Jan 23, 2021
Hi all,

I built a computer last May 2020 and it has been working nicely (except for some recent RMA I had to do). However since the very beginning I experienced a black screen issue in Windows 10 (image remained black in the monitor even the computer looked running normally) everytime I did either one of these 3 things:

- Turn off the monitor and then turning it on again
- Suspend the PC
- Cold boot from power button (reset was always fine)

I could solve this issue few days after the installation by changing settings in My MoBo going to BIOS -> Advanced Settings -> Wakeup Events -> Selecting OS instead of BIOS

Everything was fine till recently I upgraded my MoBO from MSI Creator TRX40 to ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme Alfa and the issue started happening again. I tried to find similar setting in ASUS BIOS but I could not find it and I am almost sure it doesn´t exist.

My build is:
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG ZENITH II EXTREME ALFA
  • RAM: 256GB 8x32GB Corsair vengeance LPX
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X
  • GPU: 2 x MSI 2080Ti TRIO 11GB
  • PSU: EVGA 1600 P2 Supernova
  • SDD: 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus
  • HDD: Seagate 8TB
  • Monitor Acer Predator CG437K connected to the first GPU with 2 DP in order to reach 4K at 144Hz

My power plan is set to maximum performace so no disks, screens or whatever else turns off.

I read quite a lot about the black screen issues and I found information related to installing more than 1 Samsung EVO 970, the Display port management and Window 10 power plans and I think it could be solved in different ways but I wonder whether any of you can tell me which setting I have wrong in my setup.

I found a fix which is installing a second monitor in the HDMI port of my GPU. By doing this black screen issues don´t happen even in the main monitor.

I would appreciate some ideas.

Thank you very much

Solution
did you clean install win 10 after swapping motherboards?
cause getting same problem on 2 different installs would point to cause being hardware, not windows.