Question Windows 10 - Change Where new content is stored

pawcoyote

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
Greetings, I just setup my new computer and made the change in the Storage Area in Windows 10, "Change where new content is Stored". It allows me to assign the correct drive to the different items. But when I go to install an application it still installs on the "C" drive. There are some applications that allow me to select where to install which is fine but for the one's that don't they automatically install on the "C" Drive. I want everything to install on my "D" drive unless I specifically state I want it to install on the "C" drive. I have gone into the Registry and changed the settings in there but then I cannot use any of the programs that were previously installed. So I had to revert the registry back to the original. What is the deal here and what am I missing.

Hello

Can you please confirm if you noticed which apps are installed or C:?

Changing the default storage location only makes the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps from Microsoft Store to install on your selected drive. This was something users couldn't do in earlier version of Windows.

The other traditional apps (those you download a setup.exe file for) still allow you to define a storage directory at the time of installation.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

pawcoyote

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
Hi and thank you. the traditional apps in some cases automatically install on the default "C" drive and don't have the option to change it during install. I was hoping that by selecting change where content is stored it would allow this. Oh well...