Windows 10 can't/won't access one of my drives

Mightyena

Honorable
Oct 21, 2014
Hi, I am currently having an issue with Windows 10:

I have 3 drives in my PC, all connected via SATA 3GB/s:
500GB OS drive (With Windows 7, Windows 10 and Linux Mint installed) (C: drive and I: drive)
1TB Data Drive (D:)
500GB misc drive (E:)

Fo some reason, windows 10 will not allow me to open any folders in E:\ - I can open the E: drive (it says "Working on it" for a long time, around 1-2 minutes, but eventually displays a list of folders), but as soon as I click on any folders, file explorer locks up, and it eventually returns "The operation could not be completed due to an I/O device error". I do not believe the drive to be damaged, as both Windows 7 and Linux Mint can access the disk without issue, and it tests good in SeaTools.

Does anyone know what is going on here, and how to fix it? I'm trying to migrate fully over to Windows 10, but the plague of issues are not making it easy!

Many thanks for any help,
James.

Solution

Mightyena

Honorable
Oct 21, 2014
Thank you for the advice. Booting into safe mode caused the drive to be able to be accessed normally, and when I booted back into normal mode it worked again, until I rebooted, at which point it went back to "I/O device error". Trying it with a different cable, in different SATA ports, the drive was no longer detected (appeared in device manager/BIOS/Win7, but not in the disk management program, or 'This PC') if it was plugged into any port other than SATA2_4.

So to sum up:
Safe mode fixes the issue for 1 reboot (works in safe mode -> reboot to normal -> still works -> reboot -> no longer working)
cable works with other drives, other cables produce same result
Doesn't appear in anything except device manager if a diferent SATA port is used.

All these problems are specific to Windows 10 though, the drive is perfectly happy in any of the above configurations under Windows 7/Linux Mint

Beginning to get rather confused now...
James

Hello again James

Would you please try checking the system files and drive for errors using the instructions given here? The process may take some time so please be patient and let Windows 10 to complete the scan and fix the issues automatically.

In case the above method doesn't help, you may want to Reset Windows 10 to Factory Settings (of course without removing your personal files).

Feel free to revert if further assistance is needed.

Cheers!! :)

Solution