Question Windows 10 can't load correctly, if the Legacy Support is disabled - the screen remains off

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
Hello. So, the problem is recent. I used Windows 10 and various Linux distributions on the laptop, and they always loaded correctly, without any problems.

The problem happens when the UEFI mode is enabled, while the Legacy mode is disabled. If both modes are enabled, there won't be any problems.

Yesterday, I used the media creation tool to make a bootable USB drive with Windows 10, so I can install it on another laptop. The process of installing the OS went without any problems. The OS can be used, and it will load without problems if you restart the laptop. But it won't load normally, if you turn off the laptop, and then turn it on.

Yesterday i got the same problem, so i decided today to uninstall Windows 10, and to install the OS again, but to NOT download the optional updates i mentioned in the following thread:
I thought the problem was caused by some of the drivers. It turned out it wasn't, and the problem is still persistent even in the absence of downloading the supposedly problematic drivers.

After i installed the OS (again), i was able to install all available updates (without the optional ones) - the laptop restarted several times, and each time it loaded without problems. After all updates were installed, i decided to restart the laptop several times, so i can see if it has the problem of not loading the screen. It didn't show any problems, and each time the screen, the OS, and everything loaded correctly. However, when i turned it off, and then tried to turn it on, it didn't work properly.

When i pressed the Turn On button, the laptop got turned on, and reached the following screen (note: the following images are not mine - i found them on the internet):
View: https://imgur.com/a/m8wdIX6

When it loaded and was supposed to continue loading and proceed to the following screens:
View: https://imgur.com/a/0NhCGZT

View: https://imgur.com/a/YQFw3ky

The screen went dark - and it doesn't matter what buttons i press or how long i wait, the screen continued to be dark, and never proceeded.

The only way to make the system fully load, is to continually press the Turn On/Off button. When i do this while the screen is dark, the laptop will go into "sleeping" mode. After that, if i press the Turn On button again, the laptop will successfully load to the following screen:
View: https://imgur.com/a/dv9XhvY

After that, the laptop and the OS can be used without any problems.

To summarize it:

If the laptop is turned off, the system won't load and proceed beyond HP's loading logo. after i press the Turn On button.
If the laptop is turned on, it can be restarted without expressing any problems.
If the laptop is in 'sleeping' mode, it can load without expressing any problems.

"Solutions" i tried, but didn't work:

A quick scan with Windows Defender. This method didn't find any viruses.
Offline scan with Windows Defender. This method didn't find any rootkit/bootkit.
Rootkit scan with Malwarebytes. This method didn't find any rootkit/bootkit viruses.
Using PowerShell to scan for corruption. This method didn't find any corrupted files.

NOTE: I'm aware of other high-profile anti-virus programs, but i don't think it's necessary to use them. I think the 3 virus-scanning methods i used are enough.

Other "solutions" i tried, but didn't work:

The laptop supports two modes: Legacy mode and UEFI. Legacy mode is disabled, only UEFI is enabled. I reset the UEFI settings to their default, but the problem is still persistent.

Opened "Device Manager" to scan for drivers and download the drivers that are considered "best", according to Microsoft. This method didn't work. When I clicked on the option for checking for new drivers, the system responded by saying that the “best” drivers are already installed.

Used the Reset option in Settings -> Recovery. This, too, didn't work.

The problem happens when the BIOS settings are like that:
View: https://imgur.com/a/sirnfWb

If I enable both modes, everything will work. However, I don't want both modes to be enabled. I want only the UEFI mode to be enabled, and not the Legacy mode. When Legacy is enabled, Secure Boot is not available. I want Secure Boot to be enabled, which is why I want to keep Legacy disabled.

Also, keep in mind that although the screen doesn’t work, Windows 10 is actually fully loaded. How do I know this? Well, while the screen is dark, I can hear the sound of notifications.

So, what causes the problem? Can someone help me solve the problem? :(

Last edited:

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
I don't have the answer but a question: is Secure Boot worth the hassle, especially when you are an advanced user?
No, I don't need Secure Boot. However, the boot problem I have looks like a BIOS/UEFI virus. As far as I know, if a BIOS virus is persistent, there will be problems with booting the system. I have booting problems, as I already said.

Why don't I have problems when Secure Boot is disabled, but problems with booting appear exactly when Secure Boot is enabled? This is super suspicious, especially when you take into account the fact the laptop is second-hand, and it already had a lot of viruses because the previous owner misused the laptop.

I need to know whether or not the problem is caused by a BIOS virus.

Another reason i want to solve the problem is that i prefer to use UEFI, instead of BIOS.

I still haven't found a solution to the problem. If someone knows how to fix the problem, please, help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS