search and click on "create a restore point"...)

You want the most recent point BEFORE your problem started. Again, restore point made NOW then look for a prior point.

b) Another option is called an "In Place Upgrade" which involves creating a W10 Install disk via the MS Media Creation Tool then simply run "setup.exe" from that and follow the instructions (Recommend an 8GB or larger USB stick)

3) Change BIOS' boot order?
I can't understand that frankly. The BIOS boot order should have no connection to what changes you make in software. Plus, if you choose the HDD in the BIOS that is the SAME as the one already at the top of the list then WHAT DIFFERENCE does that make?

That doesn't sound right to me.

Is there ANY CHANCE that if you go into the BIOS' boot order the wrong drive is #1?

Are you using QUICK BOOT options or are you changing the actual order then SAVING it?

Or... do you have a DUAL BOOT setup? You can sometimes get weird issues there where it has to go to one drive first to get the boot loader which then tells it to go to another drive... not sure how you mess that up or why you'd need to change the drive order.

Solution

csandreas1

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017

I just press f12 then it appears to me the list of boot options then i choose #1 option which is the hdd windows is installed. I restored my gpu drivers i will see if the problem is fixed