[SOLVED] Windows 10 can't complete updates

Oct 1, 2020
So there was an update for Windows 10 just now and Windows update installer said i need to restart my pc. So when i restarted my pc it started the update, then after reaching 5 or 7% my computer will restart 2x and after the second restart my computer says Couldn't complete update undoing changes to your computer then i thought it was just a minor bug. Then ran Windows update again and same thing happened. Then i checked windows update then found this message: Error Encountered: Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later: (Error Code: 0x80070003 )

Solution
D
You can always use the windows media creation tool to update your PC now without waiting

Depending on what the error is you might have to wait until they fix it before you can even install it but if you do an upgrade it might work
D

Deleted member 14196

You can always use the windows media creation tool to update your PC now without waiting

Depending on what the error is you might have to wait until they fix it before you can even install it but if you do an upgrade it might work

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
no, he is on 20H2 already, the media creation tool won't help unless he wants to try a repair install and then try to get CU again - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

I would see if the Windows update troubleshooter offers any help. it is on settings/update & security/troubleshoot

this might help as well -
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Hi comrade alpha this is the answer to your problem. The good thing is that you know the kb number of the problem.

Click on this link to open the web site up
Microsoft Update Catalog
Next type KB4598242 into the search box top right.
You will then be given a list of all the different version of that item , remember when using this site you must always enter kb as well as the number.
Please note it is YOUR responsibility to make sure you download the correct version for your particular build.

BTW after downloading this particular item you may notice the tiles in your start menu turn to a black background but thats not a problem !

hi colif i get that , what i am saying is that it was defiantly the 20H2 update that caused it and to prove it i uninstalled it and the tiles got their proper background colours.
The problem with 20H2 is that when it was first released it was in "optional" list but eventually it will be given to you in the background even if you dont want it.