[SOLVED] Windows 10 can't find second hard drive

Jan 4, 2019
Hi

All of a sudden yesterday my computer (Windows 10) couldn't find my second internal hard drive anymore. File explorer crashed when I tried to access a file on it and after rebooting (by powering off my machine) like 5 times I finally managed to get back into Windows with a working File Explorer.

And then my second hard drive wasn't working (I use it for all my random files since it's a 1TB Seagate Barracuda and my primary drive is a smaller 256GB SSD).

I can see the D drive in My Computer, but when I click it it says that it couldn't find the location.

I can find it in Disk Management where it says both used and free space plus capacity is 0 bytes (sorry that it's in Danish):
Disk Management

I found and tried using M3 Data Recovery tool and it actually manages to find my files. However the free version only supports recovering 1 GB files:
M3 Data Recovery

So since I don't feel like paying 70$ for a one time use I hope you guys can help me with a free solution.

This whole thing has "ruined" my trust in this HDD, so probably getting a new one - just need to recover the files first.

Hope you can help and thanks in advance!

Solution
The hard drive is corrupted. I have seen this issue before, where the filesystem suddenly got corrupted. I am saying this because Disk Management reports the filesystem as RAW.

I would use testdisk and photorec. https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

Its free stuff, but requires some knowledge to use it, as it is a command prompt-only application with no GUI. Used it a couple of times with success. The online documentation can also be found in the link I've shared above.

Hope this helps.

vincentneo

Proper
Dec 25, 2018
The hard drive is corrupted. I have seen this issue before, where the filesystem suddenly got corrupted. I am saying this because Disk Management reports the filesystem as RAW.

I would use testdisk and photorec. https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

Its free stuff, but requires some knowledge to use it, as it is a command prompt-only application with no GUI. Used it a couple of times with success. The online documentation can also be found in the link I've shared above.

Hope this helps.

Solution
Jan 4, 2019

Thank you - I'll give it a try.

Is there really no particular reason the filesystem suddenly got corrupted?

And does it mean the hard drive is done, i.e. would I risk it happening again even if i format it?

Jan 4, 2019

I'm not home right now, so can't test myself: can i use HDtune health on the HDD while it has this corrupted RAW file system? Or will I need to first recover my files then format it?

Jan 4, 2019

So I ran some tests in HDTune:

Info
Benchmark
Disk monitor
Extra tests
Health
Error scan quick

Only done with the quick error scan. The non-quick one is taking forever, but currently at 30% with only 2 damaged blocks (0.1%).

I don't know that much about it, but to me these results look good?
So what does this mean? Why did my hard drive screw me?

I managed to recover the files i wanted with Recuva (already had it open) to my main drive.
What do I do now - format the drive?

Jan 4, 2019

Ah okay! I'll get a new one then.

What hard drive would you recommend? This one is a Seagate Barracuda. Should I avoid that or was I just unlucky this time?

I want to buy both a new internal HDD to replace this one and a larger external drive that I can backup both internal drives too using Genie Timeline or similar.

Jan 4, 2019

Dunno if I'm overlooking something, but it seems like WD red/purple are only internal HDDs. I was actually thinking an external drive - because then it's separate from my computer.
Would an external drive connected via USB be too slow for backup? If not what drive would you suggest for that? :)

Jan 4, 2019

Partly because then I don't have to install a new SATA cable and partly because i figured it'd be clever to have it separate of the computer itself. Perhaps that doesn't make sense with a desktop computer.

But aren't WD Red and Purple HDDs kinda made for server stuff?
Red is some NAS stuff and Purple some "Surveillance Hard Drive".
Doesn't matter or what?

Jan 4, 2019

Ah okay!

But isn't continous backup (timeline stuff ala Mac Time Machine) mainly writing? So does that make Purple better even though you say Red is good for desktop use? :)