Question Windows 10 changes monitor wallpapers after restart ?

CptnPops

Honorable
Dec 27, 2016
Hey guys, I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 as I was having a pretty annoying issue where at random times, Excel, OneDrive, Outlook, etc. would spam open multiple instances.
It's really frustrating when it happens in the middle of a game. Funny enough, a random screenshot of this was taken as it happened. It would happen maybe once or twice a week, but I finally had the time to do a clean install.

Now for my issue at hand. Every time I would restart my pc, my monitor 1 or monitor 2 wallpapers would be reset and look something like this and this.
When I try to change the background for my second monitor under Personalize, I don't get the option to.
This is how it's supposed to look.

Anyone know why this is happening or how I can prevent it? It's more of an inconvenience more than anything, but this is the first time I've experienced it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hey guys, I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 as I was having a pretty annoying issue where at random times, Excel, OneDrive, Outlook, etc. would spam open multiple instances.
It's really frustrating when it happens in the middle of a game. Funny enough, a random screenshot of this was taken as it happened. It would happen maybe once or twice a week, but I finally had the time to do a clean install.

Now for my issue at hand. Every time I would restart my pc, my monitor 1 or monitor 2 wallpapers would be reset and look something like this and this.
When I try to change the background for my second monitor under Personalize, I don't get the option to.
This is how it's supposed to look.

Anyone know why this is happening or how I can prevent it? It's more of an inconvenience more than anything, but this is the first time I've experienced it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
If you select Settings, Personalization, Lock Screen, is Background set to Picture and not Windows Spotlight?

CptnPops

Honorable
Dec 27, 2016
Well, Spotlight is the reason why then. As it downloads a new image every 1-2 days from the internet.
If you set it to Picture it uses a link you supply or another image on PC. It won't change every day.

Even though it's my desktop wallpapers that get messed up, the lock screen being set to spotlight is what does it?

I didn't have an issue with this prior to this new install of windows

Colif

Win 11 Master
Spotlight only does lock screen
The choices in Settings/Personalisation/Background are
  • Picture
  • Solid color
  • Slideshow
If its set to Slideshow it will change based on a timer. (its possible this is default). probably similar duration choices as win 11
yqrU1Ti.jpg

I would look on 10 but my VM of 10 isn't activated so I can't look at desktop options.
If its set to Picture, it only changes when you want it to.
Solid color is self explanatory

Last edited: