Windows 10, cannot click on anything with mouse.

Max_Pare

Reputable
May 13, 2016
Today my pc was working fine, then the power went out, on now on my main windows account i cannot click with my mouse, the arrow moves around and highlights stuff, but clicking does nothing. Right now i'm logged in with another windows account i created through the keyboard and it works just fine. I tried restarting explorer.exe, rebooting the pc and running sfc /scannow, but nothing. What's going on?

If the power went out while it was running it could have corrupted something. Since it works in a different account that suggests something related to your old user account is the culprit. If possible (it certainly would help if your account were local as opposed to an email based cloud account) you can just go ahead with the new account and transfer any files you need into that one. Even if it is a cloud account you can make the original a basic account than make the new account the cloud-linked one (using the keyboard navigation methods to achieve this). Once everything is transferred, feel free to delete the old account.

This would be easier than resetting Windows and correspondingly having to re-install all third party software.

Max_Pare

Reputable
May 13, 2016

That seems a little drastic to to me, i've been using this very account for 3 years and i've managed to fix every single major problem that i've had with it. Something i just noticed is that i can click on stuff for the first 10 to 20 seconds after rebooting the pc and logging into the account for the first time, is this really completely hopeless?

Max_Pare

Reputable
May 13, 2016

Now i feel dumb, is it really that easy to switch account and port everything to that one? My my programs are not installed there, when i log in to that account it's like a fresh Windows install, and the main one is connected to my microsoft account, for the first time in a long time i feel lost with windows.

Look in your start menu for the programs. A lot of things won't show up on the desktop on a fresh account because they're not programmed to put themselves on all user desktops. As long as a particular program isn't restricted to one account (most aren't and some that can be have that as an option at install) they should work in the other account. As to the cloud, that can be unlinked and linked at will.

Max_Pare

Reputable
May 13, 2016

Alrighty thank you, i already got started, my main concern is that all my preferences and saved profiles for all programs are linked to that account, so this is still a big fat pita, but whatever, i can survive, thank you for your time!

Max_Pare

Reputable
May 13, 2016

Pardon me but i have one last question, how do i log in with my microsoft account to sync all my settings? i just can't figure it out.

First unlink the old account. You can do this in Settings > Accounts, where you would click the option to make it a local account. In the old account you can also change the new account to an administrator (in the Family and Other People subheading under Accounts). Then in the new account, go to the same section in settings and add your account.

Max_Pare

Reputable
May 13, 2016

I'm so sorry but i'm really tired so bear with me, i unlinked the microsoft account from the corrupted user, and now it's just a local account, but when i go in the other local administrator account (the working one) there is no "add account" button, it just says: ADMINISTRATOR, local acount, and my only option is "create your image".

Screenshot: https://gyazo.com/5f08e09390ff6c56c619e081cc34b929 (it's in italian, but you can figure out it says by just comparing it to the english one).

Maybe you have an older version of Windows 10 (every six months there's a special feature update - they don't use the phrase "service pack" anymore but it's a similar idea.) Those updates do change some things around and the settings app in particular hasn't settled on a final form.

What happens if you click the large image where it says "administrator?" Otherwise, look in the other sub-headings for the option.

Max_Pare

Reputable
May 13, 2016

Windows say's i have the latest version (last time checked 5 minutes ago), clicking on the icon does nothing but whatever, either i'm stupid and can't figure it out or my windows install is busted (quite plausible), either way sorry for wasting your time, i will go get some rest now as i've been trying to fix this issue for the past 3 hours straight, have a good night.

Max_Pare

Reputable
May 13, 2016
I haven't found an actual solution, but after fiddling around with windows accounts the issues fixed by iteself, so if you're having the same issue the only thing that i can tell you is to try to unlink your microsoft account from that specific account.